How can I walk my cat with dogs in the area?

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do others that walk their cats handle encounters with dogs?

I'm considering leash training my cat to help with exercise and stimulation, but I live across the street from a popular dog walking trail. All times of day there are people coming and going on my street with leashed dogs of all sizes, and occasionally off-leash dogs despite it being illegal here. I sometimes hear about biting incidents. If we ever wanted to venture beyond my front garden, how should I handle it? Is it too risky?

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you do an enclosed stroller? That way your kitty could get a chance to see what's going on outside, but is less likely to be able to escape (and possibly less likely to be noticed by off leash dogs). I'd also carry an umbrella and/or pet corrector with you in case a dog does come after you, so you can scare them off.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be scared to attempt it. Not only the leashed dogs who might bark and scare him, but the idiots who think the leash laws don't apply to their dogs. "Don't worry, he's friendly!" Well, I am not. :rolleyes: Do you have a back yard that's fenced that you could use as an "adventure" spot, while on a harness and leash?
To add, I never take my 5 pound Papillon out on walking trails for this reason. All it would take would be one bite from one dog for her to be seriously injured or worse. It really sucks that people who abide by leash laws get ran out of nice places to go because of people who believe they're above the law.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I totally hear what everyone is saying. Honestly, I don't think I had synthesized all the facts of my situation until sitting down to write this post.

Cancel the walking idea! Going to go the catio direction instead, maybe a cat wheel too. I have two cats, they do a good job of chasing each other down the hallway so that's probably fine exercise. Just made a microchipping appointment anyway, just to have all bases covered.

I am super curious how or where anyone CAN walk their cat safely, seems like dogs/other threats are everywhere.

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be scared to attempt it. Not only the leashed dogs who might bark and scare him, but the idiots who think the leash laws don't apply to their dogs. "Don't worry, he's friendly!" Well, I am not. :rolleyes: Do you have a back yard that's fenced that you could use as an "adventure" spot, while on a harness and leash?
To add, I never take my 5 pound Papillon out on walking trails for this reason. All it would take would be one bite from one dog for her to be seriously injured or worse. It really sucks that people who abide by leash laws get ran out of nice places to go because of people who believe they're above the law.
The backyard is mostly fenced and very tucked in, so possibly? I am a renter so I have no power to complete the fencing unfortunately. Amazingly many neighborhood cats visit my yard and seem to have no problem with the dogs in the area.

I really hate that the Oh The Law Doesn't Apply To Me Tee Hee people ruin communal spaces for others too. Think outside yourself a little, sheesh.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm I totally hear what everyone is saying. Honestly, I don't think I had synthesized all the facts of my situation until sitting down to write this post.

Cancel the walking idea! Going to go the catio direction instead, maybe a cat wheel too. I have two cats, they do a good job of chasing each other down the hallway so that's probably fine exercise. Just made a microchipping appointment anyway, just to have all bases covered.

I am super curious how or where anyone CAN walk their cat safely, seems like dogs/other threats are everywhere.
I think they will love a catio. Walking would be fun, but it's dependant on you and your schedule. With a catio they can come and go as they please! Mine is open right now and my male is snoozing in the grass. (At least until we get the downpour the weather man has predicted for later!)

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they will love a catio. Walking would be fun, but it's dependant on you and your schedule. With a catio they can come and go as they please! Mine is open right now and my male is snoozing in the grass. (At least until we get the downpour the weather man has predicted for later!)
Aww, lucky boy! Hope he doesn't get drenched.
I can't build anything permenant or affix directly to the house, but I still think there's potential for something. A large window box? If I owned, I would enclose the porch, easy peasy.

Do you worry about bugs getting inside? We have lots of mosquitos here.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a cat door and it seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the bugs out :) It has a cover, but the cats can remove it (:sigh: ) so I cover the closed cat door with this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CAMCO-Wash...r3A8PGKjjxQE9inHq0gaAidfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
(It matches the wall and with a cat tree up against it, it's cat proof, at least so far!)
A window box would be awesome! There are free standing catios you can buy that are ready to use, too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats walk me around the property sometimes we don't even leave the porch.

Walking a cat is not like walking a dog. Let them decide where to go as long as it isn't dangerous.

