Horrendous Breath, Vet Says Everything Is Okay

lilbirdie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has the worst breath I have ever smelled. I instinctively hold my breath when she yawns near me, even if she’s several feet away. Her breath literally stinks up the room after a while if she’s grooming herself and rolling around.

Sorry if this is gross, but...if anyone here has ever had bacterial vaginosis, imagine that smell, multiply its potency by a thousand, and add a touch of rotting fish in there. That’s what her breath smells like.

Two vets have told me everything is fine, internally and externally. She has mild dental issues. I brush her teeth daily and check her gumline to make sure things aren’t progressing. She has dental chew toys as well.

Is there anything else I can do? I really can’t stress enough how terrible her breath is. It smells like how I imagine surströmming would smell.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds pretty bad! Did they say anything about your cat needing a dental? When I first got my kitten he had bad breath too. Not like BV but still yucky. The dental cleared him up. But no I don't think terrible breath is normal. If it's not his teeth something's up with his digestive system. There are some infections that can cause smelly breath too, like Giardia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilbirdie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds pretty bad! Did they say anything about your cat needing a dental? When I first got my kitten he had bad breath too. Not like BV but still yucky. The dental cleared him up. But no I don't think terrible breath is normal. If it's not his teeth something's up with his digestive system. There are some infections that can cause smelly breath too, like Giardia.
They both said the dental situation was too mild to need any serious intervention. I have a reptile with a protozoa problem right now but it’s not zoonotic, and Winona has had diarrhea maybe twice since I adopted her. Just scooped her litter box right now and all is fine. I know diarrhea/vomiting isn’t necessary for gastro issues, but I had her checked out specifically for gastro issues and all came back clear. :/

Vet said that some cats, like some people, just have bad breath. They just can’t brush/floss/gargle with minty mouthwash the way we can. So now I’m stuck.

I feel bad for Buttbreath because she loves cuddles and I can’t help but recoil away from her the second she opens her mouth, but it’s truly foul.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: That is a terrible situation! I do know that intestinal issues are difficult to diagnose & it sounds like the noxious odors might be coming from deep in the digestive tract. They also could be from nasal congestion, even if she seems to be breathing fine. Have you tried putting her on a good probiotic? Are her foods gluten free? Have you eliminated seafood? These are some of the first things that I would look into. I have been dealing with IBD since 2005 and I have yet to get a final diagnosis but I know that my own breath gets much worse when I am in flare-up & countless doctor visits and testing has not been able to pinpoint the exact "label". I had a cat named Cindy who had trouble with bad breath; it seemed to be food related and also a indicator of impending bladder issues. My cat Lance gets really foul breath when he is having nasal problems; I give him Homeopet Feline Nose Relief in his water at 10 drops per pint of good well water (you can use bottled or filtered water if you are on a municipal system). Also, I use only fragrance free/unscented litter - I have "cured" 2 cats (not my own) of chronic diarrhea just by having the owners use perfume free litter. So, if it were my cat, I would try clearing her sinuses and soothing any internal inflammation (both urinary and intestinal - you can ask your vet about using safe herbals such as slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root, mint, chamomile, lemon balm, parsley, etc.); add probiotics; research her food; keep her litter box fragrance free and avoid exposure to harsh cleaning chemicals and air fresheners (to keep her sinuses clear).
This case is challenging but very interesting. You have done excellent detective work in seeking a solution. Please let us know what you have tried and what the results are. I know that the subject can be embarrassing for some people to discuss & by posting here, you will be aiding other cat guardians in dealing with this sensitive issue. :agree:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would get a second opinion. No matter what the teeth look like to our eyes most decay happens far up inside the roots of the teeth and can’t be identified until the cats teeth are xrayed. I’m surprised the vet didn’t suggest that. I would get X-rays and have a dental cleaning (and extractions if needed). Cats need teeth cleanings regularly anyway so it would be beneficial regardless if there were serious issues or not.

lilbirdie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme Oh, I’m a dumb dumb. She DOES have allergies and congestion. It crossed my mind because allergies/sinus issues make my breath worse, but I figured hers was too horrendous to be chalked up to that. Everything is hypoallergenic, she eats high quality wet food, alternate brands/proteins, etc etc etc. I’m still trying to single out what’s causing it for her. Even if it just slightly reduces the stench of her breath it’ll be a huge relief.

cheesycats cheesycats it would be a third opinion (or fourth opinion if you include the awful shelter vet), none of the vets deny her breath is bad but they all agree her teeth are likely not the problem. She had a full body exam including x-rays when I adopted her because the combination of being fat and side effects from her spay made her belly look bloated and FIP-like. Nothing out of the ordinary was noted. I’m not sure if the vet specifically looked at her teeth, though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get an opinion from a veterinary dentist? "Regular" vets oftentimes don't have a clue about dental health.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is allergies, you could ask your vet for a recommendation on an antihistamine such as chlortrimetron or Claritin (benadryl causes cats to foam at the mouth, making them feel as if they are suffocating & some cats panic terribly and are traumatized). or before using medication, you could give the Homeopet Feline Nose Relief a go.

lilbirdie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you get an opinion from a veterinary dentist? "Regular" vets oftentimes don't have a clue about dental health.
I will probably end up doing this, I know people doctors are the same way so I wouldn’t be surprised. The only reason I haven’t had her teeth cleaned is because I feel iffy about anesthesia for a procedure that the vets said she doesn’t need.

catsknowme catsknowme Thank you! I’m going to try the drops first and ask for antihistamines during her next vet visit. I thought it was just the litter or food but now I think it’s something else in the environment that I can’t track down.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has any vet you've seen checked to see if she has an anal gland problem? This can "back up" into the system and come out of the mouth, and knock the socks off your feet. If her glands are full, or impacted (it happens!), a vet can express them and the breath problem will almost immediately be noticed to be better.
Edit: My wife had a dog that had this problem and his clean teeth yet terrible breath could clear a room when he panted. It didn't make any sense until a vet noticed his glands were really full and expressed them. The bad breath was diminished 90% immediately! This applies to cats, too!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has any vet you've seen checked to see if she has an anal gland problem? This can "back up" into the system and come out of the mouth, and knock the socks off your feet. If her glands are full, or impacted (it happens!), a vet can express them and the breath problem will almost immediately be noticed to be better.
Edit: My wife had a dog that had this problem and his clean teeth yet terrible breath could clear a room when he panted. It didn't make any sense until a vet noticed his glands were really full and expressed them. The bad breath was diminished 90% immediately! This applies to cats, too!
That's disturbing. But good to know!

lilbirdie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 I admit that out of every possible cause of bad breath, that’s the one I expected the least lmao! Since severe constipation can cause a person to smell like poop, it makes sense that a cat’s anal glands getting backed up can cause a similar issue. I actually hope this is the problem because it’s probably the most benign of all the possible causes.

I have a lot of requests to make for her next vet visit. She’s sleeping on her back right next to me, and I’m holding my breath every time she moves her mouth. I can’t live like this.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! There are so many great suggestions on the many possibilities of the cause of your cat's halitosis. I am really impressed about the impacted anal glands theory which makes TONS of sense.
L lilbirdie : you have my sympathy - it is difficult to not move away (and thus appear rejecting) from such an uncomfortable situation. I surely hope that you find answers very soon!