Hot Baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve always fed my kittens both kitten chow and wet kitten food. They need both. He would naturally be very thirsty if he was deprived of water for several hours. It’s unusual for a kitten to be diabetic.
I meant the salmon flavor as the dry salmon food is what started making him sick I think.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update called the vet said it could be a side effect of the antibiotics and nausea shot hold off on his antibiotics for today and see how he is of he doesn't improve in the next couple days or it gets worse bring him in for a blood test.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. He may just be recuperating and rehydrating himself after being sick. Meds can affect thirst also. See that he gets wet food. That should help his system too.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After work I let him out if his bed he seemed a bit perkier running around after a drink so I put him back to the pet carrier with some food around 7:30 he'd been up about an hour by then and was mostly sitting on the cardboard scratch pad he favors watching his brothers so anyway around 8:45-9pm I let him up again and he had once again wet the puppy pad to the point of it barely containing the pee but he had also had a semi solid Poo so I'm giving it one more day if by the time I go to work tomorrow at 1pm he is still wetting this much abd drinking like the waters going to vanish then I'm going to call the vet again. unfortunately with my medical issues of it is diabetes I will have to re-home him asap possibly to a rescue as I won't be able to afford to nor will I be able to physically care for him after surgery of he had to have daily meds.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What happens if you limit his water intake?

I’m wondering if he is drinking so much water because he can? That is — he’s discovered it’s available, fun, and maybe he’s bored. Could be nothing wrong with him other than simply drinking too much water.

Try removing the water bowl for periods of time and putting less water in it.

Is he getting enough wet food to eat? He may be drinking water to fill his tummy instead of eating food.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's eating currently, 2 cans of fancy feast kitten a day plus kitten kibble, abd he drinks a pot when I have hom out if his carrier which he's in when I can't monitor him like when I was at work during dinner and when his brothers started getting on his nerves after dinner and now over nightbi gave him some kibble and am getting ready to go to Bed all five boys are actually in carriers over night usually 2 in the small one and three in the big one right now I have them separated into two two and one i actually have 6 pet carriers in all but limited space so their stacked in my closet. Fingers crossed he dose better tomorrow

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he’s alone in the carrier overnight, give him a stuffed animal to snuggle with.

Yes, let’s hope he gets better!

C CarmiesMom

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he’s alone in the carrier overnight, give him a stuffed animal to snuggle with.

Yes, let’s hope he gets better!

C CarmiesMom
I did I tucked his favorite plush bunny he beats up in with him though it's now in the washer lol he hasn't been drinking or peeing as much today plus he was up running with his brothers I have just put him back in his carrier so I can head to work in 10 min and today unlike yesterday and the say before he is complaining loudly he wants up so that's a good sign were going to cut back to one can of kitten food a day and the rest kitten kibble as the can says I can per 3# body weight a day but he's much better but after 2 cans of kitten food he did have a semi loose stool which is why we're dialing it back thanks for listening to my fears and helping me with advice I have not given him any more of the antibiotics as it seemed to be something he is sensitive to. Will update again tomorrow.

IMG_2023-04-18-07-57-43-117~2.jpg

Sven^
IMG_2023-04-08-09-42-46-151~2.jpg
his brother Love the Hot Baby ^
IMG_2023-04-08-09-48-42-961~2.jpg
his brother Knight^
IMG_2023-04-08-09-41-53-504~2.jpg

His Twin Kristoff ^

Unfortunately the youngest of the five boys is just a black blur 🤣 😂🙄 he dosen't hold still long enough for the camera to focus.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that it's not good to start and stop a course of antibiotics.

The medicine kills bacteria gradually but faster than they can grow. When you stop the medicine, the bacteria have a chance to grow again. Then, when you start the medicine again, it doesn't start from the place it left off. It has to start from the beginning. By the time the meds 'catch up' to where they were, before, you might have used them all up before the infection has cleared. Now you're out of medicine but you still have a growing infection. Then, you face another visit to the doctor (or vet) and you'll have to pay for another prescription.

If you have treated a bacterial infection, multiple times, with the same antibiotic, you'll face the problem of resistance. Once the bacteria become resistant to the medicine, it won't work anymore. You'll have to use a different medicine. This time, it'll have to be stronger, you're more likely to have negative side effects, it'll take longer to kill off the infection and the medicine is likely to be even more expensive than before.

If you think it's important to stop taking antibiotics (or stop giving them to your cat) you need to call your doctor (or vet) first.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Though I agree with you that's not the case this time this was done with the Vet's knowledge and approval .

The antibiotics were a precaution because he had what the doctor assumed was discharge on his nose but I think was probably canned food residue because I had giving him abd adult cat can w/gravey the night before taking him in because he was not eating though he puked most of it back up. His lungs were clear, eyes clear, breathing fine, no fever, it was prescribed as an abundance of caution incase it wasn't just a food allergy the vet was the one who told me to stop the antibiotics yesterday and see if there was any improvement in his excessive urination.

As there was he said to stop the antibiotics and monitor him if he gets worse again give him the antibiotics they prescribed if not just put it up.

it's 7 pre filled syringes of antibiotics I never gave him a dose as the vet said to hold off on it untill I saw weather or not his thirst and urination improved he said Sven could have a sensitivity to the antibiotics.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today you would never know he was so sick he still pees Kore than I think he should but that's probably just me he didn't drink over much anymore and is back to his old self beating up his brothers getting on the dinning table and into pretty much anything and everything he shouldn't be lol, 😂🤣 even tried getting in the fridge last night.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_2023-04-22-09-02-59-945~2.jpg

I did it finally got a picture of the smallest of the bunch Bo.
I know you can't see it well but the thing that Maje a him stand out from Love and Knight is the fact that his middle toes on his back feet are white.