How can I teach him to *finish* in the litterbox?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trent has always done the "What a load off" run-at-warp-speed-and-go-crazy when he uses the litterbox for #2.
In the past couple weeks, it seems he's started to take off a little *too soon*. This isn't like a huge or daily thing, we've found 2 little poos outside the box. (unfortunately, the one I found today was after I had stepped on it and tracked it across the kitchen
) Since I scoop the boxes, I know that it's not all the poo, just a dangler. (sorry to be so graphic!)

Is there any way we can teach him again to *wait* until he's finished before taking off? We have yet to catch him in the act, but we know it's him because Ophelia is a dig to China kind of kitty, fastidious about covering (so hers would probably fall off in or right by the litterbox). Trent isn't - he's a go and bolt kind of kitty!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi...we always called these "dingle-berries"

I find that this happens either when my cats are a little bit constipated, so the "berry" doesn't slide out as easily as it should OR it sometimes happens to my long-haired cats when a "berry" somehow clings to the fur.

With the dry stool, I find that feeding some cat grass or a little hairball medicine helps. For the fur problem, I will clip the fur along the cat's bottom and back of the legs to keep Klingons from occurring.

I hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Renae!

I just had a thought....we are in process of switching foods right now, from a very bad grocery story brand (*hanging head in shame*) to Science Diet (Ocean Fish Flavor). Could this be part of the problem? Trent's always had a bit of a sensitive tummy, so I'm making sure it's a very slow transition (1/4 new to 3/4 old for one week, now we're at 1/2 new to 1/2 old this week).

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll bet that the switch is part of the problem. Try mixing in a little fish oil (you can buy capsules in the vitamin section of most pharmacies or WalMart) or giving a little hairball medicine and see whether that helps. The cheaper foods tend to cause softer stool, so the higher quality food might make her stool hard until her body adapts.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
canned pumpkin is better for the cats and they like it alot more than that thick sticky stuff for hairballs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GRR, my little brat cats! We had been growing some cat grass for them, and I figured today would be as good as any to put it out for them, especially with Trent's little dingleberry problem. They sniffed and sniffed and decided it was fun to pull the grass out and drop it.
Eat it Mom? That's just silly!

I'll pick up some canned pumpkin tomorrow.

moo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
our nelson does the same thing some days.

My husband and I call it his 'snapping it off' problem. Like your cat he just takes off before he is quite done - not very funny when there are visitors over and he chooses to leave a piece in front of them on the lounge room floor!!

We buy the cats special cat grass and this doesn't seem to help much.

We have learned to live with it and now find it more amusing than anything else.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
canned pumpkin is better for the cats and they like it alot more than that thick sticky stuff for hairballs.
My cats love the malt flavored hirball stuff and refuse to eat the pumpkin! They actually do little happy dances when I pull out the tube of hairball treatment.