Horse Contest!!!!! 100 Points For The Right Answer!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Saw them a long time ago when I was about 9. It was amazing!
Originally Posted by Kelicat

I saw them once as a teen, and Dh took me about 6 years ago to watch them.... just as great as I remember from so many years prior!
That's always been a dream of mine, to see the entire troop perform live. I've saw two of them in a traveling show that came thru town when I was a teen and of course on TV. But wow...to see them all at once would be wionderful!

Oooops! Think I hijacked the thread! Sorry!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

You got it!!!! My hint was going to be "both the parents are white"

Anyone want to explain why the baby is black and both parents and all lipizzaners are white (for the most part). For points?!!!!
Oooh, Ooh, I know!!!!

Most grey horses are born bay, black, or even chestnut\\sorrel because the coat still has it's 'pigmentation'. Contrary to some 'popular' belief, a grey horse doesn't have a roaning gene, which is why his 'points' don't stay colored.

In an unborn foal, there is an abundance of pigment in all pigment layers of its tender hide. While not all hair is rooted at the same depth, even the most shallowly rooted hairs will have an abundance of pigment. This explains why the grey foal is actually born black. These shallowly rooted hairs are located in the first pigment layers, which produce a lesser amount prior to the age of one year. Most of these are found around the eyes and ears, accounting for the first signs of greying. While the first three layers of the dermis (skin or hide) contain the skin pigment, it is the next four layers which determine the hair pigment. It is the fourth of these layers which has the first pigment available, thus it is the layer that continues to produce pigment throughout the horse's life.

In the aging process, the outer pigment layers begin producing less pigment, causing the pigment to recede. This process affects the layers of pigment, but the fourth pigment layer is the least affected as it is the deepest layer. The pigment glands in the other three layers cease to function by the time the horse is ten or twelve years old. And as the fluid content of these pigment layers recede, a grey horse will develop the toughest hide of any horse, regardless of color.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Until tomorrow.......I have a question for those with large breed horses or experience with large breeds. I've noticed that many large breed horses/draft horses have hooves like these. Is it because they are so heavy, difficult to trim, or not taken care of very well? Or maybe from not being shod and used as a carriage horse or rode regularly? I would rather not jump to conclusions when I see a horse like this in person.
That horse's feet, and I don't "Think" I am jumping to conclusions here, are just not taken care of often enough. Drafties may have large feet, but often they a more 'healthy' than most riding horses; they have to be in order to hold all that weight! When they look like this one's (chipped, cracked, split)it is likely due to improper hoof care; this one's shoes CLEARLY need changing, or resetting, as well.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Isn't it amazing how such a cute little dark foal, can grow into such a gorgeous, muscular, athletic beauty! Lippizan's are so awesome.
Anyone seen them perform?
I have seen them on several occasions over the years...

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Isn't it amazing how such a cute little dark foal, can grow into such a gorgeous, muscular, athletic beauty! Lippizan's are so awesome.
Anyone seen them perform?
I've seen them twice and they are stunning.
I would love to work with one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

That horse's feet, and I don't "Think" I am jumping to conclusions here, are just not taken care of often enough. Drafties may have large feet, but often they a more 'healthy' than most riding horses; they have to be in order to hold all that weight! When they look like this one's (chipped, cracked, split)it is likely due to improper hoof care; this one's shoes CLEARLY need changing, or resetting, as well.
Thanks for some more input!!!

Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Oooh, Ooh, I know!!!!

Most grey horses are born bay, black, or even chestnut\\sorrel because the coat still has it's 'pigmentation'. Contrary to some 'popular' belief, a grey horse doesn't have a roaning gene, which is why his 'points' don't stay colored.

In an unborn foal, there is an abundance of pigment in all pigment layers of its tender hide. While not all hair is rooted at the same depth, even the most shallowly rooted hairs will have an abundance of pigment. This explains why the grey foal is actually born black. These shallowly rooted hairs are located in the first pigment layers, which produce a lesser amount prior to the age of one year. Most of these are found around the eyes and ears, accounting for the first signs of greying. While the first three layers of the dermis (skin or hide) contain the skin pigment, it is the next four layers which determine the hair pigment. It is the fourth of these layers which has the first pigment available, thus it is the layer that continues to produce pigment throughout the horse's life.

In the aging process, the outer pigment layers begin producing less pigment, causing the pigment to recede. This process affects the layers of pigment, but the fourth pigment layer is the least affected as it is the deepest layer. The pigment glands in the other three layers cease to function by the time the horse is ten or twelve years old. And as the fluid content of these pigment layers recede, a grey horse will develop the toughest hide of any horse, regardless of color.
Hey that's great I didn't know all that!!!

300pts

That's always been a dream of mine, to see the entire troop perform live. I've saw two of them in a traveling show that came thru town when I was a teen and of course on TV. But wow...to see them all at once would be wionderful!

Oooops! Think I hijacked the thread! Sorry!
No problem!!! I wanted a conversation started!

Originally Posted by Kelicat

That's why I guess a lipazzaner, the grey dam in the background
They usually develop the grey coat at about 6-7 years old.
I thought she might give it away

300pts

Originally Posted by kluchetta

I was just reading this...all gray or white horses are born bay or black. Their skin stays dark, but they begin getting white/gray hairs after they lose their foal coat. I think it takes about 3 years for the Lipizzaner to achieve full coat...

300pts

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BABY HORSE OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I've seen them twice and they are stunning.
I would love to work with one.
I've seen them twice also. Once when I was young, and again about a year ago with my SO. They are AMAZING to watch!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BABY HORSE OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.....he's more of a yearling, but he's soooo pretty!!!

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I am!
There are special training hours in the morning, they are not so expensive like the shows in the evening

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BABY HORSE OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.....he's more of a yearling, but he's soooo pretty!!!
Shire?

I've seen the Lippizans like 5-6 times. A few were when I was a child but I've seen them a few times recently too. Another cool show (I don't know if it is still going on) is Cheval...it is like Cirque Du Soleil but with horses.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isabel

Shire?

I've seen the Lippizans like 5-6 times. A few were when I was a child but I've seen them a few times recently too. Another cool show (I don't know if it is still going on) is Cheval...it is like Cirque Du Soleil but with horses.
You got it!!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BABY HORSE OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!