How did you name your Fids? (Fids=Fur Kids)

jeannecarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was a child our family cat (my mother's cat, actually, whom she had named Dingtoes--she was polydactyl) had a litter of which I promptly named the four survivors Ik, Bik, Fik, and Kitchy Koo (don't ask why; how does a 7-year-old come up with names anyway??). The three brothers were all tuxedos with different facial markings, but the one girl was mostly white, and I latched onto her right away. The plan was to give away the brothers, but eventually only one was adopted, and my mother (wise woman) promptly changed Bik and Fik to Big Boy and Funny Face, which suited them perfectly. Unfortunately, mom and brothers succumbed to the hazards of being indoor-outdoor cats, but Kitchy lived to be 15 and saw me all through my school and college years. She missed me when I went off to college, even though she gave me more than my share of scars in childhood when I insisted on picking her up when she didn't want it. She was also polydactyl, BTW.

In my twenties at my first apartment I got Mici, a white longhair, from the family downstairs who had gotten her from the husband's parents. She came with the name Butterball, which I just couldn't see using or even nicknaming. But my boyfriend at the time was a Croat and he started calling her Mici, pronounced Mee-tzee and means cat or kitty, and it stuck. I had her for 13 years (I figure she was about 16 at the end) and what finally got her was ear cancer.

Our current boys are Oreo and Macaroon. Oreo came with his name from the family he was born into, because he's black & white bicolor, and on his black back there's a faint white O. The children named him. We could have changed it but we couldn't think of anything better.

Seven plus years later we got an orange tabby-with-white kitten from a family that was fostering a mother and her litter. They had given all the kittens names just because, and this one was called Jack; but that wouldn't do because we have a niece named Jackie. So I started thinking what would go well with his color, and all the names of sweet things of that color sounded too feminine to me. Then one day I blurted out, "You look just like a toasted coconut macaroon!" And that was it. Of course we call him Mackie almost all the time. It even rhymes with his original name!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aw! 
They sound sweet! Good luck though--from what I can tell the claws on the girls get really sharp at six months.
She has to have her claws clipped once or twice each week anyhow. She has two underdeveloped toes that just have one diget and the claw. This makes it so these claws don't retract and get snagged if they aren't clipped.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She has to have her claws clipped once or twice each week anyhow. She has two underdeveloped toes that just have one diget and the claw. This makes it so these claws don't retract and get snagged if they aren't clipped.
Poor baby! 
 At least she has pet parents that understand and care for her properly!

mrsjcross87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The day I met my little baby she had the prettiest silvery-blue eyes that reminded me of the moon on a clear, serene night.  I instantly knew she had to be a Luna, the name just fit her completely.  She was six weeks when I got her, now she's five months old and her eyes have changed to a beautiful yellowish-copper color.  Now they remind me of the full moon, bright and full of life, so  her name still applies
At seven weeks

Now

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dog bailey was Brittany at the Humane Society. DD changed it to Bailey after a friend of hers. This was 11 years ago. Bailey is 13 now. She does what I tell her to do- 60% of the time she listens all of the time. She's as stubborn as the devil's favorite mule. 

Lilith was named by the Humane Society. We liked it so we kept it. We usually call her Lily Belle or Little Belle. She does answer to her name and will come when called-  if she feels like it. 

Sophie was Midge at the Humane Society. DD and I debated names for a while but agreed on Sophie. DD jokingly called her Sophiesaurus a few times and it stuck. That got shortened to Saurus which is what we call her a lot- that and Kitten. At 6 pounds, she's the smallest of my cats and she's also the youngest. She knows her name and will respond by looking at me when I call her but does not come. 

Henry was Chico at the shelter. DD and I named him Henry after a stuffed dog that I have had since I was 8 years old. A new friend named after an old friend. 
 We call him Brother most of the time though. He does not respond to his name yet. 

Last edited:

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Opal is beautiful!

And I love all the creativity with the different cat names.  I love hearing what other people name their pets.

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver came with the name Oliver from his previous owner so we kept it.. It quickly turned to Ollie and now we call him Wally more than anything and Oliver is his name at the vet and when he's in trouble. 

Sansa was a street cat we found, nobody claimed and we last minute decided to keep. Really into Game of Thrones and we drew her name from a bag of all the female GoT characters. 

Acacia the bunny was a name I pulled from a baby name book. She is gorgeous and I loved the name. 

I name my tropical fish by visual characteristics except for bettas. I name bettas outrageous wacky names like Fix-the-Fern-Back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sapphire75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! I forgot all about middle names...lol

Reese's is Jackson

Reese Jackson when he is in trouble.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mo(w)gli already had his name when we adopted him from the shelter at nine months. I wanted to change it, but he responded to it, and my husband thought it suited him, so the name stuck. The name is spelled without the "w" in German.

Mogli is one of a long line of black kittens/cats from that shelter bearing that name.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two boys named Kricket & Keeker.

Kricket got his name because the day I got him (at 7 weeks old), I was sitting out on the deck with him in the evening and noticed he was vigorously playing with 'something'. When I took a closer look, I discovered it was a big black kricket! He batted it around, pounced on it, carried it around in his mouth, and chased it for almost 1/2 an hour before it fell off the deck into the grass and he moved on to another interest! The name just seemed to fit.

Keeker is actually Keeker IV. My Mom was an avid cat lover and she had a black Persian years before I was born. At the time, my brother was just a small toddler and he couldn't say the word kitty. It came out as Kee-Ker. So, the name stuck!

Unfortunately, Keeker passed away just before I was born. When I was still an infant Mom purchased another black Persian and he became Keeker II. He has also gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Years later, my oldest sister got a black shorthair domestic and immediately named him Keeker III. She lost him to cancer a year and a half ago. 

Needless to say, when I first looked into my little black kitties eyes for the first time (just a week after my sister lost her cat), I smiled and said, "Welcome home, Keeker"! He is now Keeker IV.