How can I stop my cat killing rabbits?

Mishu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I’m new here, but I joined so that I could comment on this. There is a new-ish thing called a cat bib. It’s like a rubber bib they wear and it makes them much less stealthy when they try to run. I haven’t used one with my cat, but he comes home with baby bunnies a lot. He just got his first one this year, so I was gonna go ahead and get him one. He might be a little uncomfortable with it for a bit, but I can still let him out and know that he’s not killing songbirds, bunnies, and rodents. I wouldn’t want him getting worms from anything and he can still keep the bunnies away from my lettuce, he just wont be fast enough to kill them. 😊. Has anyone else heard of these or tried them?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like an awful product to me. Unlike a bell, you'd have to take it off when the cat comes in since it looks very uncomfortable. And the cat would bolt whenever they see the thing, meaning you would be setting yourself up for a battle each and every time the cat wants to go out. Which is a disaster. Moreover, if it truly messes with the cat's timing and coordination the way the product description says, sounds like a good way for a cat to get messed up by another cat or eaten by a predator. Additionally, collars are designed to be breakaway, because otherwise there is a risk of a cat getting caught somewhere. Either this thing breaks away and you'll never see it again, or it puts the cat at risk of getting stuck in a fence, bush or whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAT karen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just brought home her first dead rabbit. Apparently no interest in eating it. So this morning I laid the body of this baby into the grove. Returning, I noticed what may have been the mother. She looked searchingly into my eyes. All i could do was to apologize. She very quietly hopped away slowly as I pointed to where I laid the body. The next call is an animal communicator. I have been a vegan most of my life. I have now also put her jingle back on. This at least gives the prey a chance to get away.

CAT karen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I’m new here, but I joined so that I could comment on this. There is a new-ish thing called a cat bib. It’s like a rubber bib they wear and it makes them much less stealthy when they try to run. I haven’t used one with my cat, but he comes home with baby bunnies a lot. He just got his first one this year, so I was gonna go ahead and get him one. He might be a little uncomfortable with it for a bit, but I can still let him out and know that he’s not killing songbirds, bunnies, and rodents. I wouldn’t want him getting worms from anything and he can still keep the bunnies away from my lettuce, he just wont be fast enough to kill them. 😊. Has anyone else heard of these or tried them?
Thank you so much Mishu. I will look for one! For now I will put back on her the collar with the tile so I can see her on my smartphone and also some metal tags that jingle and as you say here...at least give the prey some warning. As an animal rehab volunteer I learned that about 80% of any mother rabbits babies do not make it passed their first year...so today when I apologized to mother she was wounded for sure but seemed as us when someone we care for passes on. This life of kill or be killed must be redesigned. ...it is why I choose to be vegan....but my cat... still haven't decided that would work for her. What a dilemma!

CAT karen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like an awful product to me. Unlike a bell, you'd have to take it off when the cat comes in since it looks very uncomfortable. And the cat would bolt whenever they see the thing, meaning you would be setting yourself up for a battle each and every time the cat wants to go out. Which is a disaster. Moreover, if it truly messes with the cat's timing and coordination the way the product description says, sounds like a good way for a cat to get messed up by another cat or eaten by a predator. Additionally, collars are designed to be breakaway, because otherwise there is a risk of a cat getting caught somewhere. Either this thing breaks away and you'll never see it again, or it puts the cat at risk of getting stuck in a fence, bush or whatnot.
Yes, battle is indeed the word! Then she hides and sulks and I feel awful. But she has been killing too many wildlife lately! And she's 13 and extremely healthy, no doubt because of all the fresh air and exercise.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why don't you just keep your cat inside? The cat would be safe from predators, and the wildlife would be safe from the cat. Coyotes are in most cities which means they are in the surrounding area. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there. If you cripple your cat's ability to escape, he won't be able to, and that will be something for you to think about for the rest of your life.

Vegetarian for many decades here. I don't eat meat, I don't wear leather, but my cats eat meat, because we are not the same physically.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TBH rabbits are very different from birds anyways. Some birds are endangered because cats are too good at hunting them. Very much a disturbance of the eco system. Rabbits, however, need predators or they breed out of control. Its either a cat or a fox/coyote. You can be pro-animal, vegetarian, whatever, and still recognize that cats hunting rabbit babies is a circle of life thing.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Birds suffer terribly from pesticides. Cats mostly get the sick/dying and give them a quick death rather than a drawn out one.

One thing that I've noticed from watching my deck where I throw the bird food is none of the neighbors' cats can catch birds. They try, they fail. If cats were really that good at catching birds, I doubt that cities like Atlanta would have bought and established hawks to catch pigeons.

Cats do seem to specialize some just catch small mammels, (mice will get in the house and chew the wires and set the place on fire), while others attempt birds, and others still go for snakes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site CAT karen CAT karen . Just FYI, Mishu has only ever made one post and has not been back to the site for over a year, so you probably won't get a response from her.

I am vegan as well, and have used animal communicators, so I do understand where you are coming from. This is just me, but my animals are fed regular cat food; the dog gets homemade and all eat animal protein.

The Most Effective Way To Stop Cats From Killing Birds!

You undoubtedly looked this up already. I agree with others that it seriously looks uncomfortable, irritating, and would certainly limit the ability of a cat to escape a larger predator. We have coyotes in huge numbers here, frequent killings even of pets who were let out to the back yard to potty, and I see that huge bib as something that would impede any cat's ability to jump over a wall or fence. If your cat is the biggest predator in your area, that might be different, but to me that makes the cat a potential victim.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I did actually think about an enclosure but he loves playing in the field. I don't think he would be happy in the enclosure even though it would be outside.

I don't mind when he kills mice or even birds, but this cat really only kills rabbits. He had a rabbit when he was about 5 months old. He isn't even 2 years old right now and I can't even tell you how many he has killed now!

Please, it is not okay for him to kill birds. Many different species of birds are dwindling in numbers, and while I think that is due to humans, bird lovers are blaming cats. That includes ferals, strays, and cats who are allowed outside. Australia has enforced the poisoning of cats in certain areas and one nitwit state in this country tried to pass a cat hunting season. Most of these heinous ideas were discussed or acted upon because of people's love for birds....so please, do not make their case for them. You can bell him, it has to be in a certain position on his collar to be effective.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a bell? Did you consider a bell attached to your cat? One my colleague suggested this to me, I did not try it yet but going to.
A bell is a great idea! 3 really good reasons for having cats indoors: they have sharp hearing so they will catch roaches and mosquitos. Way befor someone comes to the door, they stare at it or run and hide. Be sure to microchip your cat if you let him out. Numerous things can happen

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site CAT karen CAT karen . Just FYI, Mishu has only ever made one post and has not been back to the site for over a year, so you probably won't get a response from her.

I am vegan as well, and have used animal communicators, so I do understand where you are coming from. This is just me, but my animals are fed regular cat food; the dog gets homemade and all eat animal protein.

The Most Effective Way To Stop Cats From Killing Birds!

You undoubtedly looked this up already. I agree with others that it seriously looks uncomfortable, irritating, and would certainly limit the ability of a cat to escape a larger predator. We have coyotes in huge numbers here, frequent killings even of pets who were let out to the back yard to potty, and I see that huge bib as something that would impede any cat's ability to jump over a wall or fence. If your cat is the biggest predator in your area, that might be different, but to me that makes the cat a potential victim.
Just realized this a very old thread!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Australia has enforced the poisoning of cats in certain areas and one nitwit state in this country tried to pass a cat hunting season. Most of these heinous ideas were discussed or acted upon because of people's love for birds... "

Then Australia suffered a plague of mice.