How did your cat recover from her spaying operation?

cody white

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Welcome to TCS! 
Is Eevee a blue-eyed Calico? That's real special! I'm so glad you had her and the  feral spayed. I hope you'll start an introduction thread in the New Cats on the Block Forum so more members can see her and get to know you and her!
PS - I forgot to mention that Eevee's eyes they are special because depending on the lighting the eye color fluctuates between 'whitish to ocean blue' .. sorta reminds me of mood rings that would change depending on your bodies temp. and at times..I get lost in her eyes though it is soothing - I love her ^__^

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amber And Trinity I adopted from a rescue so they both had been spayed already.Amber had just been spayed a few days before but her incision was just about healed when I got her. I do remember her foster mother advising me to keep her calm due to the recent surgery. Twilight was given to me by someone who found her. She was only 4 w/o. I don't remember exactly how old she was when I had her spayed but as soon as the vet at the low cost Spay and Neater clinic said she was old enough she was spayed.

The worst part was how she behaved after the the surgery. The vet tech warned me that she was still recovering from the anesthesia. She said it is common for cats to be aggressive while recovering from the anesthesia. She advised me not to let her out of the carrier for a while. She told me to put the carrier in the bathroom, open the carrier, close the bathroom door and have her sleep in the bathroom for the night. I did keep her in her cage for a while because she was angry but she didn't have to sleep in the bathroom.

The vet tech also told me not to let her jump or climb. I thought so how do I keep a kitten from jumping and climbing? Especially since Twilight loved to play and go nuts with Amber who was only a few months older but still a kitten. Twilights incision healed fast. From the first day it was a nice clean incision.  

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
The only female in the house is Miss Purdy. She was feral so TNR vet came out to trap her at about 5 months. He trapped her and two boys I paid to get them all fixed. He brought all 3 back in 10 days, so she could heal and have stiches removed. The were then released to my backyard where she lived for 18 months with the 2 boys. She then adopted me and moved in.

odessa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Odessa was spayed yesterday. I thought by today she would have 're covered a little. But by this morning she wasn't eating, drinking nor has she used the bathroom. I took her be k to the vet ( a different Dr. ) who said she has a fever and has developed an infection. They gave her antibiotics and pain meds. They also gave her fluids and said if she deteriorates overnight to bring her back.
I asked him she was going to be ok and he wouldn't say. Odessa like my daughter, I love her so much it breaks my heart to see her like this. She was so energetic and curious , like a two year old into everything. Now she just lays there.
Has anyone had complications like this and your cat made a.full recovery...please let me know...

macysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Macy did great for the first 6 days now today is her 6th day and I hadn't seen her out and about since this morning and she was fine when I saw her this morning but this evening I saw her and she was 3x her normal size she was puffy and her fur feels crunchy around her head and shoulders. I called my boyfriend in to look at her and the first thing he said was that isn't our cat so I was completely terrified and rushed her back to the vets office who did the surgery 6 days ago. They took X-rays and said they didn't see any punctures but there is a lot of air under her skin she's all blown up like a ballon the vet seeing her had never seen this before and I can't find anyone who's ever had this happen to their fur baby before. So I know this is an old post but I'm hoping to get some idea of how this turned out for others. Thanks for any feedback

marble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I have just come home from vets after having my six month old kitten spayed. I was told she would be inactive but she is trying to run around everywhere like nothing happened.

I had real difficult getting those horrible plastic collars on and gave up because it seemed to be causing more stress. I've now put her in a plain newborn baby gro and she is really chilled out. She can eat and drink comfortably although I am on toilet duty incase she needs to be unbuttoned. If you struggle with those nasty collars give the baby vests a go.

She has me worried over being so active so soon but she is a kitten and that's what they do.
Although vets suggest going for post-op check after two days I always go back within 24 hours for peace of mind.

Vets are paid well enough.

Marble's mum

phenomshel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had my kitten, Trixie, spayed 11 days ago.   She did fine for the first 2  1/2 days, then she broke out of the puppy playpen I had for her and started going for her incision.  At that point, I shut her in our bedroom with food, water, and litter box, with a tube sock on her tummy.   No way was she having anything to do with a cone, she popped the plastic clips off like they were nothing.  2 days later, she managed to get the tube sock off and go for the incision again.  Took her back to the vet, where they boarded her for 5 days.  Brought her home this morning.   Vet says still not to let her at the incision, so the tube sock is still on, but I basically have let her loose in the house.  She is running, jumping, and climbing like there is no tomorrow, basically doing everything except turning herself inside-out.   At 11 days post-op,  I'm not really worried about her activity level, even though she is acting like a wild-child,  and I have checked her incision and it looks dry and scabbed over, just as it did when I saw it at the vet's.  What I *am*concerned with is her getting that sock off and going for that incision with her mouth again.

There has got to be a better solution than a plastic cone.  Maybe the soft ones work better, I didn't have access to one to try it.  The tube sock works better, IF you can keep it on an active kitten.  When we'd leave her alone, she'd worm  her way out of it. 

While I understand that it is in the cat's best interest to be spayed, and for it to be done young, before their first heat,  I am a bit disgruntled at being "misled"  by the post-op paperwork, which said "keep her quiet, no licking for 5 days."  If they meant 21 days (which is what it will be in ten more days, which is when the vet said she should be fine to lick with impunity), then they should tell you 21 days.  If I had known it was going to be such a long recovery, I would have planned much differently. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a 'collar' on a spayed cat, or ever tried to stop what they wanted to do. I have had at least 15 cats spayed and all of them have come through fine. The last little feral I had done was up and acting normal in 12 hours. If it is dry and scabbed over she may be itching and wants to releave it.  I have never heard of 21 days, that seems excessive to me, can any one step in with more expert advise?

jelst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl had a midline spay and and I used a newborn baby vest to protect her - s9 much nicer than the cone [emoji]9786[/emoji]
Had my kitten, Trixie, spayed 11 days ago.   She did fine for the first 2  1/2 days, then she broke out of the puppy playpen I had for her and started going for her incision.  At that point, I shut her in our bedroom with food, water, and litter box, with a tube sock on her tummy.   No way was she having anything to do with a cone, she popped the plastic clips off like they were nothing.  2 days later, she managed to get the tube sock off and go for the incision again.  Took her back to the vet, where they boarded her for 5 days.  Brought her home this morning.   Vet says still not to let her at the incision, so the tube sock is still on, but I basically have let her loose in the house.  She is running, jumping, and climbing like there is no tomorrow, basically doing everything except turning herself inside-out.   At 11 days post-op,  I'm not really worried about her activity level, even though she is acting like a wild-child,  and I have checked her incision and it looks dry and scabbed over, just as it did when I saw it at the vet's.  What I *am*concerned with is her getting that sock off and going for that incision with her mouth again.

There has got to be a better solution than a plastic cone.  Maybe the soft ones work better, I didn't have access to one to try it.  The tube sock works better, IF you can keep it on an active kitten.  When we'd leave her alone, she'd worm  her way out of it. 

While I understand that it is in the cat's best interest to be spayed, and for it to be done young, before their first heat,  I am a bit disgruntled at being "misled"  by the post-op paperwork, which said "keep her quiet, no licking for 5 days."  If they meant 21 days (which is what it will be in ten more days, which is when the vet said she should be fine to lick with impunity), then they should tell you 21 days.  If I had known it was going to be such a long recovery, I would have planned much differently. 

jelst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A baby nest need to go on upside down leaving the 'neck' on vest as a hole for toilet duties. See pic [emoji]9786[/emoji]
Hi

I have just come home from vets after having my six month old kitten spayed. I was told she would be inactive but she is trying to run around everywhere like nothing happened.

I had real difficult getting those horrible plastic collars on and gave up because it seemed to be causing more stress. I've now put her in a plain newborn baby gro and she is really chilled out. She can eat and drink comfortably although I am on toilet duty incase she needs to be unbuttoned. If you struggle with those nasty collars give the baby vests a go.

She has me worried over being so active so soon but she is a kitten and that's what they do.
Although vets suggest going for post-op check after two days I always go back within 24 hours for peace of mind.

Vets are paid well enough.

