How can I help ferals survive midwestern winter?

trinity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm new here. I've had cats for a long time, but I've never been in a position where there were feral cats.

I recently move to a new house in August. The second day we were here, a beautiful black and white cat probably about 8 months old or so strolled into our garage. He was super thin, so I put out food. I've asked all the neighbors and I am certain he is a feral cat. He comes by every day for cuddles and food. But I cannot keep him as I have two cats and my husband simply wont let me keep him. We've agreed if it gets too cold, he can hang out in the garage.

Once I fed him, I discovered there are several feral cats, all much more skittish than the black & white one. I think there's at least four or five.
My yard backs up to the county with a creek and lots of woods. On a walk out there my husband and I discovered an old barn with animal tunnels underneath and some abandoned cars. Both of which are on other peoples property, but pretty far away from it. I'm fairly sure several, if not all the cats live around there. There's also an old shed and garage behind our house which also belongs to someone else, although no one lives there currently.

So my question is, what should I do? Will they survive winter in Kansas? I gets really, really cold.

And if they do, what happens when I move next August and can no longer feed them?

Will bring in the black and white one, having him neutered, and finding him a home "break his heart" like my husband says?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It won't break his heart, and he really needs to be trapped and neutered, and cared for. Even if he is rehomed to another barn, it would be a step up with how he is living now. There is likely a large colony of un neutered cats running that property or close to it. I would encourage you to trap and vet the cat and either re-release him under controlled circumstances or find a barn he can hang out in

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trinity

Hello,

I'm new here. I've had cats for a long time, but I've never been in a position where there were feral cats.

I recently move to a new house in August. The second day we were here, a beautiful black and white cat probably about 8 months old or so strolled into our garage. He was super thin, so I put out food. I've asked all the neighbors and I am certain he is a feral cat. He comes by every day for cuddles and food. But I cannot keep him as I have two cats and my husband simply wont let me keep him. We've agreed if it gets too cold, he can hang out in the garage.

Once I fed him, I discovered there are several feral cats, all much more skittish than the black & white one. I think there's at least four or five.
My yard backs up to the county with a creek and lots of woods. On a walk out there my husband and I discovered an old barn with animal tunnels underneath and some abandoned cars. Both of which are on other peoples property, but pretty far away from it. I'm fairly sure several, if not all the cats live around there. There's also an old shed and garage behind our house which also belongs to someone else, although no one lives there currently.

So my question is, what should I do? Will they survive winter in Kansas? I gets really, really cold.

And if they do, what happens when I move next August and can no longer feed them?

Will bring in the black and white one, having him neutered, and finding him a home "break his heart" like my husband says?
Trinity....I would suggest contacting a TNR group to try to trap, neuter and return all these feral cats:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#ks

If you don't find a group on the list, send an email to Alley Cat Allies and they can connect you to someone who can assist you.

http://www.alleycat.org/contact.html

Here are some good articles on caring for feral cats during the winter:

http://www.petfinder.org/journalinde...cats/1.5.1.txt

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

Katie

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well first, get them fixed, I totally agree with the
others. Trap fix and release as many as you can.

And then, if you are worried about shelters - IndyFeral

http://www.indyferal.org/

sells a REALLY good affordable
cat shelter that is insulated for winter. With the help of an TNR
(which is CRITICAL to control population!) you could try purchasing
and putting out some?

They cost 30 dollars for 2 and each can
hold 2/3 cats...

Oh, and IndyFeral has good tips on managing ferals...

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you were staying you could set up good shelters, but if you will be leaving in a year, it may be easier to TNR (trap, neuter, release) the kitties. The cuddly boy can possibly find a home. Contact the links given, and see if you can get help.

My vet speuters (spays/neuters) feral cats for $25 with an appointment. You can also get it done for $15 each at a feral cat clinic which runs monthly all summer. If there is someone nearby doing TNR, they will take the nice boy into a home to foster him and see if he will make a housecat. If he is unhappy in a house, they will do their best to find him a good farm to live at. That would be safer than just out on his own. 10 months old is still pretty young. If he depends on you for food for a year, then you leave, he will have a hard time.

Best of luck. Thank you for caring for these kitties. Keep us posted on the outcome!