How do i correct a bad behavior of my cat?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old tortie is driving me crazy nowadays. I adopted her months ago when she was sick. At first, i didn't share a room with her, i slept in another room because i was not used to sharing the space with a pet. But as time passes by, i gradually moved back into my room and she was free to roam the house at night - every room door is open. Basically, i have 3 rooms with doors, and it is all occupied. She only goes to my room because it's her place with all her belongings inside. She will always jump onto my bed early morning around 4am to 7am just to wake me up to feed her. It was alright at first because i wake up early too (at 7am) but she is getting from bad to worse as she resorted to biting my feet to get my attention when i didn't wake up. I shook it off at first but the bites got more frequent and harder and it's just very very painful sometimes. She even moved on to my upper body (eg, head/hands) when i did not response to her. She steps on my back when i faced the other way from her. Usually i tend to completely ignore her till her feeding time. She also started to bite my pillows =.= I do leave dry food for her overnight, small amount, but it seems like she won't touch it unless she has no choice as she prefers her wet food more. My family told me to just close the door when i sleep but her toilet was in the same room as me >.< (I used to lock her up in the room and she's used to this room). Help!!! Once, i got so irritated i used a spray bottle and sprayed at her. And she ran off straight away, for about 3 minutes, and she came back again, but this time round she didn't bite, she step on me. I don't think this is a good way to keep spraying at her but if it's something to let her not bite at me, i will do so. Now, i will just sleep with my spray bottle - how ridiculous is this LOL.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At what time are you feeding her at night? To me it seems like she’s genuinely hungry. I’d give her a big meal of wet food (high protein, low carbs, otherwise she’ll be hungry as carbs aren’t filling to cats) at bed time to make sure it keeps her satisfied through the night.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, the spray bottle isn't really a good solution. Nor is it recommended. So hopefully we can help you find another way to stop her waking you.

Maybe something in this TCS article will be helpful: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – Cat Articles

Also, if you can move the litter box to another room, I would suggest picking her up and putting her out of your room when she wakes you. My Ruby girl used to wake me too early when I first adopted her. I quickly got sleep deprived, and eventually resorted to putting her out of my bedroom and closing the door when she'd wake me. I'd also tell her she had to "wait for the radio" to come on. After some time (weeks, I think) one morning she didn't come in until the radio came on, and now she almost never wakes me early.

Now if she's genuinely "starving" you could try feeding her later at night, or get a automatic feeder. If you're interested, here's a link with more info: Best Automatic Feeders For Cats (including 17 Detailed Reviews) – Cat Articles

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An automatic feeder, or massive playtime before bed and last meal. And unfortunately you have to ignore her completely, and I mean completely. It could be attention seeking, cats tend to be up in the wee hours and firmly believe we should be too, they can get lonely and want you up with them lol.