How did he know today was the day

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On Monday I called the vet to make an appt for my 5yr old male's annual check up..it was for 2:00 pm today..so after I made the appt I brought his car carrier in and put it in a corner of the lvingroom..this being because he absolutely hates going to the vet and I just wanted him to get used to it again...for the rest of the week I showered around the time I did today as I either had to work or run errands..before I leave for work I would give him and his younger brother a few snacks and then leave...

So today, like I said I showered around the same time and got dressed..I went downstairs and he's not there..I shook the snack container, which always brings him running but, nothing..so I go back up the stairs and as I am getting to the top I can see him on my bed crouching down with his ears flattened..so now Im thinking I am going to have a problem..again I start verbally coaxing to come down for a snack but he isnt budging..so I know Im going to have to grab him..as I approach he jumps off the bed...as I get closer I can see he's ready to go under the bed..so I call to him and hold out my hand with my fingers together like Im holding something..well, this gave me the opportunity to grab him..there was no fight and he went into the carrier pretty easily...

I get him to the vet and into an exam room and now he wont come out of the carrier..usually the tech just lifts it up and he slides out but he even fought that..I actually had to take the 8 screws out that connect the top half to the bottom half just so he could be examined..

How in the world did he know today was the day..he was fine on Tues, Weds and Thurs with my routine..somehow he sensed something was up..

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He-knew,because-you-told-him.

Cats-are-"very"-purr-septive-of-our-moods,body-language,and-most-importantly,the-household-routine.

You-brought-the-carrier-out.That-tells-him,something-not-good,is-going-to-happen.Carrier-means-trip-to-the-vet.That-is-the-only-time,you-bring-the-carrier-out,and-the-only-place-he-goes?

Show-kittens-are-taught-from-8-weeks-old,to-load-and-go-for-a-ride.It's-a-training-process,it-doesn't-happen-overnight.They-walk-righ-in-their-carrier-and-ride-6,7,8-hrs,one-way-to-a-show,mine-sleep-the-whole-way.

The-kittens-first-show-hotel,they-were-only-7-months-old.Had-not-been-there-5-min,had-just-let-them-out-of-their-carrier.The-fire-alarm-went-off.They-ran-under-the-bed.

Moment-of-panic.How-the-heck-am-I-going-to-get-them-from-under-the-bed?

Then-I-remembered,they-are-taught-to-load.I-opened-the-carrier-door,in-they-ran.It-saved-their-lifes.

Be-very-glad-to-tell-you-how-to-teach-him-to-load.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to leave the carrier out all the time, usually cats will sleep in them

You may need to feed him or use treats to make him more comfortable at first, but it's very important they're used to their carry box.

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I leave the house, I move my cat's litterbox from the bathroom into the bedroom and close the door so she stays in the bedroom. She has a whole room, food, water, litterbox, the bed where she normally lounges, and an open window. She's perfectly happy in there all day if the door is open. 

A couple of months ago, she started disappearing about ten minutes before I was ready to go anywhere. I KNOW moving the litterbox is a HUGE cue, that's the only time I do that. But, I normally did that AFTER I had her in the bedroom and at the last minute. That wasn't the cue. I've paid attention over the past couple of months, varied my routine all kinds of ways, and it doesn't matter. She STILL knows when I am leaving. EVERY TIME. Doesn't matter if I wear my around-the-house clothes, shower, don't shower, or what. I can be going to an important event, or just running down to the feed store, and she still knows. I don't check my keys, move my purse, or do anything else as a matter of routine. I can't figure out anything I could be doing, but she still knows. 

I think cats are psychic. ;)

LOL ... they must surely pick up on TINY cues, is all I can think. As far as the carrier, the other posters are right. I keep my carriers in their rooms, always open and accessible, and they often retreat into them or sleep in them. My cats STILL don't like to be taken to the vet in them, and I myself need to do more training in teaching them to load. So no advice, just observations. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember years ago seeing a pet psychic on Animal Planet. (Don't remember her name, but was that older British woman). She said animals communicate through pictures in their minds.

(makes sense, sense thy can't talk).  So maybe because you are "thinking" about where you are going, he is picking up on those visions in your mind.

