Horner's Syndrome?

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old tuxedo kitty, Maxine, was scratching her ears and shaking her head often. I took her to the vet on Monday and they said she had an ear infection. I believe it's yeast or bacterial, possibly both. Not ear mites. They cleaned her ears and put Claro Otic solution in it. The claro lasts for 30 days and I am not to do anything else. I noticed immediately when they brought her back from the ear cleaning, that her third eyelid was stuck halfway up her eye. I pointed it out and the vet said it could be because of the ear medication or cleaning, but that he is not concerned about it. Her eye has not returned to normal yet. I called the vet yesterday and he said i could bring her back in but there wasn't anything he could really do and it'd be best to wait until her next recheck in 2 weeks. She is lethargic and not eating as much as usual. However she is otherwise normal and still playing. She doesn't seem to have any balance or mobility issues. Her head isn't tilted but she does continue to shake her ears every once in awhile. Am I being overly paranoid or is this something that requires a second opinion from another vet? Will she be okay until her next appointment in 2 weeks? I feel so bad just looking at her poor eye like that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I had to look up that solution - and while it is for dogs, vets do use it 'off label' for cats. I did find some Q&As that suggest Horner's Syndrome can happen, because the med - as is the case with some other ear medications - can initially cause additional ear irritation. However, third eyelid will most likely return to normal as time passes, with any luck by the time of her follow up appt. Because it is not a standard cat treatment, I could not find any information regarding lethargy or inappetence associated with the Horner's, and neither was noted in side effects for dogs.

In the meantime, you might try encouraging her to eat more with some of her favorite foods/treats. Just keep an eye on her and don't hesitate to call the vet as many times as you need if you are concerned with any other negative changes. It is a good sign that she is otherwise normal and playful - I hope it stays that way!

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did they clean her ears with Qtips. Did they flush them? One must be extremely careful when cleaning and flushing cat ears, it’s very easy to damage the ear drum. Did the vet look into the ears to visualize the tympanic membrane (ear drum) after the horner’s syndrome? He should have. He also should have also cleared it with you that he was using a drug off label before use. Apparently horner’s syndrome is not uncommon from Claro. Most cats resolve after a few weeks It says on the web. It’s also important to be sure it wasn’t trauma from the ear cleaning (if they flushed them).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they clean her ears with Qtips. Did they flush them? One must be extremely careful when cleaning and flushing cat ears, it’s very easy to damage the ear drum. Did the vet look into the ears to visualize the tympanic membrane (ear drum) after the horner’s syndrome? He should have. He also should have also cleared it with you that he was using a drug off label before use. Apparently horner’s syndrome is not uncommon from Claro. Most cats resolve after a few weeks It says on the web. It’s also important to be sure it wasn’t trauma from the ear cleaning (if they flushed them).
Thats what I'm most concerned about. Is if they damaged her ears during the cleaning because they did mention she was struggling a lot. I didn't see them do the cleaning, they took her into a backroom so I'm not sure exactly what or how they did it. I've called the vet and voiced my concerns, I'm just on the fence about putting her through another stressful vet visit when there isn't much they can do, other than maybe make sure she has no damage to the ears. Or if I should just hold off until recheck because she doesn't show any signs of pain or discomfort. The vet did say they normally use a different medication but it was on backorder so he went with the Claro. I'm just hoping that because she's able to run and jump normally with no issue, then that must mean her ears are not damaged? I'm pretty sure I'm more anxious and worried about it than she is.

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I had to look up that solution - and while it is for dogs, vets do use it 'off label' for cats. I did find some Q&As that suggest Horner's Syndrome can happen, because the med - as is the case with some other ear medications - can initially cause additional ear irritation. However, third eyelid will most likely return to normal as time passes, with any luck by the time of her follow up appt. Because it is not a standard cat treatment, I could not find any information regarding lethargy or inappetence associated with the Horner's, and neither was noted in side effects for dogs.

In the meantime, you might try encouraging her to eat more with some of her favorite foods/treats. Just keep an eye on her and don't hesitate to call the vet as many times as you need if you are concerned with any other negative changes. It is a good sign that she is otherwise normal and playful - I hope it stays that way!
Thats what I've read. That it will pass with time. And I'm so hoping that is the case because it is breaking my heart seeing her eye like that and while she does still play, she is not as active as she usually is. So I'm just anxious to see her back to normal.

