how big are children's Benadryl tabs?

stacia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet has suggested my cat Simon get 12.5 mg of Benadryl for allergies. He won't take half a human pill because he can taste it (probably because it's been cut in half) and he just drools it out. But if the children's tabs are pretty large, he won't be able to take that either, so I thought I'd ask here before buying some.

Simon is very very picky about tastes. He won't even touch the expensive Allerderm Efa-Z the vet also gave us. About once a week he gets an asthma-like cough that the vet said could get worse if the allergies aren't under control, but since he won't take either Allerderm or Benadryl, I'm pretty worried.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend using the dye-free, flavor-free liquid Benedryl. It's easier to get a liquid into most cats, and it's easier to measure out the amount you need, rather than splitting pills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'll try the flavor free liquid, I'm not sure those flavored chewables would work.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The chewables are NASTY. I'd rather have an allergic reaction than take them. My son likes them though, but he's 7 so what does he know, lol.

We had a hard time getting Molly
(Paul's 17 year old dog) to take them. Even in cheese she'd sometimes spit them out. Luckily Maude
wouldn't eat them since we would sometimes only notice when we found one of the floor(Molly was sneaky at times, we'd think she had ate it only to find it on the floor.) Of course Maude weighed more than Molly so it wouldn't have killed her or prolly even hurt her, but it didn't do Molly any good if Maude would have ate it or if she didn't take it.

I'd have to watch Attitude and Nuts since Nuts will eat just about anything, especially if it remotely smells like a pill pocket.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to try pill pockets, too, but I can't find them anywhere in town. The more I hear about children's Benadryl, the grosser it sounds! LOL

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use generic Claritin, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 10mg tablet. It dissolves in water, so I add it to my girls' wet food, add a bit of water and let the tablet dissolve. Then I mix it all together and feed.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I give any of my kitties Benadryl I use a half of the adult kind and crush it until it's a powder using a pill crusher (you can get them at Walgreens and online. I think they're a must for any pet owner). Then I just mix it in with some tasty canned food like Fancy Feast or mix it up with some nutrical or hairball gel that tastes good and squirt the mix into the kitties mouth with a syringe. I've never had either fail even with the picky ones. At least not with Benadryl that doesn't taste that bad. It's not like Metronidazole that you can't mask with anything.
If you don't have a pill crusher you can put the pill between two knapkins and crush it with a hammer.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also crush tablets between two spoons. Just rest them inside each other with the handles facing opposite directions, then squeeze them together.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a big fan of using gelcaps for small and halved pills. We get them at health food stores, or in the health food/vitamin section of some of the grocery stores. They are tasteless and go down pretty easily. With all pills, make sure you follow them with a little water or food.