How active is your cat?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. Kitty is going to be 9 years old in december, shes around 14 lbs. Elsa is a street cat, but shes younger than Kitty. Shes around 9 lbs.

I see Elsa around the house throughout the day. Kitty is always in her bed. I see her being most active 2 hours before breakfast, dinner, and her snack time. She will climb the stairs and beg at my door. In the afternoon she usually play fights with Elsa.

Is it normal for her to always be in bed the rest of the day? Like i said, she can run up and down the stairs and play fight. Just dont know how much cats should sleep. I think im just worrying because i am home all day now. LOL

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats sleep a lot. One thing you can do is get her moving with a laser or wand toy. My cat is 17 and goes for walks on her harness, climbs things, stalks and plays with her toys, and flies through the house like a banshee, etc. She can't hear anymore and her pupils are always dilated but that doesn't stop her. She is an oddball though.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh also you could weigh her along with trying to increase her activity level and see if she is exercising enough.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought was also that Kitty was perhaps overweight. Not knowing what breed she is, I can't say whether she needs to do more exercise and less sleeping!

If that's not the case, then don’t worry – it’s a well-known fact that cats spend most of their lives asleep. Of course, if she was not eating or was being bullied or mistreated by other animals or children, then it would be a different story. But I don’t think that’s Kitty’s problem.

My daughter has just acquired a new male cat – he was living with two other cats who attacked him regularly. When a new baby (human) appeared on the scene, things got worse and he refused (or was too frightened) to use the litter box. Since being adopted by my daughter he spends all night sleeping in bed with her (she works in a pharmacy and has to work in spite of corona) and most of the day in the same bed sleeping with her husband (he works nights as an intensive-care male nurse). The poor cat is sadly perplexed when they have a few days off and no-one comes to bed during the day.

Needless to say the cat has no more problems using his litterbox but sometimes needs some exercise so running up and down the stairs soon leaves him ready for some more beauty sleep.

I often wondered how my cats managed to stay outside for hours. How did they manage to stay awake for so long? Indoors they would have slept from one mealtime till the next.

Now I only have indoor cats and although they move from the bed to a sofa, to a chair to a desk, to a windowsill – they are asleep or dozing most of the time. But, apart from Emily - who's not quite as slim as she used to be - they are not overweight.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seniors tend to sleep more, my one girl didnt play much at all after 10 years old. So uh having kittens again was a huge reminder on how cray cray they are lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats sleep a lot. One thing you can do is get her moving with a laser or wand toy. My cat is 17 and goes for walks on her harness, climbs things, stalks and plays with her toys, and flies through the house like a banshee, etc. She can't hear anymore and her pupils are always dilated but that doesn't stop her. She is an oddball though.
Oh also you could weigh her along with trying to increase her activity level and see if she is exercising enough.
I try to exercise Kitty but she gets bored after a few days. She hates laser toys, and gets bored of wands very quickly. She'll play for a minute or two, and then lie down to play, and i cant coerce her to exercise too much. lol She prefers to chase Elsa.

My first thought was also that Kitty was perhaps overweight. Not knowing what breed she is, I can't say whether she needs to do more exercise and less sleeping!

If that's not the case, then don’t worry – it’s a well-known fact that cats spend most of their lives asleep. Of course, if she was not eating or was being bullied or mistreated by other animals or children, then it would be a different story. But I don’t think that’s Kitty’s problem.

My daughter has just acquired a new male cat – he was living with two other cats who attacked him regularly. When a new baby (human) appeared on the scene, things got worse and he refused (or was too frightened) to use the litter box. Since being adopted by my daughter he spends all night sleeping in bed with her (she works in a pharmacy and has to work in spite of corona) and most of the day in the same bed sleeping with her husband (he works nights as an intensive-care male nurse). The poor cat is sadly perplexed when they have a few days off and no-one comes to bed during the day.

Needless to say the cat has no more problems using his litterbox but sometimes needs some exercise so running up and down the stairs soon leaves him ready for some more beauty sleep.

I often wondered how my cats managed to stay outside for hours. How did they manage to stay awake for so long? Indoors they would have slept from one mealtime till the next.

Now I only have indoor cats and although they move from the bed to a sofa, to a chair to a desk, to a windowsill – they are asleep or dozing most of the time. But, apart from Emily - who's not quite as slim as she used to be - they are not overweight.

Yes, shes definitely overweight. I got her to lose a few ounces but im not sure what else to do. Her and elsa eat the same amount, i have them on microchip feeders. But Kitty is still a big girl, i think its because Elsa is so active. But no, Kitty isnt being mistreated, shes a friendly cat to people, and shes the one that chases Elsa to play. lol She eats and acts normally.

I think the outdoor cats do the same thing, sleep most of the day and walk around a bit. LOL

Im so happy your daughter was able to provide a peaceful home for a cat in need. Im sending positive energy to your daughter and her husband. :vibes::heartshape:They're doing a difficult job during a difficult time. I pray for good things for them both.

Seniors tend to sleep more, my one girl didnt play much at all after 10 years old. So uh having kittens again was a huge reminder on how cray cray they are lol.
Aww, i dont want to think of Kitty has a sister. She still seems so young. :sniffle:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well there is the problem. A 9lbs and a 14lbs cat should NOT be eating the same amount. They need individual servings. Canned is the easiest and healthiest way to do this. Then you have complete control and you know exactly what each cat is eating.