How do i discipline a cat?

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is the most affectionate cat I've ever seen. She loves to be pet and rubbed on, even on her belly. Sometimes she goes crazy and will randomly latch onto me and bite and scratch me. I don't know if she's playing or not but it's painful and would like her to stop. How can I get her to stop? She's usually good at listening, comes when i call her and stuff. When i dont give her enough attention she will paw at me, sometimes scratch me also. Just want to get her to understand it's not ok.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Diverting her attention, or leaving and ignoring the behaviour are the two best options. Cats don't really effectively respond to positive punishment (i.e doing something they don't like), so ideally you want to redirect the energy to a toy whenever she starts trying to scratch or bite. Also, never use hands as toys.

Sounds like you have a really active young cat that may not have stayed long enough with littermates and mom to learn boundaries. Tiring her out with very active play three times a day before you feed her will help, as will ignoring negative behaviour. Redirecting her energy to other, positive things will make her lean out of undesirable behaviour to get what she wants.

Stimulating her mind may help with keeping her occupied, as well. Clicker training can be useful for positive reinforcement of good behaviour (and learning both useful commands, and tricks for fun), and food puzzles are good for entertainment. Just make sure not to give her too many treats that way, as they aren't a complete diet.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is the most affectionate cat I've ever seen. She loves to be pet and rubbed on, even on her belly. Sometimes she goes crazy and will randomly latch onto me and bite and scratch me. I don't know if she's playing or not but it's painful and would like her to stop. How can I get her to stop? She's usually good at listening, comes when i call her and stuff. When i dont give her enough attention she will paw at me, sometimes scratch me also. Just want to get her to understand it's not ok.
I agree with Maurey Maurey Toys called "kick sticks" should be used in place of hands. However, if you insist on petting her belly, you'll have to pay attention to her warning signs that's she's about to put you in the venus cat trap. Watch for dilated pupils, ears starting to fold back, licking of your hands, or faster licking of your hands. A good way to keep the behavior from happening is to stop it before it even starts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Diverting her attention, or leaving and ignoring the behaviour are the two best options. Cats don't really effectively respond to positive punishment (i.e doing something they don't like), so ideally you want to redirect the energy to a toy whenever she starts trying to scratch or bite. Also, never use hands as toys.

Sounds like you have a really active young cat that may not have stayed long enough with littermates and mom to learn boundaries. Tiring her out with very active play three times a day before you feed her will help, as will ignoring negative behaviour. Redirecting her energy to other, positive things will make her lean out of undesirable behaviour to get what she wants.

Stimulating her mind may help with keeping her occupied, as well. Clicker training can be useful for positive reinforcement of good behaviour (and learning both useful commands, and tricks for fun), and food puzzles are good for entertainment. Just make sure not to give her too many treats that way, as they aren't a complete diet.
Thank you, is there any treats you recommend? I can't find any good ones. She just turned 1 and is very active all the time. I will try the toy thing hopefully it works so I don't have to get any more cat scars. I would also like to train her to do a few things, have any tips or articles on training, if so could you please refer them to me.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, is there any treats you recommend? I can't find any good ones. She just turned 1 and is very active all the time. I will try the toy thing hopefully it works so I don't have to get any more cat scars. I would also like to train her to do a few things, have any tips or articles on training, if so could you please refer them to me.
Treat-wise, it's very dependant on the cat, in terms of what flavours they prefer. In the states, a great (if not very budget-friendly) option are Pure Bites Freeze Dried treats. They have things like chicken, whole minnows, and shrimp. My cat really likes dehydrated lung (she mainly gets beef or pork, but prefers venison), as well as some kitty jerky (unseasoned venison or beef). Another option is lightly boiled chicken breast cut up into small squares. You might have to experiement a little to find something your kitty really likes. Mine is a vacuum, and it's been more of a challenge to find something she *doesn't* get super excited about.

Here are a few resources on clicker training :>