How can I make her stop?

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old kitten Julie has a bad habit, when I am in the kitchen cooking dinner or washing dishes all of a sudden she will jump up onto the back of my thigh and climb up my back and sit on my shoulder, it was ok when she was little but the bigger she gets the more those claws are going to hurt, how can I get her to stop doing that?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooh, you've got a jumper/climber!! Yeah, you need to stop that. Best way is to react naturally. The cat needs to learn that you don't like it. In fact, it's better if it actually hurts, because the cat won't intentionally hurt you. Well, a normal cat, won't anyway.
Yell, scream, jump in surprise. And you'd better be a pretty good actor, because cats can tell when you're faking it.

I've got a jumper/climber, and once when I was on the floor doing some stretches (it was a "cat-back" stretch, ha-ha), he jumped on my back. It hurt!! I yelled in pain and surprise, he leaped off, and he's never done it since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That just might work, she jumped up on my friend the other day when she was'nt expecting it and she yelled out and Julie did jump off and run away.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to stop it when it starts not after it has begun. It is common for kittens to climb all over your legs and stuff, and you put a kabosh on it then so they know this can't do. For now just wear extra shirts for padding and when she climbs on you, turn around so she drops off and hiss at her. Then leave the room.