Hoping you guys can help with a "crappy" situation

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I'm Susie. I haven't been on TCS for a long time and for that, I'm sorry.  Life has a way of taking us in different directions, but the one thing that has never changed is my love for my furbabies.  If any of you remember me, (which really doesn't matter), I have a situation I was hoping you guys could give me some fresh ideas on.

I have 4 kitties, Petals, 11, Tigger, 10, Bailey, 7 and Emily 4.   They've all been real good kitties and I love them like my own children.  Tigs has had some health problems in the last 6 months.  Took him to the vet and he did a bunch of tests and they all came back basically ok.  He had been losing weight was why I took him.  So he gave me antibiotics incase there was an infection somewhere and told me to bring him back if he seemed to be getting worse.  Well, he seems to be getting better and still seems fine. 

I went on vacation for 5 days almost 2 weeks ago.   When I left I put out extra litter boxes and food/water, because my friend who cat sits could only come once in that 5 day period.  I thought, well ok, I'll just give them lots of extras and they'll have eachother to keep one another company. 

I got home and everything seemed fine.  Debi said she cleaned up two vomits (which is nothing new) but other than that, all seemed well.

Ever since I got home, someone has been pooping outside the litter box.  At first it was just outside the litter box.    Now it's in different rooms!  I didn't know who it was at first, but have since caught Tigger doing it!  He hunched over the other day right in front of me here while I was on the computer!!!!! I couldn't belevie my eyes.  He's always used the litter box!

I'm at a loss as to what to do for him.  I havne't changed the litter, nor the location of the boxes.  At first I thought he was doing it out of spite for leaving them alone but I've been home for almost two weeks!  I truly don't think it's a medical thing.  I think it's a behavorial thing, but can't figure out what to do or how to break him of this!  I can't have him doing this for fear the others might start as well!  Any suggestions/help you guys could give would be greatly apprecaited!  :(

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's not doing it to spite you - cats don't do that.  It may seem so, but that's not the way they think.

It could be he missed you and still doesn't believe you're going to stay home now.  It could also be that something happened to upset the balance of power between the cats and he's trying to regain his status.

But because of his recent health issues, please get the vet to rule our any physical cause.  It could be the stress of the changes in routine during the last few weeks has caused a flare-up or new problem.

In the meantime, invest in a few bottles of a good enzyme cleaner. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:wavey: Susie!

It could be behavioral, but it might be physical, as antibiotics alter the gut flora. You might want to ask your vet to recommend some good probiotics to see if that helps.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: that you get to the bottom of the problem.