How Can I Sterilize Or Sanitize A Cat Tunnel And Cat Tent?

Joealexie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had very sick kitten with panleukopenia/ Feline parvo, and sadly she didn't make it. I recently bought the two items before her sickness, I was hoping if anyone had any experience in disinfecting these type of items? I can't put them in the washer because of the wire.
They have been contaminated either by body fluids (she threw up in the tunnel) or she was resting her last moments inside the tent. Because the this virus is very contagious and hard to get rid of, and I'm scared to bring them inside my house near my other cat.
Thanks,

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be reasonable to soak them in a bucket or large container with bleach? Personally, I would dispose of the items than risking my kitties health. I just couldn't bring myself to risk it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally I'd just discard the items instead of risking bringing the virus into the home. Viruses can be pretty hard to render ineffective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joealexie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would it be reasonable to soak them in a bucket or large container with bleach? Personally, I would dispose of the items than risking my kitties health. I just couldn't bring myself to risk it.
That would of been ideal but they would get bleach stain, and I was afraid that it would come to that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joealexie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Personally I'd just discard the items instead of risking bringing the virus into the home. Viruses can be pretty hard to render ineffective.
yeah it looks like that will the only reasonable option, and start all new

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear if your loss. I would agree that there's no surefire way to disinfect it. High heat from the dryer or a steamer might work on bacteria, but I don't think it's effective enough against highly contagious viruses to risk it. Chewy.com has a lot of inexpensive options for tunnels and tents for you to replace them.