how common is redirected aggression in cats?

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cats were 3 and 5 they had a single instance of redirected aggression that led to them being separated for a year, meds and behaviour therapy. It was severe and my vet told me their level of aggression was extreme and unusual. After a year the young one (and the aggressor) had to be put down for medical reasons, which they suspect was the reason it was so extreme, she had been in pain without us knowing it until the end.

Then, the then 6 year old seemed happy on her own but suffered from ptsd and anxiety. She became increasingly aggressive toward my roommate, myself and when i had people over. Meds never worked for her, nothing was wrong with her according to the vet/tests, and the vet gave me strategies that might help. Some behavioural, some stimulation suggestions too because I knew she was bored. They did help but the aggression got worse until it got dangerous and this past July I had to put her down at age 8. The vet agreed with my decision and I said goodbye.

These are the only cats I've adopted as an adult and I find myself a bit traumatized and worried that something similar will happen if i get cats. In hindsight, my first kitten should have been adopted with a playmate since she was so shy. I am fostering again and had a litter or 4, 1 is left. everytime they would hiss (in a normal boundary setting way) I would freeze and could just feel my heartbeat start to race.

How common do cats show redirected aggression to each other? I feel like i'd want 2 since part of the problem was my cat needed a friend but just so worried. and then i think i could adopt one adult cat but then what if he gets so lonely he needs a friend? if i got two Id want a sibling set, two that have a strong bond. My plan is to keep fostering until i relax a bit but during covid i am quite lonely and this has been such a rough year for me personally i could really fill the void with a pet or two.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like its a reasonably common thing to have a minor episode that resolves in hours or days. For it to morph into a lasting and severe problem is much rarer. There other rare situations too, cats that are problematically prone to redirected aggression, or situations where its hard to avoid the trigger, often a cat that is seen through a window or glass door. But all in all, I haven't seen many posts on severe issues, I think its quite rare for severe problems.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with A ArtNJ . The kind of reactions that you have experienced are very few and far between. Normal redirected aggression is a short-term thing, and almost always resolves itself with only a little help from guardians on occasion.

If you want two, it's more about personalities than about a blood tie. See if you can go through a fosterer, or a group with cats in large, common areas, so that you can observe who is buddies with whom. Or check with shelters. If you tell them that you are interested in adopting a bonded pair, especially if you are open to cats over 5 years in age, you'll be welcomed with opened arms!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have brought a lot of cats into my house, owned a number at the same time, and have never had the experience that you describe. Of course it is traumatizing and beyond upsetting. There have been short term issues between a couple, but usually it did not amount to aggression but to one hiding until they felt safe with the other cat. The only case I have had similar to yours was between two JRTs (terriers) where someone was almost PTS but was able to be retrained.

I agree that you should tell your story to whomever you are talking to about adoption and ask that they give advice about personalities, friendships, etc. You are evidently a good cat owner, tried to resolve this issue with medical and behavioral help, and need to make potential shelters or rescues aware of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding, it's reassuring to know this isn't a common thing. Our cats growing up never did this but they had a big house with lots of space so i wasn't sure if that was part of it.

I foster for a local cat organization so i'll have lots of support and help getting the right pair, i if i can hold off until next summer i could foster a litter and see for myself which ones work well together. I hadn't really considered matching personality up within the litter so I'll make sure I consider that too.

fionasmom - thank you for the validation about me being a good pet owner. The hardest part of her dying was i didn't feel like i could be as open about her passing to people for fear of judgement or having to explain everything.

I have a new foster kitten, I'm trying to pour myself into her to make her adoptable and just focus on that until I'm ready

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The reason I mentioned about making it clear that you were responsible and proactive is that there are rescues who ask how previous pets passed on, you decide to tell the truth, they jump to a value judgment. It happened to a friend of mine with a golden retriever rescue with a similar story. However, since you work with a rescue and foster, their trust in your should be solid. Glad that you have a new foster kitten to work with and enjoy.