How can I keep Toru from trying to escape through the front door

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The scenario is this: I live alone with a wonderful indoor Russian Blue mix named Toru. Well, I want him to be indoor. He wants to be an outdoor cat. I've decided it's best for him to be an indoor cat for various reasons.

As long as I'm home I can supervise the door openings and make sure Toru doesn't escape or that I bring him back inside after a quick outdoor adventure (sometimes I'll let him explore for a couple of minutes... but I'm nervous he can get away from me anytime he decides to so I don't let it happen long. It's possible me letting him explore on these occasions is making him want to go out more, so maybe I need to stop that.

The new scenario is this: My nephew is starting a new school next fall and it's closer to my house than my sister's, so he'll be coming to my place after school. As long as I'm home all is well, but if I happen to be home and my nephew must enter alone, the burden of making sure Toru doesn't escape is on him. I don't want to nor do I think it's fair to place that burden on him, and I want to make it easier for him anyway I can. The situation I'm most worried about is this: I'm not home, and my nephew comes to my place. Toru likes to plant himself by the door. If he happens to be by the door when my nephew opens it, he can get out pretty easily. When he's outside he doesn't run from me, but if he runs from my nephew, my nephew might feel like he has to chase him down (I don't want him to be in this position).

Any strategies for making sure my nephew can enter without letting the cat out for these situations?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you didn't say how old your nephew is. I've always found that coming into the house isn't too risky, unless there is a cue to the cat. Like if you go out to do the garbage, the cat may que on the sound of the can being dragged and get ready to ambush you on door opening. However, cats can be very sensitive to cues you are about to leave, and might get "in position" without one noticing it, especially if one isn't used to it this happening, as your nephew won't be. So certainly there is some risks of the cat getting out as your nehphew comes in and then leaves for whatever reason.

Backing up the cat via foot stomps or other techniques generally works very well, at least for a while. Some cats can eventually become quite fearless though. I have a fearless cat now. There is absolutely nothing for it, other than to back him off via foot stomps, and show him that you are paying attention, exitting backwards while looking at him if he is too close. He lacks all fear at this point, and I've almost slammed the door on him, but he will back off to foot stomps if one is clearly looking at him and paying attention. Short of airlocking a cat (not opening the front door unless the cat is in a room with a closed door) there is really no other method. I mean, some folks will back the cat off some other way or throw a toy, but the basic concept is the same.

If a cat gets out, they should not be rewarded. That said, never chase after a cat, because if they learn you are going to do that, you will never ever catch them outside. Even a chubby cat can break your ankles with speed and fancy moves. No matter how athletic your nephew is, this applies to him as well. So to retrieve the cat, you only have two choices: (1) act totally nonchallant, even pet the cat until you are sure you can pick up; or (2) use a treat to lure the cat in. Using treats is less than ideal, you don't want to reward the behavior, but if its nighttime, you have to leave or for whatever other reason you can't be patient, you do what you have to do. If your nephew needs to use treats to get the cat back in, he needs to use treats. Its not necessarily any more of a reward for the cat then the cat having more outside time anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, you didn't say how old your nephew is. I've always found that coming into the house isn't too risky, unless there is a cue to the cat. Like if you go out to do the garbage, the cat may que on the sound of the can being dragged and get ready to ambush you on door opening. However, cats can be very sensitive to cues you are about to leave, and might get "in position" without one noticing it, especially if one isn't used to it this happening, as your nephew won't be. So certainly there is some risks of the cat getting out as your nehphew comes in and then leaves for whatever reason.

Backing up the cat via foot stomps or other techniques generally works very well, at least for a while. Some cats can eventually become quite fearless though. I have a fearless cat now. There is absolutely nothing for it, other than to back him off via foot stomps, and show him that you are paying attention, exitting backwards while looking at him if he is too close. He lacks all fear at this point, and I've almost slammed the door on him, but he will back off to foot stomps if one is clearly looking at him and paying attention. Short of airlocking a cat (not opening the front door unless the cat is in a room with a closed door) there is really no other method. I mean, some folks will back the cat off some other way or throw a toy, but the basic concept is the same.