Thank you for the reply! I was worried about the Claro and how it said its for dogs, not cats. It makes sense that the horner’s could be because of that since she isn't really showing any other signs of ear damage. I just really hope her eye goes back to normal. I am so anxious about it being stuck that way. Would it affect her vision? She's such a playful and active cat so I'd hate to see her be inhibited. I've got her some treats and wet food. Although her favorite thing to eat is her sisters senior dry food so I'm letting her have that, whatever she wants!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would it affect her vision?
I don't believe so, since it would seem to be a temporary reaction to her ear issue/treatment. It also doesn't sound like she is being inhibited very much - other than her typical appetite and some lethargy!! Her vision doesn't seem to be impacting her from what you've explained!

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't believe so, since it would seem to be a temporary reaction to her ear issue/treatment. It also doesn't sound like she is being inhibited very much - other than her typical appetite and some lethargy!! Her vision doesn't seem to be impacting her from what you've explained!
Any ideas as to how long her eye will be like that? Its not showing any signs of getting better so far. The medication lasts for 30 days so would that mean the Horner's will last that long?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any ideas as to how long her eye will be like that? Its not showing any signs of getting better so far. The medication lasts for 30 days so would that mean the Horner's will last that long?
Most of the Q&As I read said about 3 weeks. But, that is just from a few people who dealt with it. And, on the positive side, many others had the 'staggering' behavior as well. All came at the same time, so I think from that aspect you should be in the clear. It probably won't go away all at once, but gradually. So, you might see a bit less of the third eye over time, and then more, etc. It is all really a guessing game; every cat is different, and I doubt even your vet would be willing to make a definitive prediction.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old tuxedo kitty, Maxine, was scratching her ears and shaking her head often. I took her to the vet on Monday and they said she had an ear infection. I believe it's yeast or bacterial, possibly both. Not ear mites. They cleaned her ears and put Claro Otic solution in it. The claro lasts for 30 days and I am not to do anything else. I noticed immediately when they brought her back from the ear cleaning, that her third eyelid was stuck halfway up her eye. I pointed it out and the vet said it could be because of the ear medication or cleaning, but that he is not concerned about it. Her eye has not returned to normal yet. I called the vet yesterday and he said i could bring her back in but there wasn't anything he could really do and it'd be best to wait until her next recheck in 2 weeks. She is lethargic and not eating as much as usual. However she is otherwise normal and still playing. She doesn't seem to have any balance or mobility issues. Her head isn't tilted but she does continue to shake her ears every once in awhile. Am I being overly paranoid or is this something that requires a second opinion from another vet? Will she be okay until her next appointment in 2 weeks? I feel so bad just looking at her poor eye like that.
Interesting that she had an immediate horner’s syndrome. has that been other’s experience also? That is why I have a concern about trauma. Not saying this isn’t from the Claro. And FYI: To report suspected adverse drug events and/or obtain a copy of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) or for technical assistance, contact Bayer HealthCare at 1-800-422-9874.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no specific treatment for Horner's. Though I do encourage you to phone or email your vet about eye drops. The third eyelid is used in blinking. When it is stuck up like that, the eye can dry out. When my Krista had Horner's, I was told to give her artificial tears once or twice daily until it cleared up.

Krista also had a head tilt. In her case, her eardrum was punctured during an ear cleaning. I'm sure the vet never meant to do it. I can only assume that Krista was feisty or something else unexpected occurred. With the Horners, she also had a head tilt and was wobbly. The wobbliness cleared up pretty quickly (a couple weeks.) And three weeks sounds about right on the Horners.
Horners-1.jpg
Horners-2.jpg
(She also had a feeding tube sticking out of her neck. Unrelated. Long story!)

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's no specific treatment for Horner's. Though I do encourage you to phone or email your vet about eye drops. The third eyelid is used in blinking. When it is stuck up like that, the eye can dry out. When my Krista had Horner's, I was told to give her artificial tears once or twice daily until it cleared up.

Krista also had a head tilt. In her case, her eardrum was punctured during an ear cleaning. I'm sure the vet never meant to do it. I can only assume that Krista was feisty or something else unexpected occurred. With the Horners, she also had a head tilt and was wobbly. The wobbliness cleared up pretty quickly (a couple weeks.) And three weeks sounds about right on the Horners.
View attachment 382142
View attachment 382143
I will definitely ask about eye drops for her. Do you remember what kind of, or brand, of eye drops you used? Was it specific for cats or just normal eye drops? Thankfully Maxie has not had any wobbling nor have I noticed a head tilt, it is just the third eyelid being stuck that is concerning me. She also seems to be squinting quite a bit.

