Horribly Behaved Cat, Feeling Defeated+need Help Asap

bphoto26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am seriously at a loss. I am feel so defeated and I refuse to rehome this cat because of his issues. this is Long, but is necessary to paint the whole picture.

We got our Russian Blue at three months old. he's constantly been a biter and we have tried lots of different things. hissing, spray bottles, loud noises, shrieking, distracting, not overstimulating, etc. I mean we have tried it all. he is fixed, and never stops biting. its classic bunny kicking, biting when he sees hands, doesn't learn to stop.

Our vet recommended getting a second cat, to maybe socialize him, give him a playmate, you get the picture. as first time cat owners, we didn't know any better. obviously a bad idea.

We took in an amazing siamese cat that is the sweetest cat we have ever seen. our vet wants to adopt him bc he is a literal angel. obviously him and the Russian blue do not get along. RB constantly tries to bite the neck, pounce, chasing, staring and hunts him. we have the multicast diffusers, we have tried gabapentin from our vet, calming collars, switching his diet to turkey to carb load and knock him out. the siamese constantly is put in a corner and stuck there. siamese is also fixed.

please help. I feel lost and extremely upset. rehoming the RB is not really an option right now. no one would take him for how aggressive he can be and we took this on and should stick with it. but I don't have endless money to hire a behaviorist, any help would be greatly appreciated

siamese is 2
RB is freshly 1 yr old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bphoto26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ALSO: Siamese hisses and gives clear signals he does not want to play. RB is clearly trying to play bc he will roll over after or even chase his tail. so I think its play but RB does not get the message, about biting, or playing! is this a kitten thing? will he grow out of it?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is 6, Peaches 7. Maggie tries to play with Peaches but Peaches does not want to. If Peaches has somewhere she can jump so she's higher, Maggie will stop pursuing. I have clicker trained Maggie to come when called. It usually works. I need to do it more often.

bphoto26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maggie is 6, Peaches 7. Maggie tries to play with Peaches but Peaches does not want to. If Peaches has somewhere she can jump so she's higher, Maggie will stop pursuing. I have clicker trained Maggie to come when called. It usually works. I need to do it more often.
do you think clicker training would work for biting?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When does RB bite you? Peaches is very sweet but she will bite me if my hand is above her or sitting on the ground. Only safe time is when I pat her when I am standing and she is on the ground.. If she bites me while I'm on the ground she does not stop til I get up and walk away.

Someone else on here said clicker training worked for her cat

bphoto26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When does RB bite you? Peaches is very sweet but she will bite me if my hand is above her or sitting on the ground. Only safe time is when I pat her when I am standing and she is on the ground.. If she bites me while I'm on the ground she does not stop til I get up and walk away.

Someone else on here said clicker training worked for her cat

Biting is constant. if I pet him, move something in front of him, if he even sees my hands, its a constant fixation on my hands

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine that rescues is taking one of her cats to a behaviorist. She suggested a tub or big container with crickets or filled with water and tadpoles. Something to keep him busy

bphoto26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friend of mine that rescues is taking one of her cats to a behaviorist. She suggested a tub or big container with crickets or filled with water and tadpoles. Something to keep him busy
that's an interesting thought. he constantly hunts so not a bad idea. maybe siamese would join in. he is not much of the playing type, he really prefers to sleep or play on his own. I will say, maybe you have an explanation for this, siamese and RB play GREAT together when baby gates are separating them, siamese will go play swat through the gate holes

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love to sit on my kitchen chairs that have holes in the back and try to grab a wand toy. Something about trying to get an object or a cat. They love playing hide and seek. Cats are a puzzle!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think between the 2 cats there is an issue really. That is normal crazy male kitten play, being obnoxious and I would expect if your Siamese doesn't like it, she will hiss, growl, swat, to teach him boundaries. How did the Gabapentin work? That is something you really need to play around with as far as dosage and frequency goes. I will guess the RB will mellow out slightly as he gets older. Continue to hiss at him and shriek when he bites, and just don't pet him when he is biting, if that means not petting him for awhile then so be it.

On a side note) I also would not carb load any cats esp males, carbs are literally what you want to avoid all you can with cats. Carbs and starches turn to sugar, sugar makes cats overweight and diabetic, insulin costs a fortune, this is why a canned diet is best, and helps avoid urinary blockages which males tend to get when fed an all dry carb heavy diet.

bphoto26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think between the 2 cats there is an issue really. That is normal crazy male kitten play, being obnoxious and I would expect if your Siamese doesn't like it, she will hiss, growl, swat, to teach him boundaries. How did the Gabapentin work? That is something you really need to play around with as far as dosage and frequency goes. I will guess the RB will mellow out slightly as he gets older. Continue to hiss at him and shriek when he bites, and just don't pet him when he is biting, if that means not petting him for awhile then so be it.

On a side note) I also would not carb load any cats esp males, carbs are literally what you want to avoid all you can with cats. Carbs and starches turn to sugar, sugar makes cats overweight and diabetic, insulin costs a fortune, this is why a canned diet is best, and helps avoid urinary blockages which males tend to get when fed an all dry carb heavy diet.
Oh wow I didn't know that was normal cat behavior, siamese does hiss and flatten ears, but RB never learns to chill the heck out, stormy (rb) is just ALWAYS amped up and constantly hunts and bites. he mounts Sammy (siamese) and bites his neck and chases him, I can even just sit on the couch and he will pursue biting me when I am not even slightly interacting with him, simply sitting there minding my own business. Gabapentin didn't make a difference for us. we tried two different doses for 2 weeks and we didn't notice even a slight difference. I shouldn't say carb load, I think the words she used (my vet) were to knock him out like a thanksgiving turkey dinner would for humans, so they switched him to turkey dry food, but that hasn't made a difference either.

shieara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a bitey cat that is about a year and a half old. I eventually figured out that when he bites me he wants playtime and attention. It seems obvious in hindsight, but my other cats just stare at me and meow if they want something. Sammy is a lot more direct!

One thing that has helped me is to train him to go outside on a harness. We take a 20-30 minute "walk" around the back yard each morning and it seems to help him settle down for the day. We also have a playtime sessions when I get home from work and before bed. It's hard because it takes up so much time, but he chases my girl Pixie a lot less so it's worth it.

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like your cat might be like mine and need a lot of playtime and stimulation to wear him out.