If a cat gets out, they should not be rewarded. That said, never chase after a cat, because if they learn you are going to do that, you will never ever catch them outside. Even a chubby cat can break your ankles with speed and fancy moves. No matter how athletic your nephew is, this applies to him as well. So to retrieve the cat, you only have two choices: (1) act totally nonchallant, even pet the cat until you are sure you can pick up; or (2) use a treat to lure the cat in. Using treats is less than ideal, you don't want to reward the behavior, but if its nighttime, you have to leave or for whatever other reason you can't be patient, you do what you have to do. If your nephew needs to use treats to get the cat back in, he needs to use treats. Its not necessarily any more of a reward for the cat then the cat having more outside time anyway.
My nephew is 12. Appreciate the tips. I think the foot stomps might work, though Toru does tend to be fearless after a while, so it might be better if my nephew is the first one to try it. Opening the front door when entering is only an issue when he's parked himself by the door which he has a tendency to do. If that's the case the outer door steel door opening is his "clue" that the inner wood door is about to open.

I definitely don't chase after Toru when he gets out... I'll have to teach my nephew these strategies as well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I can help with that too, since my cat does wait by the door if he hears the trash, or at least he used too. For a while, I literally had a stick outside the door when he was cuing on the sound of the trash can. Broom or something would work too. I would crack the door, stick the stick inside and move it about a little, clack in on the floor, and carefully go in. Totally ridiculous, but it worked! Alternatively, one can open the door a tad and slam in closed, doing that 3-4 times in rapid succession, then carefully enter. Or one can crack the door, stomp, stick the leg in, and stomp some more, to back the cat up a bit and keep the cat from darting.

As that article states, door darters are confident cats, and making the door a little scary won't affect them overall even a little bit. I'm sure the creation of a positive ritual strategy discussed in the article probably works too but I'd be nervous that one would have to do that forever! If one is really vigilant for a while with something like the foot stomping, the behavior tends to vanish or decrease (although it can come right back with a vengence if they do have an escape!)

Last edited:

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I can help with that too, since my cat does wait by the door if he hears the trash, or at least he used too. For a while, I literally had a stick outside the door when he was cuing on the sound of the trash can. Broom or something would work too. I would crack the door, stick the stick inside and move it about a little, clack in on the floor, and carefully go in. Totally ridiculous, but it worked! Alternatively, one can open the door a tad and slam in closed, doing that 3-4 times in rapid succession, then carefully enter. Or one can crack the door, stomp, stick the leg in, and stomp some more, to back the cat up a bit and keep the cat from darting.
Thanks, I will definitely try this!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried taking him out on a harness for walks? I have a Cat that will try to get outside, but if I take her out for a walk every couple days she's fine.

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried taking him out on a harness for walks? I have a Cat that will try to get outside, but if I take her out for a walk every couple days she's fine.
I've tried to harness train him, so far no luck, but maybe I'll give it another shot.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The scenario is this: I live alone with a wonderful indoor Russian Blue mix named Toru. Well, I want him to be indoor. He wants to be an outdoor cat. I've decided it's best for him to be an indoor cat for various reasons.

As long as I'm home I can supervise the door openings and make sure Toru doesn't escape or that I bring him back inside after a quick outdoor adventure (sometimes I'll let him explore for a couple of minutes... but I'm nervous he can get away from me anytime he decides to so I don't let it happen long. It's possible me letting him explore on these occasions is making him want to go out more, so maybe I need to stop that.

The new scenario is this: My nephew is starting a new school next fall and it's closer to my house than my sister's, so he'll be coming to my place after school. As long as I'm home all is well, but if I happen to be home and my nephew must enter alone, the burden of making sure Toru doesn't escape is on him. I don't want to nor do I think it's fair to place that burden on him, and I want to make it easier for him anyway I can. The situation I'm most worried about is this: I'm not home, and my nephew comes to my place. Toru likes to plant himself by the door. If he happens to be by the door when my nephew opens it, he can get out pretty easily. When he's outside he doesn't run from me, but if he runs from my nephew, my nephew might feel like he has to chase him down (I don't want him to be in this position).

Any strategies for making sure my nephew can enter without letting the cat out for these situations?
just lock him into a safe room with water food litter box access on the days you cant be there when your nephew goes over then he can let him out once he gets there to let him out on the days he does make sure to leave a fan running on hot muggy days though