How can I do a safe introduction without a 'safe room'

4rescuedkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I really need your help. I picked up a young molly yesterday after she decided I am her human and would not leave my car alone. It was either leave her there to get run over, or bring her home...so you can guess what happened.

The issue I have now is that I live in a small apartment and already have 3 other cats who live with me. My 2 toms tolerate each other although they still get scrappy with each other sometimes. I have another molly which stays in her own room because she really does not get along with anybody on four legs... I just don't have the space for a safe room. She's currently stashed in my bathroom, but my older tom wants in because he usually sleeps with me at night and I've had to lock him out of the bedroom since he knows how to open the bathroom door.

Please help!

Thanks!

Cheers,

4rescued kitties

(Btw, if you're wondering...one of the 4 kitties from my name passed away just over a month ago (
)...so the name still fits with this new molly.)

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any way for you to stop him from opening that door? Like maybe putting a chair in front of it or some thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4rescuedkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just about has opposable thumbs... Naughty cat. He can open just about any door in the apt that doesn't have a door knob on it, i.e., sliding and bi-fold doors. It was already a mess trying to introduce my younger tom to him, which is why I suspect they hiss at each other all the time

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Tanner (who's still at my moms) is the same. Can open all types of doors. Do you a walk in closet or anything. I kept Luna in mine for a few days. It's not so much smaller than my bathroom and I thought she would like the carpet better than the tile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4rescuedkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No such luck...I barely have enough storage space for my husband's and my stuff in the small storeroom we have. Definitely not safe for Miss Kitty. She seems to have settled in very nicely and has started venturing into the Master bedroom (the bathroom is adjoining to it). Still succeeded in keeping my tomcat out although it is like playing spy vs spy...he comes RUNNING as soon as he hears the bedroom door open....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this new kitty.  Have you taken her to the vet yet to be sure she is free of disease and illness before allowing your other cats to visit with her?  Also what about spaying/neutering?  Did you check to see if she is possibly microchipped and belongs to someone? 

I would definitely keep her in the bathroom alone until you can get her to the vet.  Are you boys neutered?  You definitely do not want a pregnant kitty on your hands!  I would be sure to put a chair or something sturdy in front of the door to keep your other cats out.  If needed you could get a large dog cage to keep her in and then keep it covered.