How Can You Tell If It's Ibd Etc

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My kitten Ruby is a 7-month-old Siberian. A few times per month, she will have loose stools that are extra horrible-smelling. She also gets gassy sometimes, and her cat farts smell like sulphur. I am not sure how to proceed other than trying to switch out her food, which will also mean switching the food for my other cat (who has no symptoms of this nature). This problem doesn't seem to impact her health or happiness, but it is gross, especially when it gets on her fluffy butt. Plus, I don't want her to develop a stomach problem.

So, what is the difference between what you would see in food allergy, IBD, etc? When she shows symptoms I give her probiotic powder and sometimes a 1/4 dose of cat kaolin-pectin liquid. This fixes things but is not a permanent solution. The vet said to try a different brand of dry food, so I'm transitioning the cats from Wellness Core Grain-Free Kitten Food to Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Kitten Food (has rice). For wet, she eats Chicken Soup for the Soul Kitten Food but she was eating something else before and already had the problem, so I'm thinking it must be the dry food if it's food. What are some common reactive food things? Other relevant fact is that she eats a lot of random crap off the floor, no matter how much I try to sweep. She eats kleenex and stuff, maybe it's possibly the cause. The vet said kittens often have weird poop until 9 months old or so but I'm still hoping to figure this out as much as I can.
Thanks in advance!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have they tested and treated for parasites, and Giardia? Stinky loose stools often signal a Giardia issue.

Food allergies and such are very hard to figure out sometimes. One food only, and if still problems try a different brand, maybe a different protein? One dry i have been fond of lately is Taste of the Wild Prey. they have very limited ingredients. They have a beef, and also a turkey. » Formula Results

wild calling wet food is normally a single protein.
Merrick back country wet, in the black pouches, also has rabbit and a beef flavor that has no chicken. Chicken is something some cats are allergic to. Your vet may have some other suggestions.

I would definitely watch if she eats "stuff" be extra careful to keep things picked up. That could cause all kinds of blockage problems.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be very unusual for a 7 month old kitten to have developed IBD. My IBD kitty''s first flare was at 18 months and he went undiagnosed because it is so rare even at 18 months. My other kitty would have the same issue as yours is having anytime she ate any of the dry grain free foods like Wellness Core. She was that way even as a kitten. She can eat foods that have fillers other than grain in them but the really high quality grain free dry foods would always cause problems for her. I had a couple of people tell me that it isn't an issue that is really all that rare.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
denice denice That's very interesting! That was actually my suspicion (the Wellness Core); I'm in the process of switching it to the lass-fancy but still acceptable Blue Buffalo

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're sure it's not worms, Florastor an S Boulllardi is exc at ending diarrhea until u get to vet