How Can I Help Calm My Cat Down

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby is an indoor cat but goes outside on a harness. Since we moved house there is a ginger cat that comes in the garden, comes up to the window and stares at my cat. She goes into full territorial mode, scratching at the glass, hitting it, hissing, screaming, growling. The other cat just sits and stares. I banged in the glass it make it go away and then it came back!! Anyway, I’m running out of ideas to get rid of the other cat but I really need help to calm my cat down after it happens. Any ideas?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
How about an outdoor sprinkler? Or you could try blocking the lower part of the window and make up for the missing scenery by putting a bird feeder up high.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a neighborhood cat come by and attack the window, disturbing our indoor only cats. I would stare unflinchingly at her directly (Myrtle - she was very people friendly and I felt kind of guilty but she was making our integration with Olive much more difficult). I’d also go outside and sternly say “no” and stare at her. I was lucky, she got the message and we haven’t seen her in a little while.

I’ve heard of putting out citrus scented sprays (non-toxic of course), which is a deterrent to some cats. And susanm9006 susanm9006 had a good idea with a sprinkler, there are some motion activated ones that may be good. Other than that I don’t have good ideas, I think I got lucky. Hopefully you find something that works!

As for calming them down, Feliway spray or a calming collar is good for general anxiety.