How Do I Calculate This?

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been looking for a new wet food for my two 11 month old cats, one of whom had a UTI around December. Since then they have been on Royal Canin's UTI food, which I really don't like because of the ingredients/ price/ overall quality. The vet gave me the OK to try a new food, but my budget is very tight at the moment as I just finished graduate school and am looking for a job.

My question is, how the heck do you calculate the dry matter protein, fat, and carbohydrate content? I thought I had it figured out but then I emailed a wet food company and they gave me a very different number.

For example, here's one wet food I was considering:
Protein: 10%
Fat: 7%
Fiber: 1%
Moisture: 78%
Ash: 2.5%
Calcium: 0.18%
Phosphorus: 0.16%
Magnesium: 0.024%
Taurine: 0.05%

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carb 1.086% I think. Calculated by heart. No accuracy promised but should be close :p
Each % divided by 22% would be the % of dry matter I think, except moisture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought too, which would make the protein 45%. But the food's customer service rep told be it was 29% :S

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's a helpful site!

Based on that information and considering my budget (which is basically nonexistent...), which of these two foods would you go for?

Food 1:
Ingredients- Chicken, Chicken Broth, Meat By-Products, Chicken Liver, Poultry By-Products, Natural Flavor, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Copper Sulfate), Guar Gum, Added Color, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex [Source of Vitamin K Activity]), Dl-Methionine, Salt, Taurine.
Protein: 50%
Fat: 22.7%
Fiber: 6.8%
Ash: 13.6%
Taurine: .23%
Carbs: 7.7%

Food 2:
Ingredients- Turkey, Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken, Pork Liver, Rice Flour, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Choline Chloride, Carrageenan, Taurine.
Protein: 45.45%
Fat: 31%
Fiber: 4.55%
Ash: 11.36%
Misc: 1.88%
Carbs: 6.8%

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In this case, I'd go for the first one - primarily because of the Dl-Methionine. That's the same urine acidifier used in the prescription urinary foods. Whilst it'll likely be at a lower level, it should be a little more of a safeguard against his urinary problems returning. I also like that salt is lower down in the ingredients list, and it doesn't contain carrageenan or grains. To me, that combination slightly outweighs the fact that it has added colour.

Both look like decent budget foods though. You could always see which your cat prefers (after all, no food can do any good unless it gets inside the cat ;) ), or even feed both in rotation. I always have several foods in rotation, in case of supply problems or similar, and many others here do the same. :)

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help! I was leaning toward that one, too. I'll be keeping a close eye on both cats and their litterbox trips obviously, but I'm slightly nervous to mix things up.

I think the UTI was due to a series of unfortunate events, though.
1. I switched to a new wet food my cat didn't like as much, so she ate less and therefore was less hydrated.
2. She got spayed, and had to not eat for 24 hours, leading to further dehydration.
3. Spaying was very stressful for her :( I read stress is liked to UTIs.
4. Got home and didn't recognize her sister, thus more stress.
5. UTI symptoms, had to go to emergency vet 3 times and get poked with needles. Even more stress.

So I'm hoping all will go well, it seems unlikely we will have a problem but I'm paranoid. Lol.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help! I was leaning toward that one, too. I'll be keeping a close eye on both cats and their litterbox trips obviously, but I'm slightly nervous to mix things up.

I think the UTI was due to a series of unfortunate events, though.
1. I switched to a new wet food my cat didn't like as much, so she ate less and therefore was less hydrated.
2. She got spayed, and had to not eat for 24 hours, leading to further dehydration.
3. Spaying was very stressful for her :( I read stress is liked to UTIs.
4. Got home and didn't recognize her sister, thus more stress.
5. UTI symptoms, had to go to emergency vet 3 times and get poked with needles. Even more stress.

So I'm hoping all will go well, it seems unlikely we will have a problem but I'm paranoid. Lol.
Poor kitty, I'd be stressed with all of that too! I hope you find an affordable food she likes. You can also add a little water to the canned food to up her water intake.