Hospitalized Kitty Due To Lily Ingestion

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here.

Yesterday morning I woke up and found my sweet kitty Noodles with yellow stains all over his face, ears, paws, and some on his back. After looking around the house, I found the unfortunate culprit - a vase of flowers on the mantle that a family member brought in the house containing lilies. The yellow stains were pollen. I immediately called my SO who called the emergency vet and we loaded him up and rushed him there.

It’s been a really difficult and stressful 24 hours. As of right now, he’s doing okay and is showing no signs of illness and his blood work is looking okay (potassium and BUN are slightly low according to the vet but she said she’s not concerned and that this is likely from the IV fluids).

She says they will usually start showing symptoms by 48 hours and it would show in the bloodwork by then as well, so he is staying through tonight. I’m hoping we got him to the vet quick enough and that he will make a full recover. I miss my little guy so much and just want him back home.

Please keep Noodles in your thoughts today and tomorrow!

6D12AABE-2582-4CBD-806D-439FD6B4E4AF.jpeg

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww thats too bad he got a hold of it :( Now at least everyone in the house knows. Even breathing in the pollen released from the plant (and not actually chewing on the plant) is so dangerous to cats. My sister brought one home a month ago and I had to put it out in the garage until she got home from work to throw it away or keep it outside. Scary how toxic lilies are. Hope your baby will be ok.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, that is scary I hope he is ok. Good work in getting him to the vet ASAP

Do you know what type of Lily he got into ? some are worse than others. Hopefully the pollen was from one of the other flowers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no, that is scary I hope he is ok. Good work in getting him to the vet ASAP

Do you know what type of Lily he got into ? some are worse than others. Hopefully the pollen was from one of the other flowers.
Yes, it was a Stargazer Lily which I think is one of the more toxic ones. It was definitely from the lilies. The other flowers in the vase were roses and small filler flowers. When I touched the stamens on the lilies, it made the same yellow stains on me as it did on him.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m hoping we got him to the vet quick enough and that he will make a full recover.
That's what I believe and hope as well. I follow a few vet clinic accounts on Instagram and unfortunately toxic plants related issues come up quite often. They highlight how much difference it makes to take immediate action.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
How tragic! If this gives you hope we had the same exact thing happen to Gohan. I woke up with a cat that had a yello face. We called the vet right away, and ended up observing him at home based on their advice. He never showed any ill effects, so hopefully your guy is ok as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NOODLES IS HOME! We picked him up about an hour ago! Blood work was 100% normal, kidneys looked perfect, and he seems to be in perfect health. We’re monitoring him closely tonight and he’s going back for another blood panel in 24 hours just to make sure he’s fine. So happy to have him home! He’s currently under the bed grooming himself.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NOODLES IS HOME! We picked him up about an hour ago! Blood work was 100% normal, kidneys looked perfect, and he seems to be in perfect health. We’re monitoring him closely tonight and he’s going back for another blood panel in 24 hours just to make sure he’s fine. So happy to have him home! He’s currently under the bed grooming himself.
This is awesome news! :hyper::yess::cloud9:

You can now breath in deeply. It is such a relief I bet!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor guy is try to get the hospital stink off of him