How big will he get?

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To start off with, I don't know if this is in the right thread, but here goes. Our house has six cats; Rose, Ra, Slipper, Spot, Asia, and Princess, and Ra is the (big) baby of the thread.

I spend a lot of time with the cats, and I've literally known five of them (including Ra) since the day they were born (and yes, they have all  been fixed now. Yay me!). Now, Ra has always been larger than his siblings--and I wouldn't have called any of them small. Seriously, I saw some kittens at the shelter that were older  than our babies when I went to get spaying information, and our kittens were twice their size--before  opening their eyes--but I digress. Like I said, Ra has always been the largest of the cats and I didn't realize how big he was getting until he reached up to the counter today, firmly placing his two front paws on it, and I saw that he was leaning at an angle. He was almost at a forty-five degree angle and could still reach the top of the counter (which is about 35 inches off the floor, give or take a little). 

Sorry. Still in a little bit of shock; I hadn't realized he was getting so big. Thing is, he was a year old in February, and he's clearly still growing. How big is he going to get?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

To start off with, I don't know if this is in the right thread, but here goes. Our house has six cats; Rose, Ra, Slipper, Spot, Asia, and Princess, and Ra is the (big) baby of the thread.

I spend a lot of time with the cats, and I've literally known five of them (including Ra) since the day they were born (and yes, they have all  been fixed now. Yay me!). Now, Ra has always been larger than his siblings--and I wouldn't have called any of them small. Seriously, I saw some kittens at the shelter that were older  than our babies when I went to get spaying information, and our kittens were twice their size--before  opening their eyes--but I digress. Like I said, Ra has always been the largest of the cats and I didn't realize how big he was getting until he reached up to the counter today, firmly placing his two front paws on it, and I saw that he was leaning at an angle. He was almost at a forty-five degree angle and could still reach the top of the counter (which is about 35 inches off the floor, give or take a little). 

Sorry. Still in a little bit of shock; I hadn't realized he was getting so big. Thing is, he was a year old in February, and he's clearly still growing. How big is he going to get?
Luck he is no human.  What a tailor costs you would have to pay?   And the handmade shoemaker-shoes!

We may presume your cat children have as near ancestor one or more of the big grown breeds - Maine coon, Norwegian, possibly the Siberian.  And Ray got most of these Large Grow Gene. These breeds grows at least till they are two years, often even 3... So they do grow longer time than the most.

I would presume the most of the lengh spurt is already done, but I cant swear on anything.  Such is in part individual.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Luck he is no human.  What a tailor costs you would have to pay?   And the handmade shoemaker-shoes!

We may presume your cat children have as near ancestor one or more of the big grown breeds - Maine coon, Norwegian, possibly the Siberian.  And Ray got most of these Large Grow Gene. These breeds grows at least till they are two years, often even 3... So they do grow longer time than the most.

I would presume the most of the lengh spurt is already done, but I cant swear on anything.  Such is in part individual.
It's only Ra that's still growing. The others have stopped, and Asia is about Rose's size (although a little larger). Do I need to get him a dog food bowl (since they're larger) for his food, or will he still be able to eat out of the same bowl he's been eating from since he could eat dry food (and after I managed to fix his disorder of inhaling food until he choked)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After that cat breed quiz said I was a ragdoll cat I looked them up--and they kind of describe Ra. Maybe his father's a ragdoll? (His mother is an American Shorthair. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

After that cat breed quiz said I was a ragdoll cat I looked them up--and they kind of describe Ra. Maybe his father's a ragdoll? (His mother is an American Shorthair. 
Some ragdolls may be quite big too.  But as he is a mix, he may have had both, one grandfather a biggie, and he got the grand grow gene, the other grandfather a Ragdoll, and he got much of the behave like a ragdoll genes...

Re the food bowl - I really dont know,  I have no personal experience of that big cats.  Just this experience of "smallish" Norwegians, whom were visibly bigger than most cats - including mine residents.

You will see by yourself.

But if you wish, have this question in the Care and Grooming forum - "will my big growing cat need food bowls for dogs?"