I remember after learning this, I decided to put it to the test, just for fun!  It was before I had Angel, so it was with my sisters lab. I was over at their house. I was sitting in my nephew's room talking to my sister as she was putting away laundry. The Lab was out in the living room, no one had called her, said her name etc..   I pictured her bringing me one of her toys, "I kid you not, not five minutes later,

she comes trotting in the room with one of her toys in her mouth!"  My sister & I were amazed!!  It was pretty cool! 

Not sure if it would work on cat's, as they tend to have a "stubborn" mind of their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, I would like to know how...

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The-key-is-to-teach-them,carriers-is-goody-places.Normally-we-start-teaching-kittens-by-feeding-them-in-their-carrier,they-have-no-fear-of-carriers.

But-yours-does-so-we-must-undo-that-first.Please-remember,this-is-a-training-process,it-takes-time-and-patience,and-does-not-happen-overnight.

First-you-are-going-to-bring-the-carrier-out,set-it-in-a-different-place,like-where-you-would-normally-feed-him-area.Mine-are-in-the-kitchen,and-they-set-out-all-the-time.Since-his-normal-time-frame-of,something-baddy-gonna-happen-to-me,in-a-week,you-are-going-to-set-it-out-for-2-weeks.Just-let-it-set-there-and-go-about-your-normal-routine.

After-one-week,he-sees,nothing-baddy-happened-to-him,that-is-a-positive.

After-2-weeks,start-putting-treaties-scattered-around-the-carrier,some-close,some-not-so-close.Do-this-for-a-week,even-two,until-he-feels-relaxed-around-the-carrier.We-have-to-undo-his-fear-first,before-we-can-proceed,do-the-treaties-every-day,around-the-same-time-helps.Say"treaties"then-put-them-down.

Now-open-the-carrier-door,prop-it-open,so-it-won't-shut-by-accident.

Start-feeding-him,near-the-carrier,each-day-move-the-bowl,a-little-closer.If-he-accepts-this,put-the-bowl,just-inside-the-carrier.About-a-week-of-this,just-inside-the-carrier,and-if-he-acts-relaxed-about-it,no-fear,every-day-move-it-a-little-farther-inside-the-carrier,as-he-will-accept-it.

When-he-will-calmly-walk-in-the-carrier,and-eat,then-shut-the-door,but-let-him-out-as-soon-as-he-has-finished,pet-him,praise-him.

Every-few-days,increase-the-time-he-stays-in-there-after-eating,by-a-minute.

He-soon-learns,carriers-is-goody-places,foodies-is-in-there-and-he-gets-to-come-out,when-he-is-done,and-best-of-all,nothing-baddy-happened-to-him.

When-you-are-up-to-30-min-of-him-staying-in-there-after-he-eats,and-he-is-calm-about-it,and-not-stressed,then-you-move-to-go-for-a-ride-training.

Before-you-do-this,he-should-calmly-walk-in-the-carrier,when-you-open-the-door,put-a-treatie-in-there.

His-carrier-should-be-large,enough-room-for-him-to-stand-up-and-turn-around,and-lay-down,not-a-little-one,like-he-is-riding-in-a-VW,instead-of-a-Cadillac.

Comfort-is-huge.Put-down-clean-soft-towels,and-some-of-his-toys.Mine-travel-with-their-toys-and-soft-towels,and-their-toys-go-in-their-bench-cage.Its-a-familiar-from-home.

Start-with-short-rides,like-10-min.Slowly-over-time,increase-the-ride-time.He-learns,nothing-baddy-happened-to-him.

I-had-my-kittens-up-to-1-hr-ride-time,when-they-went-to-their-first-show.It-was-5-hrs-one-way,they-slept-the-whole-way.

Now-when-I-go-to-shows,I-have-to-literly-push-back,all-the-other-cats,that-are-not-going,when-I-open-the-cage-door,lol.

This-takes-alot-of-time-and-alot-of-patience,its-not-an-overnight-process.You-have-to-let-him-progress,at-his-own-speed.With-kittens,we-just-start-feeding-them-in-the-carrier,but-they-have-no-fear-of-the-carrier.We-had-to-undo-your-cats-fear-first.Hope-this-helps,best-of-luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the response..Ive printed it out and will try it...