House Of A Thousand Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
! I wish everyone would do just a fraction of what she does. If they did, we would already be a no kill nation.
~ Yes true. My home is a mini version . I have a big yard but many of the "cat farm" are free to come in & out. It's crazy ... ! :winkcat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My home is a mini version as well but outside here is very high risk. The human risk factor has been improved since I started this though. I had to laugh when she said there was no room in the house for her. Before I was able to establish a safe adoption practice and get all Spayed and neutered, I was beginning to consider sleeping in a tent! My cats runneth over.
My numbers are not high as they were when I had to ,hurriedly, pull cats in but I still wake up with a fur blanket.
UCLA just did a study about the “Crazy Cat Lady” stereotype. They found it to be unfounded. But we knew that.....;)
Finally, someone attempts to squash that term!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:I gave up on that. My dining room table is now under a giant cage in the room I redid for the cats! They love to get in the cage, on top of it and since the table is covered they use the space underneath as a cat cave! I’d be satisfied if they just quit using my phone for selfies!

JamesCalifornia

Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you have?
~ My golly it's hard to take a count - but pretty sure its at about 40 including the feral yard cats and the new kittens .
Can't prove it but I think the neighborrhood cats "talk" about my yard being the place to go ! :winkcat: :rolleyes3:´

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ My golly it's hard to take a count - but pretty sure its at about 40 including the feral yard cats and the new kittens .
Can't prove it but I think the neighborrhood cats "talk" about my yard being the place to go ! :winkcat: :rolleyes3:´
That is a lot of cats. The most I ever had was 22 cats. Eight inside and 14 outside feral. Now I can barely care for one cat.

JamesCalifornia

Top Cat
Purraise
That is a lot of cats. The most I ever had was 22 cats. Eight inside and 14 outside feral. Now I can barely care for one cat.
~ Yes it's faaar too many for any reasonable person. It borders on dysfunctional. I must find a reliable source to give some of my house happy cats a forever home. Not an easy task !
So sorry you are unable to care for a few more cats. Hope you are well and safe.
:hellocomputer:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The phrase “too many” resonated with me! Lol I had the task of trying to save over a hundred in a feral colony. I was overwhelmed at times. It becomes a race against time. That is how I found TCS. I was looking for information. After getting 32 adopted I started writing here to try and give others hope. If it helps any, I did find great homes for the majority. ( the rest are still safe here) It can be done. It took time and I started by bringing in the females first. Spaying and socializing as fast as possible! Trying to stop the steady influx of more kitties. There is that thing of cats telling each other about the good human though.......:catlove:
I think you send out some sort of positive vibe to them. ;) I no longer have any ferals on my land but somehow lost kitties still find me. I tried this :paperbag:. It didn’t work.

muffy muffy You helped a lot of kitties! We do what we can, as we can. I too hope you are well and safe. :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are still good people out there who love cats and will add one to their family. I asked everyone I knew and then moved on to everyone I met! Lol I have since found that there are some great groups out there that help. Wish I had known that sooner! Lol

JamesCalifornia

Top Cat
Purraise
There are still good people out there who love cats and will add one to their family. I asked everyone I knew and then moved on to everyone I met! Lol I have since found that there are some great groups out there that help. Wish I had known that sooner! Lol
~ Good advice. I will do the same. I have been told to be careful of "rescue" groups because all are not legitimate . :winkcat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very true. Sadly. I now make it a priority to work with locals that I know well and can verify all they do. One thing that helped me get started with that was just going on places like Petfinders and tracking the groups nearest me. I was able to get references from rescues about other rescues and by process of elimination was able to pinpoint the better groups. Time consuming but well worth making the contacts to benefit others. I find it most difficult to get older kitties adopted but I have been able to help get many kittens into homes for other rescuers. I require a signed contract with every person who adopts and updates. There are some wonderful contracts available online. I get references from the vet the adopting family uses as well. I found that pre arranging a vet visit or two helped me to keep track as well. There are lots of ways to help protect the kitties.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My home is a mini version as well but outside here is very high risk. The human risk factor has been improved since I started this though. I had to laugh when she said there was no room in the house for her. Before I was able to establish a safe adoption practice and get all Spayed and neutered, I was beginning to consider sleeping in a tent! My cats runneth over.
My numbers are not high as they were when I had to ,hurriedly, pull cats in but I still wake up with a fur blanket.
UCLA just did a study about the “Crazy Cat Lady” stereotype. They found it to be unfounded. But we knew that.....;)
Finally, someone attempts to squash that term!
SO glad to hear about the UCLA study. I HATE the term "crazy cat lady". You never hear someone called a "crazy dog person". More likely, they're called a "hero". Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and ALL animals. I just think there's a touch of misogyny when it comes to people's negative feelings about cats and their owners. Just my opinion.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO glad to hear about the UCLA study. I HATE the term "crazy cat lady". You never hear someone called a "crazy dog person". More likely, they're called a "hero". Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and ALL animals. I just think there's a touch of misogyny when it comes to people's negative feelings about cats and their owners. Just my opinion.
I agree! I can’t stand that term. I know some people who have “pets” of all kinds over do it but rescuers who work a lifetime at saving lives and changing laws to protect the innocent should never be labeled with a term like that. It’s not accurate and is usually used in a very negative way. My own Dad sent me a page from a website selling shirts. All the shirts had “funny” remarks about crazy cat ladies. I immediately explained to him why that sort of thing was highly inappropriate. My Dad had cared for a small feral colony some years back and I pointed out to him that he would have found being called crazy because he helped thise cats would have been offensive to him. He no longer thinks it’s funny. Not all cat references are “cute.” Bravo to UCLA. I take the business of rescuing very seriously. It’s a lot of hard work and should not be taken lightly. I did send my Dad the link to that video. He said he was exhausted just watching all the work involved and that lady deserves some kind of award for her work. Very true.