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting that she had an immediate horner’s syndrome. has that been other’s experience also? That is why I have a concern about trauma. Not saying this isn’t from the Claro. And FYI: To report suspected adverse drug events and/or obtain a copy of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) or for technical assistance, contact Bayer HealthCare at 1-800-422-9874.
Yes that is what is concerning to me too. Especially since I pointed it out to the vet right away and he didn't even bother to look at her, just told me to keep an eye on it and if it looks inflamed or anything then to bring her back. That is why I was wondering if I should take her to a cats only vet for a second opinion. They'll probably a lot more honest about whether its trauma or not. I just would hate to put her through that stress for my own piece of mind since she seems otherwise okay? Especially because the cats only vet is still only doing curbside and I won't be allowed to be with her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely ask about eye drops for her. Do you remember what kind of, or brand, of eye drops you used? Was it specific for cats or just normal eye drops? Thankfully Maxie has not had any wobbling nor have I noticed a head tilt, it is just the third eyelid being stuck that is concerning me. She also seems to be squinting quite a bit.
I don't remember the kind or brand of the drops. Definitely ask the vet before using any kind of product in her eyes. The vet may have something specifically for her. Or he may be able to tell you what kind or brand to buy yourself.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes that is what is concerning to me too. Especially since I pointed it out to the vet right away and he didn't even bother to look at her, just told me to keep an eye on it and if it looks inflamed or anything then to bring her back. That is why I was wondering if I should take her to a cats only vet for a second opinion. They'll probably a lot more honest about whether its trauma or not. I just would hate to put her through that stress for my own piece of mind since she seems otherwise okay? Especially because the cats only vet is still only doing curbside and I won't be allowed to be with her.
If you are doubting or not trusting the first vet's assessment or treatment, you should seek the second opinion for your own peace of mind. As for the cats vet only doing curbside, sometimes quality cat care you can trust is more important than being in the exam room with them.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

View attachment 382142
View attachment 382143
Good point about the eyedrops. Very good point. The cat doesn’t even necessarily have to be feisty during the ear cleaning, the cleaning can just be a little too aggressive and that can do it. Keep in mind, I’m using the term “aggressive” here very subjectively. It doesn’t mean that the technician was wrestling with the kitty. it’s just very very different from cleaning a dog’s ear. I’m sorry that happened to your kitty. I gather she recovered and no longer needed the feeding tube?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are doubting or not trusting the first vet's assessment or treatment, you should seek the second opinion for your own peace of mind. As for the cats vet only doing curbside, sometimes quality cat care you can trust is more important than being in the exam room with them.
Absolutely!!!!

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd just hate to put her through so much stress again. Also that vet is notoriously expensive although I'm willing to pay if need be. The fact that she's totally normal otherwise has me reluctant to take her in again so soon. She'll be going back in less than 2 weeks anyway. She is impressively athletic and continues to jump high into the air and chase her toys with no problems at all. Would she be able to do that with damaged ear drums?
20210527_182648.jpg

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it very concerning that the vet blew you off when you mentioned the horners syndrome. That tells me either he had already been alerted to it by the technician and already looked at your kitty’s eye or it is a huge red flag that he doesn’t give a damn. Either way, I would find a new vet. If it is a multiple doctor practice, at least you may have the option of seeing a different vet there.
Your kitty is beautiful😻😻😻😻😻😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point about the eyedrops. Very good point. The cat doesn’t even necessarily have to be feisty during the ear cleaning, the cleaning can just be a little too aggressive and that can do it. Keep in mind, I’m using the term “aggressive” here very subjectively. It doesn’t mean that the technician was wrestling with the kitty. it’s just very very different from cleaning a dog’s ear. I’m sorry that happened to your kitty. I gather she recovered and no longer needed the feeding tube?
Yes. The feeding tube was unrelated to the ears/Horners. She had a fustercluck of concurrent conditions that landed her a recovery suite in the animal hospital for 10 days. That's a nice way of saying she was in a cage on IV fluids to bring her liver numbers back down, get her ear infection cleaned out, have a broken tooth extracted, and a feeding tube inserted. She was a tough one though. By the time I brought her home, she was eating without the tube. I kept it in for a few weeks for meds and in case she stopped eating again (easier to leave it than insert a new one.) On an adjustment appointment because the sutures came loose, she got feisty, yanked herself away, and left the vet holding the tube sans cat. She decided for us all when she was done with that tube. 😹
IMG_0817.JPG
This was my lock screen photo on my phone for months to remind myself just how tough she was. Those mornings I would visit her, her looking all beat up and drooling, what she wanted most was to wobble her way into my lap, and purr her head off until it was time for her to be returned to her "suite" again. 😻