How can I stop Play Aggression?

kuuripu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
I have three cats. Two 3 year old females and one approx. 8-9 month old male kitten. The two females we've had together since they were babies and grew up together. The boy on the other hand is the new addition, and is the troublesome one. He's a high energy, go go go kind of kitten. More playful than any of our girls were at his age. The issue we are having is him playing too roughly. It's to the point where the females are just fed up with it. I'll walk out into the living room in the morning and there will be clumps of white hair all over the carpet. This hair is the male's, and it usually happens when our one female is absolutely not taking any of his rough housing any longer. She will scream and his and get very aggressive with him. Him on the other hand, doesn't respond and continues.
I thought maybe he'd get it through his head that they obviously don't want to play. Despite both females' body language, hissing and screaming he ignores it all and Perseus tackling them.
I'm not sure what to do at this point. Both my girls are stressed out because of him. I've tried just firmly saying no, removing him from playing with one of the girls and giving him something else to play with, or just moving him to another room to go play in. Nothing seems to work, and he is oblivious to any signs from the other cats.
Please help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuuripu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to mention, yes he is neutered! He was neutered as soon as he was heavy enough.

kittykisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same issue with my kitten and my grandparents older cat, who is 6 years old. My kitten would not leave her alone! I would keep them apart whenever my kitten started playing TOO aggressively and then after she seemed to calm down, I'd let her and my grandparents cat sit in the same room for 'playtime' and whenever she got aggressive again, I took a spray bottle filled with water and sprayed her body. At first it didn't seem to work but after doing it over and over again, my cat took the hint that rough-housing wasn't okay.
If nothing helps, you could always go to your vet as most of them will be able to find out why your kitten gets so aggressive. Hope I helped! :)

Last edited: