Horners Syndrome And Not Eating!! Please Help :(

johnnyji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my 12 year old Curious to the vet 3 days ago because I noticed she was hiding a lot and not being her affectionate self.

The vet suspected it was her teeth and gave her a dental cleaning, as well as a full blood work and ear cleaning.

When my cat first came back she had her third eyelid covering half of one of her eyes, I was advised this would go away in a few hours as the anesthesia wears off.

For the past 3 days she has barely ate. She always goes up to the food, and sniffs it as if she wants to eat it but somehow can’t, she then walks away and licks her lips. She does however eat catnip whenever I offer it to her. I have also seen her drink water which is a relief!

Her Horners Syndrome (third eye showing) and lack of appetite hasn’t gotten better over the course of 3 days. I also notice her shaking her head rapidly multiple times a day (like a dog that just got of the pool).

The bright side is she’s back to her affectionate self, she isn’t hiding anymore and always rubbing her head against me and purring, sleeping next to me and digging her claws into me (joyfully I hope).

But it’s very alarming why she is only nosing her food and not eating it, also why her third eyelid isn’t retreating back to normal... She also shakes her head so often that I thought it was just something regular that cats do... but apparently not?

Could the ear cleaning or dental have done something to her? Advise would be greatly appreciated, I’m worried sick and I can’t sleep because of this :(

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be nauseous. If she still isn't eating or isn't getting better, she may need to go see the vet. If she isn't drinking/urinating she needs to go to vet asap. It might be worth calling your vet and asking them about it and if they can prescribe an anti-nausea drug for her to see if it helps. You can see very quickly if it is her teeth by offering her some wet food pate. You can mix in some water to make it easier to eat (1-3 teaspoons.)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do suspect the ear cleaning is what is causing her to shake her head so much, but why exactly, I can't say. The fact that her third eyelid is still showing though, is problematic, and I would say she definitely needs to be seen again. AND the fact that she is going up to her food and then walking away licking her lips is a classic sign of nausea. Something is not right,, and she needs to be seen to possibly get an anti-emetic (anti nausea drug),and also figure out what else is going on with her ear and why her third eyelid is showing.

I'm most concerned though that it's been three days since she's eaten. Cats cannot go too long without eating :sigh: It can lead to other health issues. Is she on the thin side, or the heavy side, normally?

I hate to say it, but I'd take her in TODAY, if possible. This probably means a trip to an emergency vet, but if she hasn't eaten at all for three days, other than catnip, which has no nutritional value that I know of, I think it's becoming an emergency :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnnyji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:

I took my cat to the vet as soon as she woke up. The vet examined her and thinks she has an inner ear infection. He took a look at one of he ears that he cleaned and it was somewhat black and yucky again on the inside.

He prescribed some oral antibiotics (antirobe), appetite stimulant (apo-Mirtazapine) , and onsior (which I think is pain meds?)

But there’s no nausea meds in here. I should mention that she doesn’t seem disoriented or wobbly. Should I mention nausea to my vet or do you think what he’s prescribed should be enough?

Last edited:

johnnyji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you talk to your vet about her not eating?
Yeah I did. He said it’s likely due to pain from the infection and she should start.

I just started her on he meds this morning so hopefully she starts eating soon :(

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have had a sick kitty that didn’t want to eat I have always tried to temp them with a soupy mixture of plain chicken baby food mixed with lactose free milk. Sometimes when they don’t want to eat they will still lap up something. There are also commercial Senior cat foods that are like gravy in a tube that she might eat.

johnnyji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought Delectables stew for seniors and she ate it up!!

Obviously I would like her to start eating her regular food but it’s a start! I’ve noticed she doesn’t open her mouth much when she eats and just licking mostly so the delectables senior stew is perfect!

I highly recommend for any cat that isn’t eating, a life saver

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great. She may have a sore jaw from her mouth being open when they cleaned her teeth. Next I would try a wet food that is mostly gravy like Fancy Feast grilled chicken in gravy.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad you got her in to see the Vet again and hopefully she is on the mend. Great news that she gobbled up that food!

johnnyji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw her eating regular food and drinking water again today! Very happy about that.

But something abnormal is that she’s been yowling a lot... This is not like her normal meow, this is a deeper and almost painful cry.

I know my cat and the only time she’s made that sound is on her initial trip to the vet, but that’s likely due to her being angst in the car.

I’m very worried again :( she yowls quite frequently throughout the day, and only when I got up to her and let her sleep on me does she start purring again.

Any idea what this might be?

The vet is giving her oral antibiotics, appetite stimulant and pain meds for what he thinks is an inner ear infection.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize this thread is over a year old but I'm doing a search on Horner's because my Krista came back with it after an ear cleaning.

For anyone else who lands upon this thread, that yowling followed by affection is a classic Mirtazapine side effect. The yowling means the dose is probably too high. A lower but still effective dose in my Krista doesn't result in yowling as much as she just becomes very talkative and affectionate. I hold her and let her love on me (talkative meows, purring, trilling, grooming me) for twenty minutes to a half hour. The surge passes and then she's ready to eat.

morgandhee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat, Sweet Joe is now diagnosed Horner's syndrome. He is wobbly and disoriented. We do know it is caused by an inner ear infection which we have been treating with antibiotics for 3 days now.

Johnny- after giving your cat the medication did they feel better and lose the symptoms?

thank you,

I saw her eating regular food and drinking water again today! Very happy about that.

But something abnormal is that she’s been yowling a lot... This is not like her normal meow, this is a deeper and almost painful cry.

I know my cat and the only time she’s made that sound is on her initial trip to the vet, but that’s likely due to her being angst in the car.

I’m very worried again :( she yowls quite frequently throughout the day, and only when I got up to her and let her sleep on me does she start purring again.

Any idea what this might be?

The vet is giving her oral antibiotics, appetite stimulant and pain meds for what he thinks is an inner ear infection.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista just had a surgery (ventral bulla osteotomy) to drain her middle ear infection. While she didn’t develop Horner’s this time, she is still wobbly and is expected to be on an antibiotic for at least a month. The inner ear doesn’t get good blood circulation because it’s basically outside the body. It’s an air-filled chamber bordered by skin, the eardrum, and the three bones that turn sound vibrations into chemical signals for the brain. The antibiotic is basically only effective for the infection that comes in contact with the skin. This is why the surgery was necessary.

You should discuss with your vet how long s/he expects it to take. He may need the surgery if it isn’t clearing up within a month.