How can I prevent HCM with my sphynx

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 sphynx girls from good reputable breeders but I am still paranoid about HCM. While I know you can’t prevent it completely, would some extra exercise help? They already eat the best food we can provide ( wellness kibble + whole hearted wet) is there any supplement that isn’t extremely expensive or vegetables or ANYTHING I can purchase ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Exercise is always a good thing, and basically everything (good diet, good, restful sleep, clean fresh filtered water) that a cat needs will be beneficial for your cats.

Whether there's anything more specific you can do, I don't know especially since it can be hereditary, but on the other hand, caught early it can be managed from what I'm reading, so do keep up with their wellness checks :), plus some cats do reasonably well even if they get it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
HCM, specifically, is genetic. I have a cat currently who was dxed at 2 years old with it, via echocardiogram, but is asymptomatic at 6 years old. You may find that if you encounter this, atenolol will be prescribed. It is a blood pressure medication, so following that reasoning try to keep sodium under control in whatever you are feeding your cats. Some cat treats are higher in sodium, but don't start allowing treats of processed meat or salty human food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HCM, specifically, is genetic. I have a cat currently who was dxed at 2 years old with it, via echocardiogram, but is asymptomatic at 6 years old. You may find that if you encounter this, atenolol will be prescribed. It is a blood pressure medication, so following that reasoning try to keep sodium under control in whatever you are feeding your cats. Some cat treats are higher in sodium, but don't start allowing treats of processed meat or salty human food.
Just in case one gets it, is the medication extremely expensive?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It usually isn’t treated until it becomes an issue such as congestive heart failure.

Owning a Sphinx is expensive no matter what. I would look into pet insurance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the medication is not usually expensive, but treatments and vet visits are. I had one cat with HCM and he lived for years after just on Lasix. It doesn't have to be extremely life-threatening. There are several heart supplements on Amazon, I recommend Pet Wellbeing or Vetriscience. My cats have lived for three years after being diagnosed with Leukemia, and I attribute a lot of it to supplements. AND keeping them inside and not exposed to all the horrible diseases that are out there. It sure couldn't hurt! Many cats develop this as they age, so I don't think you have a whole lot to worry about until they are at least 7 or 8. IF they have a clean bill of health right now and get regular checkups. The earlier this is diagnosed, the better.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The two medications that Jamie was on (taken off by his cardiologist because it is an early case) were not going to break the bank. However, the echocardiograms, out here at least, run about $500.

My cats have insurance. Take it out now after you do some investigation, if you are interested in enrolling them. If there are any intervening medical issues, they will become exclusions.