hosted kitty not getting along with other 3

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friend of mine works at a vet clinic and the other day she told me about a 9 year old declawed female name "Kali" (a calico) that had come in. Owners moved to Iraq semi-permanently to work in the oil fields. She asked if I would be interested in hosting her at my house with my other three cats while she looks for a new home for Kali.

I had reservations but agreed. I was worried my other three, a 3 year old female and two, 2 year old males, all fully clawed (“Moonbat”, “Ponce” and “Doodad”) would get jealous and attack and/or terrorize Kali.

Actually it is turning out to be the opposite. Specifically:

1.) Kali spend 80% of her time hiding behind my computer desk.
2.) Kali was scared of me for 4 days then warmed up to me and now wants attention from me constantly
3.) Kali is scared of my other three and GROWLS at them whenever she sees them. The other three are not being aggessive at ALL, they are just curious. They are respecting her growls and keeping there distance. This morning I did see Kali hiss and try to take a swipe at Moonbat when she edged up close to Kali to inspect her.

If things go as planned, I will only have Kali for a few more weeks (I would love to keep her, but FOUR cats is just too much). Looking for advice on what, if anything, I can do to promote harmony between Kali and my other three kitties (my “cat-sense” tells me maybe I should just do nothing -- leave them alone and Kali will eventually acclimate to and learn to tolerate the other cats).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably best to use the introduction techniques listed in the sticky at the top of the forum under the "Have a Behavior Problem? Look here first" thread.

He needs to be isolated in a small room (bathroom or spare bedroom if you have one) and given time to get used to the sounds, smells, and people of his new temporary home. Then, once he's comfy, you can reintroduce him to your cats.