How Can I Make Wet Food Affordable?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mix up dry food into the wet one ( 50/50 ), add a touch of water & give that to the kitten. Everywhere I read seems like dry food is only bad for lack of moisture - this way though there is no lack of moisture, the kitties poo is soft when squished & the money saved allows me to buy him high quality food.
Moisture isn’t the only reason dry food is not recommended. It is also very high in carbs.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got it, maybe I will decrease it. He is healthy weight though.
Unpopular opinion on this site: If dry works for you and your cat hasn't had problems, maybe it's fine. My co-volunteer at the humane society just had a cat pass away at 19 years old, fed only on dry Meow Mix its whole life. Maybe it was the exception to the rule, but also something to consider.

That being said, my cats get a majority of their meals from canned and raw foods, but also, they're under a year old.

Do your research and form your own opinion. People on this site are super knowledgeable and informed and I absolutely love them and have learned so much from them, but don't discount other sources of information too. Find what works best with your beliefs/research/situation, and work with that.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unpopular opinion on this site: If dry works for you and your cat hasn't had problems, maybe it's fine. My co-volunteer at the humane society just had a cat pass away at 19 years old, fed only on dry Meow Mix its whole life. Maybe it was the exception to the rule, but also something to consider.

That being said, my cats get a majority of their meals from canned and raw foods, but also, they're under a year old.

Do your research and form your own opinion. People on this site are super knowledgeable and informed and I absolutely love them and have learned so much from them, but don't discount other sources of information too. Find what works best with your beliefs/research/situation, and work with that.
Thanks so much. Even if I wanted to I couldn't afford only wet food for the kitty atm, at best I can increase wet food to be 70% of his food intake. I tried to find information on carbs - seems like main concerns are weight issues and maldigestion. So far he is at healthy weight & poops well but I will be on the lookout for these issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are dry food only, mostly Purina Cat Chow. Shadow died last year, age 20. Montressor is 19 and Midway is 15, both are male and neither are having any urinary problems. Only problem we've had is weight, and Shadow was the only one who really had a weight problem, fixed by measured amounts instead of free range grazing.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got my samples of Dave's today!! They sent me the big 12.5oz cans of 3 different flavors to try!! I was not expecting them to send all 3 flavors, nor such big cans! They asked which food I would like to try and I listed a few I was looking at and told them any one of those would be great...they sent them all! Kitty has already been fed dinner tonight but I know what I'm offering for breakfast in the morning!
Thank you so much for your post about Dave's customer service! I called just now and asked for FOUR Naturally Healthy flavors & the one Turkey & Liver pate and it sounds like they are sending all five to me. Yay! I'm hoping my VERY picky cat will eat this wet food. If so, I'm going to order online on Amazon.

I also really want to try the Cat's Meow ones, but I'll try those another time and when they're more readily available online.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
FF isn't really economical for two cats imo if thats all you feed them. I buy larger cans 12, 13 ,14 oz. And i buy them in bulk on the internet on chewy. I spend around $75 every 3 months on auto ship.