How can you to tell if a cat should be an "only pet?"

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of you have followed my story in the ferals and pregnant cat forums and those who have offered advice have been lifesavers for me so now I'm hoping someone can offer me some guidance on this matter. Please forgive the recap if you already were following the other threads of mine..

1. Henryetta was apparently abandoned by people I didn't know who lived across the street when they abandoned their house last November, and yet they took their dachshunds.  I noticed her hanging out on the driveway for a while and then wandering into my backyard so I began feeding her outside in December.  It took a few weeks before she was somewhat comfortable with me but eventually she was and would come to me when I called or if she heard me outside since she seemed to live under a tarp under one of my now out-of-state next-door neighbor's vacant house. I continued to feed her outside and worried about trapping her.  My resident male cat named Chaucer enjoyed watching her through the glass door and eventually I would serve breakfast to them both at the same time so they could see each other through the glass or screen, depending on the weather. Long story short, they "knew" each others scent.

2. Henryetta went into heat and I still wasn't sure that I could trap her. She mated with a male cat, presumably one who also was abandoned from across the street in late February. She became pregnant and I worried about her then. She ate a lot, by the way. On the first of April, I noticed her not looking so well and lying on my door mat so fearing she'd lost the kittens and was ill, it was now or never. So I took a chance and brought out Chaucer's carrier, put some tuna in it and surprisingly she went in very easily.  The vet put her under and checked her out (gave her shots, worming without my authorization, but that was another thread) and I brought her home the next day. She stayed in the house laundry room mostly and I kept her and Chaucer separated some but they still "knew" each other by scent.

3. Five healthy kittens were born May 1 in the large storage room where I moved her for the birth. All but one have been adopted and that one is being picked up  next month. She was a great mother and trusted me completely through all of this. She is very loving towards me.

4. Currently, I allow Henryetta, Chaucer and Miss Honeychurch (the kitten) to get together both inside and in the storage room where Mother and Kitten still live. Henryetta and Chaucer greet each other with nose touches and snifffing. They will even eat together.  Chaucer and Miss Honeychurch love to play together and he is very good with her. Henryetta apparently trusts him with her baby to playfight, but oddly enough she does NOT want him to mess with her.

She hisses and growls very loudly and repeatedly at him if he approaches her in a friendly manner (he is very friendly, playful and sociable). She has swatted him and screeched at him as well. This occurs more in the house than in the storage room but it does occur both places. He doesn't puff up at her, except for a time when he was not feeling well, but will walk off. Today he bit her behind in an attempt to play and she went ballistic (for her) by screeching and swatting along with growls.

They have gone through the slow introductions and it is now over four months later, not counting the morning breakfast times going on since late January. Henryetta clearly trusts him with her kitten and she will eat with him and lie down in the same room with him, but she does not want him playing with her or bothering her. Chaucer doesn't mind another cat around.   Is there hope or is Henryetta better suited to an only pet home?  After going through all of this with Henryetta the past nine or ten months, I'd like to keep her and don't want her to feel abandoned again.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Chaucer for the most part, leaves her be?  I would say that itself is reasonable behavior.  So if she has to stay, she can.  It's very hard to rehome a cat and have it be an only pet.  Most people will not keep that word.  They will get a dog or another cat.  She seem comfortable with you to me.  If Chaucer and she are not friends but can coexists without any major issues, I say it's all good. 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with P3 and the King,
It sounds like she's just not as sociable as him, but they make it work.
Our Freya would never let the boys play with her. She went nuts if they tried, yet they would all sleep and eat together. She seems comfortable with you and with Chaucer. As long as no one's hurting anyone else, it sounds like its going just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the responses and you encouragement.  I'd like to think they get along in their fashion but sometimes I am not so sure. Chaucer has backed off for the most part when she swats at him, but that may not always be the case. He could get seriously hurt by her if she fights him.  She is an experienced fighter since she's been semi-feral/outdoors most all her life and has tough-as-leather skin. She feels completely different than he does. She is also stockier while he is long and lean - more like a Siamese in shape- although they weigh about the same. He has been an only pet since I adopted him from a shelter when he was 4 months old. He has very thin, kitten-like skin. The vet told me this is because he was only born with one testicle, which seems to be a bit uncommon, and he was neutered at a very young age which was around 2 months old, and yes, they did exploratory for the other testicle but could not find it, so he does not exhibit the traits of a Tom cat. I don't know how much of this I believe, but he does have soft, thin skin.

