how can i tell if kitty is dying these days?

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i've never been witness to an animal's death.
i think Miss Kitty is dying tonight. she refused food all day ONCE i could find her (hiding); i had to move all the furniture; she usually comes to her name but....not today. i saw her take some water once but ... that's all. she continues to 'hide'. i just patted her now and there's a faint 'mmmmm'. she's SUCH a good kitty, so quiet, so affectionate. but she's lost a lot of weight lately too. i've never seen an animal to its end before.

then again there's Mr Kitty - he is only eating 1/2 his food share now - very unusual. i don't know if he's empathising with her (they're brother/sister) or not. he's asleep now on the couch with his personal mousie.
any comments would be appreciated.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry your girl is unwell. It's too hard to know what is wrong, but it could be treatable. A vet visit would help you set your mind at rest.:hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sorry, i forgot to mention i took each one of them to the Vet's not long ago. Miss Kitty has kidney disease & i give her pills. Mr Kitty has digestive problems so i must give him laxatives, as recommended by the Vet. i do this every day. i don't expect them to improve - they are between 15 to 20 years old (rescues) but i would like to know HOW a kitty dies - what to watch for, what to know. i can't find this info anywhere. ??? and...thank you for replying to my question earlier

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Stopping eating is a big one, and cats cannot go long without food.. it rapidly effects their liver.
With my girl who had kidney failure, she wobbled very badly when she walked and then just stopped walking and eating. I know it sounds a bit 'out there', but she also looked at me as if to say 'I've had enough'. At that stage I rang the vet and they came around to euthanise her. I haven't had a cat just die naturally, I'm sorry.
But extreme lethargy and not eating are definite signs. Remember too that cats purr when they're contented, but also when they're in pain.
Hopefully some more of our members will be around soon to help. I'm so sorry you and your furries going through this.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kidney failure doesn't kill cats directly. Rather, it puts so much stress on the system that the kitties other organs fail. Its like an accellerated version of old age in that regard. So it won't kill two cats in exactly the same way, depending on what organs fail to what degrees. If one is "lucky," kitties heart may fail towards the end, and death may be painless and quick, before life becomes tortuous for kitty. However, sometimes the end is not fast or kind. It can be slow and fairly brutal, with kitty not moving or eating much, and no longer using the litter box, peeing all over themselves, lingering with no quality of life for weeks. As mani mani said, sometimes recruiting the help of the vet is a mercy for your beloved pet.

Cats in end stage kidney failure don't get miraculously get better, but sometimes they may squeeze out more time than one would think. So its a matter of just making sure they dont have weeks or months left where they could still enjoy life, not making the decision too soon and robbing them (and you) of time to say goodbye. So, you'll have to wait and see. You'll know its time when you know.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, how sad! To be honest, I have heard from people who witnessed the death of their cats as something peaceful and far better than euthanasia.

I have unfortunately witnessed one cat death when I had no chance to get poor Lilly (kidney disease plus?) to the vet to be put out of her misery. The days (and weeks) beforehand were characterised by, not only vet visits (the vet mainly wanted her to be in a reasonable condition so that he could remove her few remaining teeth!) but by good days, when she joined us and visitors in the living area and bad days whn she hid in the cellar.

Her final day (a Sunday) was spent in the cellar - refusing food and water - and, in the late evening I found her curled up in the litter box. I moved her to a large dog kennel with a heated cushion - she was very cold and couldn't move her back legs. She was extremely uncomfortable and kept moving about. She didn't seem to recognise me, couldn't take painkillers, so I just sat with her trying to keep her in the box and away from other dangers. I was expecting the worst, phoned my friends who I knew would still be awake at midnight to tell them that if she survived the night I would be taking Lilly to the vet's first thing in the morning for euthanasia. But it didn't come to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stopping eating is a big one, and cats cannot go long without food.. it rapidly effects their liver.
With my girl who had kidney failure, she wobbled very badly when she walked and then just stopped walking and eating. I know it sounds a bit 'out there', but she also looked at me as if to say 'I've had enough'. At that stage I rang the vet and they came around to euthanise her. I haven't had a cat just die naturally, I'm sorry.
But extreme lethargy and not eating are definite signs. Remember too that cats purr when they're contented, but also when they're in pain.
Hopefully some more of our members will be around soon to help. I'm so sorry you and your furries going through this.
thank you; i've researched a little further since then - i've been up all night. so...i went & offered her some treats - since they are stronger in smell, i believe and...i left her a very small bowl (Japanese) of fresh water. she ate some, drank some & then i lifted her from the floor to her fav perch on the back of the couch. (meanwhile i had to beat him off from taking her 'food' again). but, ast this hour - 6:30 AM here - she is resting & seem to be 'better'. THANK you again for your care in trying to help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might order some 'comfort' medicine to give her in her food. It is a pain killer and helps with any pain she may have. It's so very hard to watch them decline, and it can take a long time. Just offer her love if she seems to want it, you just being near really helps to calm her. There is no easy way to prepare her or yourself for this, it is very painful to the heart no matter what. Dying usually shuts down a lot of the body functions, including those of awareness and pain, I pray this for her. May God bless you both, and let her death be peaceful.......

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a cat die at God's hand at home and it was very peaceful. She just kind of lost consciousness in my arms.

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might order some 'comfort' medicine to give her in her food. It is a pain killer and helps with any pain she may have. It's so very hard to watch them decline, and it can take a long time. Just offer her love if she seems to want it, you just being near really helps to calm her. There is no easy way to prepare her or yourself for this, it is very painful to the heart no matter what. Dying usually shuts down a lot of the body functions, including those of awareness and pain, I pray this for her. May God bless you both, and let her death be peaceful.......
thank you so much for your advice! and caring!! she won't eat at all, today the same but...she does drink. the Vet told me she has no pain. today she walked very very slowly & managed to sleep on the ouch instead of hiding away. does it take a long time for 'her' to die? i have no idea.

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mean Mr Kitty? Be gentle with him, he is going to need you. Purr toys, heartbeat toys and cat music cat.n help too.
i didn't actually 'beat him off' - i never do but he can be quite a pest. lately he's underfoot all the time, blocks my path & howls when i go into another room. still...i give him much attention & even hugs! Mr Kitty no longer plays with toys and now hates catnip; i accidentally vac'ed up his favourite squeaky mouse and the store says they're not getting any deliveries lately. i know, i shall continue to take good care of him - he's so funny! & cuddly!