Marble's mum

destoneslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long did it take the fur to grow back?  The only cat I had whose abdomen was shaved for ultrasound took about 2--3 years to grow back because he was on steroids for IBD.

hekie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
jelst, a million thanks for your posts and the pic of the re-purposed babygro! My six month old kitten was spayed a week ago and came home in the cone. She was miserable and I could hear her crashing around anytime I wasn't in the room. I nabbed some premie baby suits and cut them as shown in the pic and she's been in them for 3 days now with another 7 or so to go, and it is SO much better. She hasn't gone near the wound anyway, but couldn't get to it if she tried. She can clean herself, cover her waste when she toilets and I think the suit is slightly hampering her back legs (not in an uncomfortable way) so it's actually also stopped the mad dashing behaviour which she needs to avoid, so I haven't had to put in any extra work post-collar to stop her running around. Simple but brilliant idea.

I did cut the head hole in the wrong side on time #2 which was both difficult to get over her head and led to a minor toileting difficulty. Très stupide, this human at times ;-)

mitchsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had Mitch spayed 3 days ago. (Her name is Mitch because when I first got her and took her to the vet they said she was a he and I didn't want to change it) Anyway the first time I went to take her she had a uti and a fever so we could not do the procedure.
We are now in the healing process and the first night I thought I was going to cry. She hated the cone and freaked out. Me being worried she wouldn't be able to eat or drink took the advice of a friend and cut it down, but I cut it too short. So I put Mitch in the car and went to persmart. I bought a new cone which was far too big seeing as though she's only 6 months and an inflatable tube which I later would discover still gave her access to the incision. So freaking out I went to the emergency clinic where they gave me a soft and hard e-collar. I had happy about the soft option but as soon as we got home she took it off. So then I double teamed it with the soft and hard collar. She didn't sleep basically at all that night and I had to go to work the next day but I did notice she has discovered how to get food and water with the cone.
While at work my mom came to check on her and said she was still attempting to get out of the collar. The moment I walked in she had just worked the collar off so I put her in the car and we went to Walmart to get a baby onesie. She seemed happier with that and it made me feel better because it did cover the incision and I thought she wouldn't try to get out of it.

Fast forward to 10 minutes later I had walked into a room and discovered it on the floor and her nowhere to be found. I was at my wits end. So I put the collar back on her and ordered a SUITICAL as a last resort for same day dilvery on amazon. It came a few hours later and I put it on her before leaving out to go to a dinner party.

When I came home she was still in it!! No issues with eating or using the litter box and she doesn't even attempt to lick the incision at all. I'm so grateful for this product and has helped both of us feel more comfortable and get more rest!

sulveks uncle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sulveks spaying was typical I suppose. They kept her for 36 hours (My sister was beside herself the whole time) but she had to undergo a tail amputation as well (No feeling, no control, vet recommended it) so now shes got a little stub tail. The only issue we had with the spaying recovery was that Sulvek wanted to pull and lick at the stitches. My sister did her best to keep her from doing so, but we reverted to different tactics after the vet mentioned that if she pulled them out now (1-2 days after getting home) she wouldn't be healed enough to... well. Keep her insides, inside.

So my sister thought up an idea to keep her from at least being able to pull at the stitches themselves. She went out and bought some baby onesies that looked about the right sizes (getting them a little bigger just to be safe) and cutting a hole in the snap flap for bathroom uses. Though Sulvek did sort of pull at them, but it was less often and only got fabric. She did do a lot of licking the first few nights of the onsies but eventually stopped that as well. Admittedly Sulvek was not fond of them to start, waddling around and flopping over, but in about a day she was walking normally. We used some paper clips to latch the top of the baby onesie to her collar. Kept her from walking out of it.

The hair on her stomach took about 3 months to grow back in properly. She also has some loose tummy skin that the vet assistant called a 'fat pack'.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Thirteen it was a nonevent.  She came home a little loopy but within hours was tearing through my house playing with Atticus.  I was PETRIFIED she was going to hurt herself and tried to keep her on the bed but to no avail.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missy was spayed when she was about 6 1/2 months (almost a year ago) I took her to the vet around 9am (with an empty stomach) and I brought her back home around 2pm. She seemed traumatised by the operation (refused to eat and drink for almost 2 days and was much more suspicious and cautious than before the operation). She recoverd well and went back to normal, but... she still hates the vet.

After the operation she did'nt stop to show me her belly, to remind me of what she had gone trough...