How difficult to place a cat for adoption?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lastly, urinary issues are one of the #1 causes of rehoming. They often don't make it back out of the shelter.

I'd consider asking the vet for information for a behaviorist first.
We spoke about it. There's one in our area who will provide a virtual assessment for $380 but I'm unsure if they're going to be able to tell me anything I don't already know and prescribe irrational solutions (i.e. have our cats segregated to separate floors) simply because the that's all they have to offer.
Hi - I'm copying this from up thread. Just to check, have you had your water tested? Some cats are more sensitive to water issues.

Is he getting filtered water (not just bottled, distilled or RO water, but filtered tap water, which has the ugly contaminants removed but still retains the minerals)?

How often do you clean the water bowls as well as the food dishes, and supply fresh water?

Has your vet talked about Purina Hydra Care which was specifically formulated for cats with FLUTD?

Have you tried the tips in this article?
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

Have you tried any of the wonderful and wide varieties of Cat Music to address the possible stress aspect of this, along with possibly using other calming products?

Rehoming is doable for a healthy cat, but you really need to be on your toes to ensure the new home is safe, and be rather demanding with high standards. Re-homing a cat whose health is compromised is not necessarily an option. I agree with Susanm9006, I personally would look for a different vet first.

You are being redirected... this is a link for finding cat friendly, and cat only veterinarians

"Kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens - TheCatSite
Double filtered via continuous water fountain. Water won't cause a bacterial UTI anyways. Cleaned weekly. Food bowls cleaned daily.

Half his diet is wet food and he occasionally drinks out of the bathtub faucet when we're getting ready for bed.

Anyways, I'm at the vet now. Poor guy knows when he's going to the vet and urinated all over me as I went to place him in the carrier. Such is life.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Water won't cause a bacterial UTI anyways.
If stress is a factor, I would think the quality of the water is as well especially since he drinks straight from the tap now and then.

In any case, be sure and ask about the Purina Hydra Care.

irrational solutions (i.e. have our cats segregated to separate floors) simply because the that's all they have to offer.
Hopefully you don't consider Cat Music an irrational suggestion.

Poor guy knows when he's going to the vet and urinated all
Speaking of stress, ask the vet about gabapentin to help with his travel and vet visit stress.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
J jclark I'd try some litter solutions first. Though they may suggest an attempt at reintroducing them together, I think most behaviourists only suggest extreme things like permanent separation in extreme cases.

Kitten Lady on YouTube and her partner actually had two cats that several behaviourists had to suggest this for. But even she mentioned in her video that it was the last resort.

You're very far from last resort 😉

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
J jclark I'd try some litter solutions first. Though they may suggest an attempt at reintroducing them together, I think most behaviourists only suggest extreme things like permanent separation in extreme cases.

Kitten Lady on YouTube and her partner actually had two cats that several behaviourists had to suggest this for. But even she mentioned in her video that it was the last resort.

You're very far from last resort 😉

Looking forward to hearing from you!
We're going to try kitty prozac (not actually prozac) for a couple of months Based on previous X-rays, Ultrasounds, lab reports (blood/urine) he's not a cat who develops UTI from crystals. FIC is a really PITA.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're going to try kitty prozac (not actually prozac) for a couple of months Based on previous X-rays, Ultrasounds, lab reports (blood/urine) he's not a cat who develops UTI from crystals. FIC is a really PITA.
It really is. ❣

Let us know if you try HydraCare or a new litter. Hydra Care™ Feline Hydration Supplement | Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Supplements

Theres also a nice thread on different litters here if you want to look at what will work in your home: Litter reviews I'd try one in a spare litter.

as per pee pads I just got puppy ones from the dollar store. They were a lifesaver in initial days and near his end of life when he'd miss the box.