One idea for a practical catio would be a sort of enclosed porch you could both use. Screens instead of chicken wire to keep mosquitos/cold out. Full sized door and roof idk just a thought I had. Alot of them look too cage like imo and let biting insects in. Deer flies and giant horse flies get really bad where I live in the summer.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I take mine to an outdoor mall at night. Less likely dogs will be there and it's slightly cooler (phoenix). Or I'll go early morning. I'm getting kittens used to people and different environments. Along with traffic and busses (can't really ease them on busses since that's how we travel). Hard to do since I live on the corner of two stroads. So it's quiet at maybe 3 am and that's it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The backyard is mostly fenced and very tucked in, so possibly? I am a renter so I have no power to complete the fencing unfortunately. Amazingly many neighborhood cats visit my yard and seem to have no problem with the dogs in the area.

I really hate that the Oh The Law Doesn't Apply To Me Tee Hee people ruin communal spaces for others too. Think outside yourself a little, sheesh.
We have a back patio that is fenced too. Mostly, the cats get leashed outdoor time there. We use RC harnesses that are slip resistant.

We have a lot of people who say, "oh don't worry, they're friendly." Or "they have cats!" Meaning their dog is good with cats.

Well that's fine and dandy for you my cat is frightened of your dog.

Basically, Magnus comes out front with me only. I am vigilant and keep him within arm's reach. It's quiet enough and I have enough line or sight that I can pick him up if we see a dog coming. I take him at times where outside is calm like when most people are working. He will scale me if he sees a dog anyway.

My neighbour's dog used to visit my late cat in our fenced yard portion. He's excellent with cats and I know this personally. But Magnus hissed at him through the fence and then he barked at Magnus and Magnus freaked out. Magnus has seen him through the window, noses pressed on either side with no issue. So needless to say they will not be introduced for both their safety and the dog can't come over anymore.

It's frustrating that people don't understand that there's two animals involved in the equation. No one knows how their pet will react to another new creature until it happens.

Keep him in the back to walk him IMO. It's not worth the headache.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have a back patio that is fenced too. Mostly, the cats get leashed outdoor time there. We use RC harnesses that are slip resistant.

We have a lot of people who say, "oh don't worry, they're friendly." Or "they have cats!" Meaning their dog is good with cats.

Well that's fine and dandy for you my cat is frightened of your dog.

Basically, Magnus comes out front with me only. I am vigilant and keep him within arm's reach. It's quiet enough and I have enough line or sight that I can pick him up if we see a dog coming. I take him at times where outside is calm like when most people are working. He will scale me if he sees a dog anyway.

My neighbour's dog used to visit my late cat in our fenced yard portion. He's excellent with cats and I know this personally. But Magnus hissed at him through the fence and then he barked at Magnus and Magnus freaked out. Magnus has seen him through the window, noses pressed on either side with no issue. So needless to say they will not be introduced for both their safety and the dog can't come over anymore.

It's frustrating that people don't understand that there's two animals involved in the equation. No one knows how their pet will react to another new creature until it happens.

Keep him in the back to walk him IMO. It's not worth the headache.
What these irresponsible owners don't realize is even a cat friendly dog will chase a cat that runs. Even if it's in play, the cats don't know the difference.
I had the unfortunate experience of seeing a stray cat drop dead of fright from being chased by an off leash dog, and in the place where it happened, the owners were breaking the leash law. Completely the fault of the horrible dog owner. (I was asked to hang back and not speak to the dog owners because I think the people I was with knew I might say something I shouldn't.)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
iPappy iPappy How awful 😞 of course you wanted to say something.

I really worry that Magnus will hiss/growl/swat and even if a dog acts submissive at home with their own cat, doesn't mean it will act that way with a stranger cat.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
iPappy iPappy How awful 😞 of course you wanted to say something.

I really worry that Magnus will hiss/growl/swat and even if a dog acts submissive at home with their own cat, doesn't mean it will act that way with a stranger cat.
Very much. My friend brought her very sweet 60 pound-ish dog over one day. He lives with two cats 100% peacefully. My two older cats have lived with bigger dogs and were only mildly annoyed, but Lila has never seen a dog that size and panicked, which sent my friends dog into a barking fit, which further scared Lila. The dog is not aggressive, but wasn't sure how to act with a cat that was running, hissing, etc. We now keep our visits outside the house, as my friend loves all creatures and doesn't want to upset any of my cats by simply popping over to say hello.