How bad is cheese and dairy for cats?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard it can cause urinary issues.

Yes I admit it once a week my cat gets 1 or 2 tiny tibidts of cheese .. temptation treat size tiny bit of sliced cheese. If it is bad for him I will stop.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats get goats milk once or twice a week, and sometimes low fat cheese as treats. It's not a daily thing, and I have not noticed any problems in doing so.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it causing uti unless its unpasturized or contaminated. Fortunatly here it is against federal law to sell, distrubute, deliver, or resell unpastirized milk of cows, goats, sheep etc.

Now digestive issues yes I have heard of it causing digestive issues. Like diahreeah and vomiting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No runs of anything but that is why I only give him a tiny bit. Every time I eat cheesy toast he gets all sniffy and begs.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats basically develop lactose intolerance when they get older. Milk based products will give them the same effect of humans who are lactose intolerant of general digestive related issues because their bodies can't properly process the lactose. The degree of impact will vary depending on the cat since each will have a slightly different reaction. But also the lactose content of the product in question will effect how much of a reaction they have. Not all dairy products have the same lactose content, milk has more than cheese and different cheeses will have different amounts.

TLDR, dairy products will upset any cats tummy but the amount it impacts them will vary by cats and vary depending on what they are eating.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree with the above, cheese,(not fresh cheese, store bought is fine) cottage cheese, cream, whipped cream (sugar free) and butter have very small amounts of lactose, which is what causes stomach upset in those who are lactose intolerant. As long as you aren't giving huge amounts there shouldn't be any problems. I give my cats cheese when I make tacos (which is pretty often) and butter when I make toast. The butter can give them softer stools, that is why I do it, the oils,etc. prevent constipation and hairballs. Just don't go overboard. I give about a teaspoon a few times a week.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My nutrition veterinarian Dr. Lisa Weeth, DVM, DACVN said cheese was ok. I give my cat 1/8 of a piece of organici cheddar or organic jack cheese (hard cheeses) only 10 calories or a tiny half a thumbnail sized taste of cream cheese most days and she is fine. Loves it and so do I and I’m the one allergic to milk!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree with the above, cheese,(not fresh cheese, store bought is fine) cottage cheese, cream, whipped cream (sugar free) and butter have very small amounts of lactose, which is what causes stomach upset in those who are lactose intolerant. As long as you aren't giving huge amounts there shouldn't be any problems. I give my cats cheese when I make tacos (which is pretty often) and butter when I make toast. The butter can give them softer stools, that is why I do it, the oils,etc. prevent constipation and hairballs. Just don't go overboard. I give about a teaspoon a few times a week.
Yes to cheese! When my husband grates cheese he usually lets a few shreds fall on the floor for Ireland, a.k.a. The Cheese Shark. She specializes in Parmesan.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm I don't know anything about cheese or dairy causing cats urinary issues. But I think in moderation, it's ok for an occasional treat. I found out at the end of my cat Amber's life that she LOVED cottage cheese. I wish I'd known sooner and I could've treated her to it! Even so, I always let her have a few very tiny sips of milk or yogurt or a wee bit of cheese from time to time. The cat I had before her, Sidney, got her hyperthyroid pills hidden in a little yogurt. At the end of the day, the cheese/dairy is definitely not what killed them. A little every now and then is just fine.