how do cats self-groom their lower backs?

junocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends. Two months ago I adopted my first cat, who gained a bit of weight while stuck in a kennel for a few months. I've noticed that she isn't able to reach the spot on her lower back, just above her tail, when grooming. This spot was very greasy when she first came home, and even after having had a bath, certainly does not stay as clean as the other parts of her body. My vet told me that she can't reach this spot because she's overweight. I've also heard many people say that cats can groom all parts of their bodies.

My question is... how on earth to healthy weight cats reach this spot? I spend a lot of time with cats, but I haven't seen them groom their lower backs. I've also taken to watching videos of cats self-grooming in hopes of seeing some incredible body contortions to reach this spot, but nothing! Is it just a myth? 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hmm. I'm going to have to pay more attention to my cats grooming themselves. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat sits in the classic cat sitting position like so:

and then twists his head down and around to his lower back, splaying his front paws out a little in the process. Sorry I don't have a pic of that! :D

I think I only noticed cause he is always near me grooming, lol. Thank goodness for me he never gets matted cause he has longish dense fluffy hair and won't let me brush him at all. :'(

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and then twists his head down and around to his lower back, splaying his front paws out a little in the process. Sorry I don't have a pic of that!

I think I only noticed cause he is always near me grooming, lol. Thank goodness for me he never gets matted cause he has longish dense fluffy hair and won't let me brush him at all. :'(
That is how Noodles does it.  I can't picture Mooch grooming herself there.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will never cease to be amazed by cats' flexibility. Thanks, fluffybeard, I think I have a better visual now!

My girl is pretty stout-- she has a short tail, short legs, and a short neck, so I'll be curious to see if she's able to twist her neck back there when she returns to a healthy weight!