How can I determine coat-type in a young kitten?

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may seem a silly question, but I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how to determine whether my new kitten is a DSH, a DMH, or a DLH. I know it may be difficult to tell whether he'll be a medium-haired or long-haired cat, but how do I know whether his cute fluff is just his kitten coat or if I should expect having a longer-haired kitty? I don't mind either way though I do secretly hope he does remain either medium or long-haired as they are just the cutest. But, as long as he is happy and healthy, I'm happy and nothing will take away the love I have for him

Here is a picture of baby Finnegan:

In the picture, he is somewhere between 7 and 9 weeks old (the vet's calling him 8 weeks old). The pic was taken on Thanksgiving. He does have quite a bit of fluff and what appears to be some sort of undercoat on him. His fur is a different texture than my DMH, Cassidy, but it does have some of the same qualities -- some very slight waviness around the neck and underside and, most obviously, the length. His sibling definitely appears to be more of a DSH as he is far more sleek than fluffy, but is it likely that his coat will blow out and he'll become a DSH? In your expert (and non-expert too
) opinions, what do you think?

Like I said, either way, I'll love him. I mean, seriously...who couldn't?!

Thank you all in advance.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some will probably disagree, but I prefer either short hair or long hair - no such thing as medium or semi long.

Looks long haired to me.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call Blossom DMH because it isn't as long as the persian I had many years ago. I would call this kitty the same.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically there are only long or short hair. If you go by the breeds in the show rings, you will never have cats labeled as a "medium" haired cat even if they look that way. Its something that is used for moggies recently.

The breeds that would fall into the medium hair (but ARE considered a long hair) are: Balinese (longhair Siamese), Turkish Angora, Cymric (longhair Manx), and a few others I can't think of right now.

These cats don't look like the longhair Persians with a lot of coat, but are still longhair cats.

With domestics its hard to tell. I've had shorthair barn cats that wound up being longhair when older and vice versa. So you really don't know what they will wind up being till around 5-6 months old to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I went ahead and asked this question because this topic has been interesting. I was unaware that there was no such distinction as a medium-haired cat. I've always called my Cassidy a DMH/DLH, but I suppose I'll drop the DMH and just label her as a domestic long-haired cat.

I will love Finnegan no matter what his fur length, but I do hope he remains fluffy as that is my preference in kitties (though I only have one other DLH -- the rest are short-haired). I tend to think the longer coats are more attractive, but he's so cute that it doesn't matter what length his hair is. Plus, the little bugger has already stolen my heart

If I were to guess his adult coat length based on that of his half-siblings (same mother, but from another litter), I'd say that he will probably turn out DLH. The only other kitten to survive from his litter already appears short-haired. He is much more sleek than Finn is. And, while I don't know who the father is, there are a number of longer-haired cats in my aunt and uncle's outdoor colony (I did not breed and the outdoor cats are not mine -- just an FYI). But, like I said, this was purely just to see what others thought. Whether he's short or long-haired would never be a deal breaker.

I appreciate the quick responses and the info. I learn something new here at TCS every day!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he winds up with a little longer hair, it won't be quite as much grooming, but I would advise you to comb him several times a week till you know how matted he coat might get. If your comb now and get him used to it, you won't have a lot of problems if his coat is the type to mat easily

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had really fluffy kittens I thought would be longhairs but they turned out to be shorthaired adults with very thick/plush (but short) coats.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper looked just like that at that age, she has long hair now at 7 months but it is a single coat, so doesn't appear fluffy--other than her tail.

Leslie