House Fire, Missing Cats, Bad Weather on the way

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, fellow rescuers! Seeking advice/suggestions for a fellow member who is reaching out to a lady whose house burned down. Of her 5 cats, 2 were located deceased, 2 escaped from firefighters' arms and 1 is missing. Although the house is a loss, the detached garage and a shed are still standing (I think damage, if any, is probably minimal). The owner spent the night with a friend in his small suv in the driveway but no sign of the cats. IMO, a strange car following the traumatic event is probably scaring the cats off. The location is in Indiana so cold temps are a real concern. The owner doesn't want animal control involved (not all shelters are no-kill & are already overfull and euth rates are high) so I think the TNR and private rescuers are better options. I was thinking setting up shelters is a must plus setting up feeding stations, just like trying to establish and manage a feral colony. What do you think?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is beyond tragic, your worst nightmare. Given the circumstances I think that providing shelters or involving rescue groups is probably your best bet. Feeding stations are a must. The remaining cats may be alive. Cats have returned after weeks from major disasters. Alley Cat Allies found several cats weeks after the CA fires and my cousin in FL who lost her house to a hurricane found the cat hiding in beach grass 2 weeks later.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd put food and water in the shed or garage, along with a bed made of a t-shirt the owner wore overnight (I assume she doesn't have any clothes left :(, so she probably doesn't have anything with her longer-term scent on it). Poor kitties must be so scared, but they'll try to go back to their home eventually. Any way to get web cams set up?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, fellow rescuers! Seeking advice/suggestions for a fellow member who is reaching out to a lady whose house burned down. Of her 5 cats, 2 were located deceased, 2 escaped from firefighters' arms and 1 is missing. Although the house is a loss, the detached garage and a shed are still standing (I think damage, if any, is probably minimal). The owner spent the night with a friend in his small suv in the driveway but no sign of the cats. IMO, a strange car following the traumatic event is probably scaring the cats off. The location is in Indiana so cold temps are a real concern. The owner doesn't want animal control involved (not all shelters are no-kill & are already overfull and euth rates are high) so I think the TNR and private rescuers are better options. I was thinking setting up shelters is a must plus setting up feeding stations, just like trying to establish and manage a feral colony. What do you think?
:redheartpump::crossfingers:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think if the cats have been outside and know the area they should cautiously return in a few days. I suppose that would be a good argument for indoor outdoor cats, they get to know the area and are not so easily lost. If they are indoor cats only it will take them longer to find their way. Everything will be a new and scarry experience so it will take time to adjust to that. They will likely be drawn to another house as that is what they know. Contact the neighbors and if you have pictures show them who to look for.
They can tolerate some cold but will be uncomfortable and might be drawn to heat sources which could be dangerous as they could get into car engines. This ridiculous cold that we are having here now is migrating east so it could get pretty bad out there. But even indoor cats grow winter coats so they will likely be able to handle some cold.
What the people could try is to get some medium size boxes with foam packaging. I am thinking something like a box from a big tool like a saw that was held in place with the foam. Cut a hole for an entrance with the foam still in place so there is an inside space they can fit into. I used one for a play house for kittens and they loved it. It won't take any time to set up and could be the perfect "cat trap".

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
W Willowy 's suggestions are excellent. There's a good chance that the cats will be hiding nearby, and will try to come home, even if home is no longer there. WHEN they are spotted, have the owner sit down on the ground with some of their favorite treats, call them, and wait very patiently. These cats are traumatized, and may well run, even from someone they know well.

Be sure to check with ALL area shelters on a regular basis. By phone if necessary, but in person whenever possible. Too often shelters are vastly overworked, and a cat can fall through the cracks.

A candle lit for this little family...feline and human!

00LitCandle.jpeg

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy 's suggestions are excellent. There's a good chance that the cats will be hiding nearby, and will try to come home, even if home is no longer there. WHEN they are spotted, have the owner sit down on the ground with some of their favorite treats, call them, and wait very patiently. These cats are traumatized, and may well run, even from someone they know well.

Be sure to check with ALL area shelters on a regular basis. By phone if necessary, but in person whenever possible. Too often shelters are vastly overworked, and a cat can fall through the cracks.

A candle lit for this little family...feline and human!

View attachment 311989
♥