How Do I Change The Bedding In Cats Nest?

autu2999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, my cat had a litter of 5 kittens a few hours ago, and I want to change the blanket as it is damp, and I read that it is dangerous for kittens to be kept in such a condition. I’m not really sure how to handle moving my cat and her kittens from her nest while I change the towels, she is quite protective but I know I need to change it... any advice? Also, will probably be around here quite a while to ask more questions :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Can you set up a clean nest right next to her current one, and maybe with long sleeves and gloves so you don't transfer any of your scent to them, move the tinies over?
...Or even just pick up one side and lift/tilt the old nest so mama sort of moves by default?

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's just going to depend on the individual cat. I think Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestion is a good one. Does momma cat seemed to want you there with her babies? If so, it may not be a big deal to move them, although I wouldn't do it for a prolonged period of time. When my cat had kittens, I was handling them on day 2 and she had 0 problems with it, but again I think that's going to be a case by case thing. Also, just to be clear, I was not handling than for prolonged periods of time in any way shape or form. Good luck! O, and for future reference, when you to make the new bed, you can use layers of towels, so you can just take a layer off and she will have a clean bed With not too much fuss. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A clean nest next to this one is your best bet. Move babies and mama will follow. Then clean up the current nest, and if mom desires, she will move the babies back, or you can if the original box is best. It should be fine! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

autu2999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again, really sorry I ignored everyone’s replies to my last post, I have been really busy, I did manage to change their bedding in the end and I will post a photo once I figure out how to take a good photo without using flash as I don’t want to disturb the mum (its quite a dark corner)
I have another question, I’ve been reading that it’s really beneficial to weigh kittens every day as it’s a really good indicator of how well they’re doing and if there’s a problem, however on other sites it said that you shouldn’t be handling kittens until they’re two weeks old? I have a flat kitchen scale and would have the scale right by the nest, it takes less than a minute to do so it wouldn’t agitate the mum that much, I would also wash+sanitise my hands and maybe wear gloves as well? Should I be doing it or not?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my opinion, as long as Mom tolerates it, weighing is an important step. Kittens are so tiny, weighing them will allow you to notice any changes before your eyes would catch on. Which allows you to help with feeding or seek emdical care quickly.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello again, really sorry I ignored everyone’s replies to my last post, I have been really busy, I did manage to change their bedding in the end and I will post a photo once I figure out how to take a good photo without using flash as I don’t want to disturb the mum (its quite a dark corner)
I have another question, I’ve been reading that it’s really beneficial to weigh kittens every day as it’s a really good indicator of how well they’re doing and if there’s a problem, however on other sites it said that you shouldn’t be handling kittens until they’re two weeks old? I have a flat kitchen scale and would have the scale right by the nest, it takes less than a minute to do so it wouldn’t agitate the mum that much, I would also wash+sanitise my hands and maybe wear gloves as well? Should I be doing it or not?
I feel like there is a lot of differing opinions on this, some do say to wait weeks, others say handle almost right away to start socializing. I agree if mama is ok with it, go ahead and weigh them, it will also get mom used to you interacting with her and her babies. Whenever I handled the kittens, I washed my hands but never wore gloves or anything, I also made sure I never handled them for more than a minute or so. Just my amateur experience, take it for what you will! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's very important to weigh the kittens daily. No need to wear gloves, but do wash your hands.