How Do I Find The Kittens?

AMarieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,
I'm so thankful I found your forum. I need help finding a litter of kittens born to a feral mom outside in a residential neighborhood.

Background: We've been feeding a few feral cats in our backyard all winter and one has had kittens (probably in late March or early April)...somewhere. I called a rescue organization, they came out with traps and caught mom and one of the kittens (who is now in foster care, doing great and will be adopted out next month) but released the mom to care for the kittens they didn't catch. Now the mom has moved the remainder of the litter, the size of which we also don't know. Because it's kitten season and Rescue Org is really busy, they've asked me to watch to find out where the remaining kittens are, so they can come back but I have no idea where to look and I've exhausted all their suggestions:

I've tried following mom and when she sees me she immediately runs off in a different direction (never the same direction).
I've tried looking in what I presume would be the usual places she'd take them (under steps, under covered furniture) - nothing.
I've tried listening for sounds - nothing.
I've tried making a nice cosy place for her in our yard - no luck.

I live in a neighborhood where most people have fenced yards, so I can't really trespass into all those yards to look (even if I had abundant time to do so). I'm happy to ask my neighbors (most of whom we don't know yet) for access if I see her go into one of their yards, but without narrowing it down somehow I'm not sure where to start. Mom (and dad) still come for food every day. The goal is to capture the mom (and dad) and kittens as soon as possible so rescue group can foster kittens to be adopted out, mom and dad can be fixed, and then released back to the local colony, all of which Rescue Group has agreed to do. We also agreed to allow mom and dad to recover from surgeries here so that's all sorted too once they're caught.

We're trying to do the right thing, but unsure how. I'd really welcome some help in suggestions where else to look/how to look for these kittens based on the forum's extensive knowledge of mommy cat behavior. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible that the Mom only had the one kitten. I would have expected Mom to bring her kittens to stable food source by this time if there were more. Part of teaching her kittens to survive is teaching them where to find food. If she has surviving kittens she should bring them to the feeding station once they are mobile.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A trail camera would come in really handy for spying on them to see where they are going. But if you don't want to spend the money on that you will have to stalk the mom cat (from a distance so she doesn't see you) and see where she goes. The usually do not have the nest of kittens to far away from where she is getting fed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AMarieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible that the Mom only had the one kitten. I would have expected Mom to bring her kittens to stable food source by this time if there were more. Part of teaching her kittens to survive is teaching them where to find food. If she has surviving kittens she should bring them to the feeding station once they are mobile.
Thank you! That's what I thought too but I wasn't sure she'd bring them up close to the house. I'll move the food bowls further away from the back door so maybe she'll feel more comfortable if the bowls are away from the porch light. We know there is at least one more kitten; one of the rescuers saw a second kitten the night they trapped but it got away. We'll keep trying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AMarieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A trail camera would come in really handy for spying on them to see where they are going. But if you don't want to spend the money on that you will have to stalk the mom cat (from a distance so she doesn't see you) and see where she goes. The usually do not have the nest of kittens to far away from where she is getting fed.
The trail camera idea is BRILLIANT! I'll see if I can Amazon one today. We tried using a baby monitor but the field of view was too narrow. Thank you so much for that idea!