How can i know whats my cats breed ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only 100% safe way to know what a breed, is to have the cat from a serious breeder, with fully papers Pedigree "certificate of birth".   Or at least, very good proofs.

Sometimes you can get a good guess by several good photos, and perhaps where the cat do lives in.

Most cats are not any especial breed, perhaps 95, they are called domestic.

What most people mean when they ask what breed, is what pattern the cat has, or what colours.

Yours is domestic, black white bi-color. His pattern is often called for tuxedo,

or calico (I think) EDIT. NOT calico. Calico is an variant of tortoise-color with white in, not another american name for a two-color, usually white-black ///

Good luck!

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The only 100% safe way to know what a breed, is to have the cat from a serious breeder, with fully papers Pedigree "certificate of birth".   Or at least, very good proofs.

Sometimes you can get a good guess by several good photos, and perhaps where the cat do lives in.

Most cats are not any especial breed, perhaps 95, they are called domestic.

What most people mean when they ask what breed, is what pattern the cat has, or what colours.

Yours is domestic, black white bi-color. His pattern is often called for tuxedo,  or calico (I think)

Good luck!

And he/she is absolutely adorable!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your new kitten? Have you taken it to the vet yet? It might need to have kitten milk for a little while yet, if it was taken from its mother very early, though it might be old enough to lap kitten formula from a bowl instead of taking a bottle. At least it will need good healthy kitten food, a safe little space to stay in, and a vet checkup. A vet can tell you if your kitten is still young enough to need kitten formula.

What an absolutely adorable kitten, though! We call them "domestic shorthair" when they don't have any obvious breed or mix of breeds. This particular kitten is a black-and-white bicolor, casually known as a "tuxedo cat" because it looks like it is wearing a tiny suit!