Hot water

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel so horrible right now :(

i was making mac and cheese and was going to drain the pasta. My cat tripped me up and some of the hot water sloshed out of the pot. It landed on his back leg/thigh area. I don’t really see redness or anything like blisters. He licked the water off but didn’t hide or anything. Now he’s just laying next to me as usual.

Will he be okay? What should I watch for? I feel so bad :(((

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Burns and Scalds in Cats | PetMD

This might help you to decide how serious the burn is. To me, sloshed water is not as bad as having been doused or falling into the water, but you need to watch for any secondary swelling, blistering, or redness and will have to decide if he needs the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Burns and Scalds in Cats | PetMD

This might help you to decide how serious the burn is. To me, sloshed water is not as bad as having been doused or falling into the water, but you need to watch for any secondary swelling, blistering, or redness and will have to decide if he needs the vet.
It seems like it’s a first degree burn according to that. There’s no redness or blistering. I’ll keep an eye on it to be sure but hopefully it doesn’t develop further or anything

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you do if you spilled hot water on yourself?
Maybe put a cool compress on it until the pain starts to subside then have a look to see if more treatment is needed.

For a cat, its fur might give it some measure of protection. It depends on how much water got spilled.

I say to give your cat a few minutes to calm down then check the area where he got dowsed.
See if there is any pain when you try to touch him. Look for redness or blistering.

Chances are that your cat is okay... None the worse for the wear, as they say.

If you think you need to, apply a cool compress. No ice! No medicines or ointments! Just wet a clean cloth under the cold water faucet.

If there are blisters or broken skin, call a vet.

If it's just a little bit of redness, cool compress.

If it gets better on its own, you're good to go.

If anything happens that is out of the ordinary, call a vet.

Pretty much, you do for your cat what you would do for yourself if you got hit with hot water.
Just don't use any medicines or ointments without asking your vet, first.

Beyond that, your best cure is time. ;)

Sending Get-Well vibes! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What would you do if you spilled hot water on yourself?
Maybe put a cool compress on it until the pain starts to subside then have a look to see if more treatment is needed.

For a cat, its fur might give it some measure of protection. It depends on how much water got spilled.

I say to give your cat a few minutes to calm down then check the area where he got dowsed.
See if there is any pain when you try to touch him. Look for redness or blistering.

Chances are that your cat is okay... None the worse for the wear, as they say.

If you think you need to, apply a cool compress. No ice! No medicines or ointments! Just wet a clean cloth under the cold water faucet.

If there are blisters or broken skin, call a vet.

If it's just a little bit of redness, cool compress.

If it gets better on its own, you're good to go.

If anything happens that is out of the ordinary, call a vet.

Pretty much, you do for your cat what you would do for yourself if you got hit with hot water.
Just don't use any medicines or ointments without asking your vet, first.

Beyond that, your best cure is time. ;)

Sending Get-Well vibes! :vibes:
He’s been pretty calm since it happened, which I take as a good sign. He didn’t hide anywhere, just licked the water off. He didn’t get soaked, just a splash. I still don’t see any redness and definitely no blisters. I’ll continue to check periodically and be on the look out for anything unusual!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds good to me. :)

If there's no redness or anything your cat probably just got a bit of an "ouchie."
Just keep an eye on him and call the vet if you need to.

Here's to hoping your cat learned a lesson to stay out from under foot when you're cooking in the kitchen.

Our cat, Casper, knows to stay out of the way when I'm cooking in the kitchen. He got under foot a couple of times but I was able to give him "the boot" and make him get out of the way before any accidents happened. (A gentle nudge with the toe.)

After a while, he learned to stay out of the kitchen when things are going on.

Your guy will probably learn the same. :)