How Can I Get My Cat's Inner Kitten Come Out

Joealexie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a hyper energetic kitten, unfortunately she passed away. Now I'm so use to playing with a high energy Kitten. I have a second cat (5 year old) but she is so mellow . I tried using the fish pole toy but she just lays there and watches me swing it, or he just to lazy to be active. She'll play for a few minutes and lose interest on the toy. I got so use to the kitten's high energy for playing, that I find myself bored. I know my older cat is a lap cat but how can get her to be more playful?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing in different rooms helps. Having a toy that drags around you can be fun. Toy rotation is a must. I got my boys a cat cube to get up & down their cat tree easier. I have found they love hunting toys through the peep holes (especially after I removed those annoying pompom balls.) You could make a cat cube for cat rather cheaply by cutting up a card board box.

MidWest Curious Cube for Cats, Brown Suede

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Different cats have different preferences for play; a toy that my Charlie likes might be ignored by your cat and vice versa. In addition to toy rotation that Danteshuman expertly mentioned, you do have to experiment around with different fish pole toys to see what your cat really likes best. Also the style of play is important; some cats prefer chasing a toy that is being slid on the ground around the roomwhile others prefer leaping and pouncing at a toy that is being swung through the air. There are also various automatic cat toys that you can try. Another way you can get your cat some more exercise is by setting up food puzzles.

miasa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fish pole toys are the best toys because it enables a simulation of a real hunt. So your cat's hunting instinct is satisfied along with the required daily physical activity. Hunting-wise, this is as best as it can get indoors really. And also this is the reason why most cats can be lured by a fish pole toy that suits their liking and that is handled correctly.
There are poles with interchangeable prey objects. If you prefer one of them you can try different prey objects without buying a new pole every time. OR you can also make the prey objects yourself very easily. A small, brown piece of chocolate paper that is folded several times to a triangular shape made the best "prey animal" for my cat (probably because it looks kind of similar to an insect). My advice: Try objects that resemble a cat's natural preys in shape&size&colour. And first, start with small objects that your cat won't find intimidating.
The other important issue about fish pole hunting is how you handle the pole. Don't forget that this is more hunt than play for your cat's little brain, so try to imitate a real prey animal that takes cover, flees, then stops, takes cover again and flees again...
Here you can find a booklet about this topic written by an expert that I downloaded from a cat toy manufacturer's website.

PS: If your cat is used to a passive life for a long time getting her on her feet may take some time. Just keep patiently stimulating her hunting instinct every way that you can...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Fish pole toys are the best toys because it enables a simulation of a real hunt. So your cat's hunting instinct is satisfied along with the required daily physical activity. Hunting-wise, this is as best as it can get indoors really. And also this is the reason why most cats can be lured by a fish pole toy that suits their liking and that is handled correctly.
There are poles with interchangeable prey objects. If you prefer one of them you can try different prey objects without buying a new pole every time. OR you can also make the prey objects yourself very easily. A small, brown piece of chocolate paper that is folded several times to a triangular shape made the best "prey animal" for my cat (probably because it looks kind of similar to an insect). My advice: Try objects that resemble a cat's natural preys in shape&size&colour. And first, start with small objects that your cat won't find intimidating.
The other important issue about fish pole hunting is how you handle the pole. Don't forget that this is more hunt than play for your cat's little brain, so try to imitate a real prey animal that takes cover, flees, then stops, takes cover again and flees again...
Here you can find a booklet about this topic written by an expert that I downloaded from a cat toy manufacturer's website.

PS: If your cat is used to a passive life for a long time getting her on her feet may take some time. Just keep patiently stimulating her hunting instinct every way that you can...
Great advice, Miasa! Welcome to TCS!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget the power of curling ribbon. Every time Dante hears me curl it he comes to investigate. I just tie it very securely to a toy so they can't swallow it.