How Can I Warm Up My New Cat? Trying Everything.

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all. So, here's the shortened version of a long story:

Adopted a new 2 year old cat from a rescue on Monday. Previously was a feral cat that became rescued and super lovey with the rescue owner before we ended up getting him.

When we brought him home he was scared to death (reasonably so), shook, we couldn't pet him and he hid under our bed/dresser. He didn't eat for three days until yesterday when he started eating for the first time and that's awesome.

We have him in our bedroom with the door closed and his food/water/litter box all nearby so no other pets can come in and disturb him.

Since we got him he really hasn't warmed up to us or the place at all. We have soothing music on in the background all day, spent a little time in the room with him all quiet and sweet talk him but he just stares at us. We can't really get near him because he wedges himself against the wall and when we look at him much he hisses even after we do the soft/slow blinks.

We have given him catnip which he enjoys but still can't get near him and he doesn't come out from under the bed/dresser to socialize or even explore the room while we are around. We have seen him roam in the morning while we are sleeping but as soon as he sees we are awake he runs and hides.

What do you guys think we should do to warm him up to us? It's been four days and I know this takes time but we at least want to see some process (haha). Any tips are appreciated as we want to turn this scared cat into someone who can trust us because the rescue said it took a bit of time for him to warm up to people. We have three other cats who we want to be his friend but don't want to introduce them into the new cat is comfortable with us and at least comes out of the bed. We haven't even seen him all the way since he hides!

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Trizzo. I see that you said, "...so no other pets can come in and disturb him." What other pets are there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Trizzo. I see that you said, "...so no other pets can come in and disturb him." What other pets are there?
We have three other cats in the apartment but none allowed inside my bedroom while new cat is in there.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Four days seems like a very short amount of time to me? I would probably spend some time in the room reading out loud to get him used to your voice and presence, but give him enough time alone to eat and use the litter box and roam in the room he's in.

It's also possible the music is making it harder for him to listen to the rest of the household?

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Putting myself in his paws..."It is 4 vs 1, so I'm going to stay put in my box and hope they will all be gone when I open my eyes. Oh no...it's not working!"

I saw this video of a traumatized rescue dog at a Vet, that would not eat. The Vet cared so much that he sat with her inside the cage, and ate his food beside her, and encouraged her to eat. Perhaps this would help. He needs to get to know you, to feel comfortable with you...and you first, before meeting the other pets individually. I would suggest that after he is comfortable with you, gradually introduce him to the best of the other candidates first so they can bond a little. This would be the start of his support group.

I'm sure there is a lot of info here on how to go about that should you need it. I recently watch a well done video illustrating the same with the youtube cats "Cole and Marmalade" on Chris Poole's channel.

I found the video of the Vet dining with the rescue dog inside her cage. I don't think I'm allowed to link youtube vids here. I remove the link as it puts this huge panel into this reply. Please google "Kind vet eats breakfast in cage with scared rescue dog" posted by USA Today. I think this will encourage you. [sniff sniff-wipes eyes]

Please keep us posted. Thank you for providing him a wonderful home. Be patient. Let him come around in his own time.

Last edited:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of rescues have been through a lot, and even for a cat that hasn't, 4 days isn't all that long.

Still, if you want to try and jump start things a bit, you could try getting out a fresh wand toy (brand new so that it isn't covered in the scent of your other cats) and then (carefully) seeing if you can't get the cat to play with you and it and you. If it works, great, play a bit, then leave the cat be, and repeat it every so often. If not, it will probably just take a bit more time and patience.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greg and arnold took several days before they vengured out from under the bed when we brought them home. Probably took a week or so before we could even touch them. And they were from a caring family home with another cat.

Be patient. Perhaps put a shirt with your sent near, but not too close to your hiding cat and leave some treats out in the open....and maybe ignore the cat and no eye contact yet.

Bad kitty.....get off the table........yeah sure.
20170422_092921.jpg

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept my feral kitten in the master bathroom for her first nine days here with food, water, litter, toys and a fleece blanket inside a cat carrier. The cat carrier was the only place she could hide (except where she didn't think I could see her behind the toilet). I sat on the bathroom floor 10-15 minutes of every hour I was home during that first week.

You might try putting some cardboard boxes or other "hidey holes" around your bedroom so that she has someplace to hide out, but block off the openings under your dresser, under the bed, or any other furniture where she would be hard to access.

A lot of times feral cats become one-person cats. She bonded with the previous rescue owner. In time she will bond with you, too.