How did your cat(s) get their name(s)?

navyydragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had a long string of cats in my life. The first two were strays who wandered into our garage when I was about 5. Brother and sister, they found us from a sheep farm nearby. The male (who later died of feline leukemia) we named Smokey since he was grey, and the female we named Scruffy, due to her long fur. Remember, my sister and I were young, so we weren't very sophisticated in our naming at the time!

One night when I was in eighth grade, while my dad and I were out for a walk, we came across a fluffy orange cat. She followed us home and became part of the family. This was the late nineties and I was (as most young girls) obsessed with the Backstreet Boys, so I named her Backstreet.

My sister got a kitten who she named Kivrin after a favorite sci-fi book character, my mom had a kitten named Zoe Constanza after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's wife, and I named my baby, Thora, after the greek God Thor, since she is grey. Our new kitten, Eli's full name is Eli Whitney, the inventor of the cotton gin... named by by partner because he likes random Americana

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats have names that DBF and I chose.
Blondie was named by DBF because she is blonde. She also answers to Mama Kitty or Queen B.

Her son is names Hercules because he's HUGE and DBF likes a song where the cats name was Hercules. He thought it'd be cool. Hercules also answers to Baby Boy, Hurk or Hurky.

Al got her name from her father who she looks just like. We thought she was a boy at first and since we weren't even allowed to look at her, we had no way of knowing her sex. It wasn't until we trapped her and her mama and brother to have them fixed (she was 5 mos. old) that we found out that he was a SHE. She also answers to Allykins, Al (only when she's in trouble for being mean) or The Predator.

Sunny got his name because when we found him he was a tiny orange puff ball. His long hair was very light at the roots and bright orange at the tips. He reminded me of the sunshine so I named him Sunny. Sunny answers to Sunshine or Shiney Kitty. He's a great cat and is the only indoor cat we have.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zorro- Named for many different reasons. First, because I have always loved the Zorro movies, I think they are awesome! Second, he is half siamese and has the blue points, meaning a dark mask across his eyes. As he grew up the mask got bigger, but it still is a mask over his face, making him look pretty heroic. Third, as a kitten he would look so cute as he went on a high place (to him, though it was usually just the seat of the couch
) and would puff up his chest all proudly like a little hero. Fourth, he was always a more rough-and-tumble kind of cat, basically killing all his toys
we like to joke he's always taking out the badguys!

Also, he got the middle name Zeus because he thinks he is king of even the gods!

Sasha got named by my mom, (I was drawing a blank) it sounded like a more pretty and feminine name, suiting her just perfectly.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mary was named after my grandmother who I loved more than anything. When she passed away I was sad for a very long time. When I got Mary I just knew it was right for her. My grandmother was a beautiful pure force of nature just like my Mary.
Seldon from a Sci-fi book.
Cleo is also called Clee Clee sometimes. My daughter named him.
Saffron because she has yellow eyes and when I was taking her to the vet I kept thinking about that song from the 60s. 'I'm just mad about Saffron, she's just mad about me....' The main chorus is 'they call me Mellow Yellow'. She is very mellow and easygoing.
Sachi-Because it means so many different things in different languages.
Lucia-Because I felt like the happenings of my strays and ferals in my yard was like an Italian opera. My ex is from Italy and my daughter can speak Italian so we decided the theme for our rescues will be Italian.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up my cat, The Bean, was originally named Smokey. My aunt recommended the name because she was gray. I was a pretty small kid when we first got The Bean and I always talked about how the pads on her feet looked like beans...yeah, I was a weird kid.
But, it wasn't long before we started calling her Bean, which later morphed into The Bean shortly after when we realized that she was going to rule the house indisputably.

When my husband and I were in the process of adopting our Ringo, they originally told us that she was a boy, so we had decided on the name Ringo right off as we're both Beatles fans and she just kind of looks like a Ringo. After our second visit to the shelter they told us that, in fact, she is a girl. The name the shelter had given her was "Gertie" and we didn't think that she was much of a Gertie at all, so Ringo stuck. We also heavily use the nickname Ringus. No idea where that came from!

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Snowball and Poppet is what happens when you give an 8 and 10 yr old free rein to name you new kittens.

I can clearly remember sitting in the back of the car with the cat box on the seat going through names that began with snow - Snow White, Snow Flake, Snowman, Snow drift :p I think it was my Mum who said Snowball to shut me up. Poppet was named because my sis thought she looked really sweet, and my Mum has a thing for the name Poppy (which Pops is normally called). Unfortunatly, our surname starts with P so niether of us could be called Poppy.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quill was named mainly for his beautiful tail because it looks like a floofy feather, not because he's prickly
. He was originally named Chopper which just didn't suit him.

thechangingman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Loki is the Norse god of mischief! Appropriate as he was beating up cats twice his size when we went to pick him up!

Our second Fenrir ( Fenny ) was basically daddied by Loki since his arrival so it follows on as Fenrir was Loki's son in mythology!

Yuki is our latest addition and hes a pure white - Yuki is Japanese for "snow"

bookish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dibbs - my little brother called 'dibbs' on naming her ... and then it stuck.

Tavi - He's so little and brave, and disadvantaged, being a stray. One of my favorite book characters is Tavi from The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. He's a small boy with a big heart and the only person in the world who can't do magic.

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I refuse to name my animals human names, they just dont sound right. I also try to go for very odd names that you don't hear very often. Working as a vet tech I think I have seen all the normals and of course I have to be different.

Kricket got her name from the box that she use to go to work with me in. I buy crickets by the 1000's cause I have reptiles and it was the only box I could find at the time. It fit and I just changed it to a "K"

Worm was named by my sister (i always ask her for help naming animals). We were trying to stay on the reptile food names (yes weird I know). It just so happens that my sister noticed I use to keep his dry food that was marinating in water to make it soft in a Superworm container. Worm stuck.

Once again trying to stay on the reptile food names was tough. Nothing really fit the little grey boy. Possum just kinda stuck, he was going to be Gus cause he looked like the lil mouse from Cinderella but that goes against my human name rule and it just didnt fit with the rest of the animal names.

Sloth got his name from my hubbys friend who was showing us houses. I said something about Worm and he thought I was crazy for naming my cat Worm. So as a joke about my Wormies name he called him Sloth (another weird name) and I told him and my hubby that the next cat that found me would be named Sloth. Weird that 2 months later little Sloth found me. (the dog found him)

That's my crew Kricket, Worm, Possum, & Sloth my little boogers that I love dearly.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Matilda - I had this name on a list of possible names for her because it's the name of my favorite book from when I was a kid (Matilda by Roald Dahl). My SO was joking around about names and he said Matilda. It just stuck. Plus, we like that we can use the nickname Mattie, since her hair is so long. Mattie/Matilda is also the name of another great character from another favorite book of mine, The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsovler.

Chloe - I wish we had picked this name after something, but she really just has this name because we liked it for her. It fits her spunky little personality.

My SO hates human names for pets too, but he's ok with human names that he doesn't think are used anymore. If only he knew how popular 'Chloe' is at the moment for baby girls...

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sassy was named for my favorite character in the Clive Barker novel Cabal..

Linus hid uder a blanket in his carrier for the first few day I had him so what else would I call him but Linus after the peanuts character.

Pixie got her name because Pixie's are impish creatures that are always up to something....believe me when I say the name fits..