Houseplants and cats

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know any houseplants that are safe for cats? Obviously I don’t want my cats actively eating my plants but I really want some plants around my house. I’ve avoided getting them because I have three curious cats (plus a fourth that we’re sitting)who probably won’t hesitate to chomp a leaf or two.

I’ve read spider plants and ponytail palms are a couple that could be good. Any other suggestions? :)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like growing orchids at home. They’re very low-effort, imo, have beautiful blooms, and are safe for cats. Despite eating some of my other plants, Jum shows no interest in them, as well :> I would also recommend looking into succulents. There are some beautiful types around, and most are safe for cats (And most cats will avoid eating them anyway, because they don’t taste very nice haha). Here’s a quick review of which succulents to be a bit cautious about

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Spider plants, as you mentioned, are safe around cats. But, if they are not hanging up somewhere out of reach, it is highly likely your cats will munch on them. It is the only plant in my house that Feeby is even remotely interested in - and, if she can get to them, she will take some bites!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I think I’m going to go with a few types of peperomia, cacti, and maybe a spider plant!

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I bought three plants. A Boston fern, a Bella palm, and a zebra cactus. My cats have already started sniffing and nibbling so I splashed the plants with some heavily diluted apple cider vinegar to try and deter them lol

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like growing orchids at home. They’re very low-effort, imo, have beautiful blooms, and are safe for cats. Despite eating some of my other plants, Jum shows no interest in them, as well :> I would also recommend looking into succulents. There are some beautiful types around, and most are safe for cats (And most cats will avoid eating them anyway, because they don’t taste very nice haha). Here’s a quick review of which succulents to be a bit cautious about
just as I suspected, getting a type of cactus didn’t deter my cats at all lol. One of them took a chomp right out of the zebra cactus lol.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat grass and cat nip are safe plants :)

Fake plants are safe around pets unless you have a pet that chews on everything. Plastic plant parts can cause tummy issues. Paper plants are safer

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Artificial plants are great if you have cats. I only have one ivy that I keep up out of the reach of the kitties in my house.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats routinely eat houseplants. I had to give them up entirely. They'd eat the plants right down to the dirt!