How Common Is Happy Drooling?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I asked several vets over the 14 years I've had this cat. He's done the happy drooling since he was a five month old kitten with absolutely no health issues. When he does it, he purrs madly and loudly, he climbs all over me, he literally can't get close enough to me, he chews on my hair, he'll crawl under the covers with me, wrap his paws around my neck and arms and be rolling happily with a look of bliss on his face.
He'll give me love bites and if I pet any other animals he'll literally climb on them, sit on them and do anything he can to put himself between me and them so he's closer (think little kid saying ME ME ME!!!!!).
He's at least part maine Coon.
Vets have all said that he's drooling because he's in absolute ecstasy over the affection. They see him purring so loud during exams they can't check his heartbeat.
Now that he has cancer the drooling he does when he's nauseous is completely different so I know when to give him antinausea meds.
Some cats can absolutely drool from happiness just like Pavlov's dogs were conditioned to drool anticipating food from a sound.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Inkysmom. My drooler started hers as a kitten and did it only while being petted until she died at age 18. During that time there were dental checkups and cleanings and many vet visits and she was fine.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
All three of mine drool to varying degrees when they're on my lap and kneading. I call it "going to their happy place." Iris and Mocha just drizzle a little. Lily takes the prize. Not only does she drool, but her nose runs as well. For your viewing pleasure: double whammy of drool and nose goo.
MQAR7587.jpg

I understand what you're saying, PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws , but the only time they do it is when they're on my lap, purring, and kneading. All three conditions have to be met!

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm all for due diligence and taking your cat to the vet to make sure, that's all. For everyone that has done that, yay! Happy dance!

To my mind, though, drooling like a faucet (whether happy or not) is not normal for a cat. So, for me, a vet visit would be in the works for my cat for sure.

:hugs:

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a happy drooler. Funky's mouth tends to water and drip when he's making muffins.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend's snowshoe (RIP) would drool whenever she got a good petting session from either one of us. Our current kitty Smo also drools when she kneads one of us - she sort of nudges her head into the blanket and when she's done there are damp spots where her mouth was resting, lol. So cute. We haven't seen this with my boyfriend's other two cats (a panther boy and a tortie girl), but they are definitely not as attached to us as the drooly kitties I mentioned.