Chaucer doesn't leave her alone when she is in the house with him. He follows her around and will try to get close to her. It's not in a "this is my territory" way but more in a curious, "let's be friends and play" way. She goes under the furniture and lies there but when he gets too close, she gets upset.  He seems puzzled by her actions since she greets him in a friendly manner when she comes inside and will eat with him. When he is out in the storage room with her and her kitten for socializing, she greets him and then goes on about her business, even grooming herself while he sits nearby.  She lets him roughhouse with her kitten. I feel sure Chaucer is confused by the way she acts.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I know that I am weighing in late on this thread, but perhaps you can get Chaucer a young kitten for a playmate - Lord knows that there are plenty of kitties desperate for a home and yours is just about Kitty-Heaven! Henryetta (I love the name) can enjoy being Her Majesty in a clowder of three and Chaucer will have the companionship that he craves. Another alternative would be to consider a small dog - my indoor cats have enjoyed the companionship of dachshunds.

Thank you for rescuing Miss Henryetta and finding homes for her kittens - the whole community should be eternally grateful for your efforts. Were in not for you, the situation would have digressed into an expanding colony of ferals where, although the reproduction rates are high, the survival rates of kittens are not and the suffering is heartbreaking. You are a true CAT HERO

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I know that I am weighing in late on this thread, but perhaps you can get Chaucer a young kitten for a playmate - Lord knows that there are plenty of kitties desperate for a home and yours is just about Kitty-Heaven! Henryetta (I love the name) can enjoy being Her Majesty in a clowder of three and Chaucer will have the companionship that he craves. Another alternative would be to consider a small dog - my indoor cats have enjoyed the companionship of dachshunds.

Thank you for rescuing Miss Henryetta and finding homes for her kittens - the whole community should be eternally grateful for your efforts. Were in not for you, the situation would have digressed into an expanding colony of ferals where, although the reproduction rates are high, the survival rates of kittens are not and the suffering is heartbreaking. You are a true CAT HERO
Thank you for the compliments and encouragement, catsknowme, and for taking the time to respond. It's never too late for advice.  I'm not used to having two cats in the house. 

The last kitten to go to her home and Chaucer loved to play with each other. I would take him out there in the mornings and sometimes in the late afternoon to play. He looked forward to it.  The kitten, Miss Honeychurch, was 4 months old when I first started doing this and she showed no fear of him and would wrestle, chase and play-fight with him. They  had fun.  Henryetta hissed and growled at him if he attempted to play with her but would let him play with her kitten and would go hide.  Had my friends changed their minds about taking the kitten, I'd have kept and tried to figure out how to contain her in the house. No dogs. I don't have a fenced backyard.

The good thing is that Henryetta has moved into the house, hasn't missed her kittens and loves living here.  She's been in the house over a week now. Chaucer is delighted to have a friend and she is coming around.  She just doesn't want to wrestle and play-fight with him and will hiss and growl when he tries. There have been some screeching "fights" but no injuries so I think this is just a boundary thing. Chaucer has no boundaries, is very playful and sociable and seems to love having another cat in the house with him. It provides entertainment and excitement for him. Henryetta is learning to be playful and sociable.  Chaucer is currently her "frenemy."

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to let anyone know who was following this thread:  Henryetta is adjusting to Chaucer and will sniff him and play around him now. She will also sleep a few feet from him, too.  I think of them as in the dating stage. She's playing hard to get with him and he's pursuing her.