How big will my cat be?

SchrodingerCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1690271476668.jpeg

1690272435175.png

1690274200852.jpeg

I'm curious how big do you think Cheshire will turn out to be? He just turned 16 weeks old in the first photo (taken today). The two other photos were taken a couple days earlier. He is soooo long! And he has really long legs too. The shelter originally told me he would most likely be a small cat, like a Russian Blue. When we did a checkup with the vet tech a month ago, the tech also said he probably will be small, maybe <10 lbs. He was 3.2 lbs at 12 weeks. But I feel like he is growing so fast in the past month and becoming significantly heavier, so I'm thinking he might actually be big. He has one final booster at the vet this Friday and I will get an updated weight. He will be loved and cared for regardless how big he turns out, although I really do hope he won't end up being a Maine Coon size cat! He has a really good appetite.

Also, how would you describe him? The shelter listed him as a blue tabby. Then our vet recorded him as blue and white. I think he's a gray tuxedo? Actually, I'm not sure what is the difference between blue and gray and maltese?

I'm curious what people think of the cat breed DNA tests? Like Basepaws or Wisdom Panel? I'm not sure how much info it would give, since most cat breeds haven't been established as long as dog breeds. He is probably also some super mutt, since his two brothers I saw at the shelter, one was a black shorthair, and the other was a black and white medium hair. Not much of his history is known, other than a person found a litter of kittens in his backyard and called the shelter to help. His face seems quite long from the side view, I've been wondering if he has some oriental in him, but he doesn't look oriental from the front view. I'm also curious if he has any Maine Coon or Savannah ancestry at all since he has such long legs and long body. 😂

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he is grey and white (or blue and white). You may call this pattern for tuxedo....

I think he is solid, not tabby, but he probably has visible ghost markings. That is why they thought he was a tabby.
These ghost markings will tend to be less visible with age.

Pretty guy!

(ps. He may have some Oriental or Siamese Ancestry....

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say how big he will be, but most cats are roughly 1 lb per month old, so if he is around 4 months then just over 4 lbs sounds normal and on track for a 8-12lb cat. They do the most growing in the first 6 months, so it's not uncommon for him to have growth spurs still. By the time he is 6 month, assuming he is at a healthy weight, he will likely be roughly 3/4 or so of his adult weight so that should give you a better idea.

As for the DNA tests, those are really more just for fun in terms of telling you what breed. They tell you want breeds your cat is most similar to, and can narrow it down to breeds from a specific region like Western (from Europe and the Americas), Eastern (from Asia), Persian (Persian and related cats), and Exotic (hybrids and Egyptian Mau), but they can't yet tell you for sure what breeds are actually in your cat like the ones for dogs. They can be useful if you want to know genetic health for the cat though, since they can show if your cat is carrying any markers for genetic issues.